How many fly fishermen on here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caught this toad toady I'm in Bonita springs Florida

Spend your money on fly rod and line. Cabelas has a great deal on a tfo rod. Amazon has a lot of great deals on reels. Most high dollar rods you're paying for the name ( which I own sage, g loomis, etc.) but my tfo pro 2 is my favorite at $169. Because it says fly fishing they Add %30

Comment

Hey Austin/round rock guys, I forgot to post up earlier, but living waters fly shop in round rock is having an anniversary party today. One of the prizes being given away is a new Scott rod, I can't remember what the reel is, and some scientific angler fly line

Comment

Broke out the 8 wt for a bit while fishing in my yak. Caught a lot of whites and stripers on the fly and conventional.
        22"
        23"
        18"

Comment

Originally posted by simsknives View Post

Caught this toad toady I'm in Bonita springs Florida

Spend your money on fly rod and line. Cabelas has a great deal on a tfo rod. Amazon has a lot of great deals on reels. Most high dollar rods you're paying for the name ( which I own sage, g loomis, etc.) but my tfo pro 2 is my favorite at $169. Because it says fly fishing they Add %30
          some you pay for the name, but compare that tfo pro to a sage one and tell me you cant find a difference in the way they cast and feel. Or take a TFO axiom ( same class as the sage Xi3) and tell me that any of the other high end salt water rods dont give you any more. I have been fishing fly tackle for the better part of 20 years, and I can tell you there is defanately a difference in how a pricier rod fishes compared to a budget rod

Comment

I buy budget rods because the first time some rod snob makes a remark about my cheap rod we end up in a sword fight and both have to go buy new ones. I've been around rods, guns and bows for 70 years and I buy what I can afford the same as cars, trucks, houses and women. Buy what you can afford, enjoy it and ignore the snooty ones.
            Oh yea, I've been totally debt free for over 30 years.
            Last edited by holdem; 06-25-2016, 01:11 PM.

Comment

I'm a Sage man for rods but my favorite creek rod is a rod that doesn't even have a name on it. You like what you like and that little rod works so well for me in tight places.

Remember though that graphite for rods wasn't invented for better casting but for sensitivity in telling when you got a bite. Fenwick came out with the HMG graphite rods in 1973 and I immediately bought 2 of them. I had to get away from holding the rod pointing right down the line when I worked a fly as you couldn't get the advantage of the graphites sensitivity if you did. They did cast much better than the fiberglass for me.

Remember also that casting styles dictate not only what actions but to a degree, what makes of rods work best for a person. Because I have stayed with the graphites progress through the years, I tend to like the fastest action rod I can get. My friend, Tom likes the TFO Pro series and casts them great. They are more of a moderate action rod. I have personally never cast a TFO rod that I thought felt "right".

So don't worry about price but be sure to try the rod before you buy. Make sure it feels "right" to you.

Comment

Going at one of our lakes in the morning!

Comment

Caught a duck. Stupid ducks. Luckily it stayed still long enough for me to get the hook out with some forceps

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
                    I'm a Sage man for rods but my favorite creek rod is a rod that doesn't even have a name on it. You like what you like and that little rod works so well for me in tight places.

Remember though that graphite for rods wasn't invented for better casting but for sensitivity in telling when you got a bite. Fenwick came out with the HMG graphite rods in 1973 and I immediately bought 2 of them. I had to get away from holding the rod pointing right down the line when I worked a fly as you couldn't get the advantage of the graphites sensitivity if you did. They did cast much better than the fiberglass for me.

Remember also that casting styles dictate not only what actions but to a degree, what makes of rods work best for a person. Because I have stayed with the graphites progress through the years, I tend to like the fastest action rod I can get. My friend, Tom likes the TFO Pro series and casts them great. They are more of a moderate action rod. I have personally never cast a TFO rod that I thought felt "right".

So don't worry about price but be sure to try the rod before you buy. Make sure it feels "right" to you.
                    I like the fastest rod I can find too. I have a couple TFO TiCr-X rods that are super fast. Those are the only TFOs I own, but I do like 'em.

Comment

Well... I found a spot on brushy creek in hutto today... I would love to post some pics of the fish I took, but like a dumb arse I waded up to my hips and my phone that was in my backpack got wet��

I'm not even that mad, after a 70 hrs week, 2 hours in the water was worth it

Comment

wow... this thread is awesome... Is there anyone near georgetown that can help me get started,and give me some tips/ pointers on fly fishing, this loooks like a great hobby, a total new world of fishing it looks like. Cant wait to get started

Comment

Originally posted by keystone View Post
                          wow... this thread is awesome... Is there anyone near georgetown that can help me get started,and give me some tips/ pointers on fly fishing, this loooks like a great hobby, a total new world of fishing it looks like. Cant wait to get started
                          I'm in hutto, I'm not a pro by any means, but I would be happy to fish with you

Comment

Hey klooney, next month on the 30th, I'm giving a presentation on fly fishing for big bass at Living Waters fly shop in Round Rock. If you get a chance drop by, love to meet you.

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
                              Hey klooney, next month on the 30th, I'm giving a presentation on fly fishing for big bass at Living Waters fly shop in Round Rock. If you get a chance drop by, love to meet you.
                              If I'm not working I am there! If you want to fish anytime before then let me know!

Comment

I'll be on the Little Truckee River in the morning hunting trout. Hopefully I will have a photo to post.

Comment

Working...
                                X