How many fly fishermen on here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Clay C View Post
    Where were you at? The size of the fish makes me think Mexico or Belize? Wind can be beat with fly gear, just takes practice.
    Belize. Conditions were rough for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by thegrouse View Post
      Belize. Conditions were rough for sure.
      Nice. I fly to Mexico tomorrow to chase Permit. I'll be right on the Mexican/Belizean border. Besides a little rain, the conditions should be great.

Comment

Originally posted by froghunter View Post
        Anyone chased trout in Kentucky in the winter?
        I've never even thought of Kentucky as a trout destination. I would imagine it would still be warm enough there for viable trout fishing unlike places further north or west during winter.

Comment

Nice. I fly to Mexico tomorrow to chase Permit. I'll be right on the Mexican/Belizean border. Besides a little rain, the conditions should be great.
          I look forward to the pics. I think I am going to just use the fly gear for freshwater trout.

Comment

Originally posted by thegrouse View Post
            I look forward to the pics. I think I am going to just use the fly gear for freshwater trout.
            Don't give up. You'll be missing out on a lot of fun. You just have to practice.

Comment

Last week in Estes Park I picked up a new 4 weight to add to the arsenal. I tried several and decided on the Sage One. It was the ticket in the Big Thompson. Having a built in cooler along the bank was a huge plus.
              Attached Files

Comment

About to board the plane to Cancun, then a 5 1/2 hour drive. Ready to cast to some Permit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Where can i go in mid-December for a 3 day trip? Wife said i need to go away for a little bit. Was thinking broken bow but looking for some coast ideas....

Comment

About to board the plane to Cancun, then a 5 1/2 hour drive. Ready to cast to some Permit!

Post pictures!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jkk831 View Post
                      Where can i go in mid-December for a 3 day trip? Wife said i need to go away for a little bit. Was thinking broken bow but looking for some coast ideas....
                      Gona need more info!!!

In 3 days I could fish broken bow.....white river in Arkansas....roaring river in Missouri......a whirl wind trip to the Rockies in New Mexico.

or stayin Texas with more time on the water...Guadalupe....shonto ranch....any hill country river....

Then there is the coast... that time frame could get you from the Mississippi delta to the rio grande.

Comment

Originally posted by froghunter View Post
                        Gona need more info!!!

In 3 days I could fish broken bow.....white river in Arkansas....roaring river in Missouri......a whirl wind trip to the Rockies in New Mexico.

or stayin Texas with more time on the water...Guadalupe....shonto ranch....any hill country river....

Then there is the coast... that time frame could get you from the Mississippi delta to the rio grande.
                        I either want to trout fish or catch reds on the coast which I’ve never done. I’ve fished for trout all over New Mexico and can’t think of any where i would want to go in the winter. Would be open to places in Colorado. Ive been wanting to try broken bow or Arkansas but don’t know anything about them. Would be interested in guides that can put me on some redfish.

Comment

pm me when you figure out some dates. If I'm on the coast your welcome to a boat ride.

I'm planning on broken bow but am waiting on the walleye bite to start.

Comment

Originally posted by jkk831 View Post
                            I either want to trout fish or catch reds on the coast which I’ve never done. I’ve fished for trout all over New Mexico and can’t think of any where i would want to go in the winter. Would be open to places in Colorado. Ive been wanting to try broken bow or Arkansas but don’t know anything about them. Would be interested in guides that can put me on some redfish.
                            I like Broken Bow because it is only 3.5 hrs away and this time of year the crowds are down. Compared to the summer months when the banks are lined shoulder to shoulder with push button fisherman.

If you want to add about 4 hours to your drive check out the tailwaters below the Norfork dam. It is a tributary of the White and has been described as the only blue ribbon trout stream in the south.

They have a state park just below the dam for camping, or you can find a cabin along the river. The last time I went, we stayed at Charlie's Trout Resort, or something like that.

We used to camp at McClellans where a world record brown trout was caught in 1988 but they closed.

Comment

You should be on the bow of a boat by now!!!
                              Updates?????

Comment

Originally posted by hopedale View Post
                                9:30 AM — Introduction to Fly Casting
                                (Traditional and Tenkara)
                                We’ll be kicking things off with a casting class catered towards beginners. Join us for a clinic on the basic principles of fly casting. Casting traditional and tenkara fly rods will be demonstrated and discussed, with plenty of interactive learning opportunities!

11:00 AM — Basic Rigging for the Hill Country
                                (Traditional and Tenkara)
                                This presentation will explain the how’s and why’s behind rod, reel, and line selection for fly fishing our local waters. We’ll also discuss the advantages and disadvantages of different fly line tapers, and show you the knots you need to get rigged up and ready to fish!

2:00 PM — Local Hot Spots – Llano River, San Gabriel River, Brushy Creek, and more!
                                Come find out where, how, and when to fish our local fishing hot spots. We will be giving a presentation on multiple hill country rivers and will discuss fishing techniques and flies according to each river. After this presentation you can consider yourself to be armed and dangerous from a local fly fishing standpoint! If you’re new to the area, this is a presentation you won’t want to miss!

6:00 PM — Doors Close
                                Would have been nice to make that, we were working a fund raiser benefit for a friend with cancer....will there be another soon?

Comment

Working...
                                X