No announcement yet.

How many fly fishermen on here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been thinking about getting my GF an Orvis fly rod and reel for christmas, looking at the Encounter....probably get one for myself as well, just cause.

What are y'alls thoughts?

Comment

Hooked up with a guide last Wednesday afternoon in Seadrift to try fly fishing the salt. Had a blast and landed 6 reds. I should have landed a bunch more but ended up spooked a lot of fish - I need to work on my casting in the wind.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Snapseed 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	24517432

Click image for larger version

Name:	Snapseed 3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	24517431

Comment

Originally posted by Derrik View Post
        Hooked up with a guide last Wednesday afternoon in Seadrift to try fly fishing the salt. Had a blast and landed 6 reds. I should have landed a bunch more but ended up spooked a lot of fish - I need to work on my casting in the wind.

[ATTACH]879935[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]879934[/ATTACH]
        Great job! Looks like a nice day and those are some great redfish.
        Last edited by Clay C; 10-30-2017, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BETTERLUCKYTHANGOOD View Post
          I've been thinking about getting my GF an Orvis fly rod and reel for christmas, looking at the Encounter....probably get one for myself as well, just cause.

What are y'alls thoughts?
          What kind of fishing will you be doing? I have no experience with the Encounter kit, but if you are just wanting to see if it's something you'll like or not it should be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Clay C View Post
            What kind of fishing will you be doing? I have no experience with the Encounter kit, but if you are just wanting to see if it's something you'll like or not it should be fine.
            I used to FF a lot in the streams, still have a #3 but need something with a little more backbone for flats. She has tried it a little and said she loved it, so I figured it would give us something to do together. We will be hitting the flats and a little bass most likely.

Comment

Just got into the last couple of years, but it's been fun! Only freshwater for now.
              Attached Files

Comment

I used to FF a lot in the streams, still have a #3 but need something with a little more backbone for flats. She has tried it a little and said she loved it, so I figured it would give us something to do together. We will be hitting the flats and a little bass most likely.

Is the cost of the Encounter the budget you are shooting for? Or do you have some wiggle room?

Edit to add: It should work fine. You could always upgrade later if you determined you needed something different.

Comment

Is the cost of the Encounter the budget you are shooting for? Or do you have some wiggle room?

Edit to add: It should work fine. You could always upgrade later if you determined you needed something different.
                  Thanks, I'm wanting to get her something good, but not great, to start with just to make sure she will like it as much as she thinks she will.

Comment

Thanks, I'm wanting to get her something good, but not great, to start with just to make sure she will like it as much as she thinks she will.
                    I'd also look at some offerings from Echo and TFO. Both have some really good budget rods.

Comment

Originally posted by thegrouse View Post
                      I spent two days last week fly fishing for bonefish. It was my first time trying in the salt water. I caught a handful of 12" fish. Pretty disappointing. I should have used spinning gear in the salt. The wind makes casting a challenge.
                      Where were you at? The size of the fish makes me think Mexico or Belize? Wind can be beat with fly gear, just takes practice.

Comment

I'd also look at some offerings from Echo and TFO. Both have some really good budget rods.
                        Thanks, I'll take a look.

Comment

Living Waters Round Rock TX - Saturday, November 18th – INTRODUCTION TO FLY FISHING

9:30 AM — Introduction to Fly Casting
                          (Traditional and Tenkara)
                          We’ll be kicking things off with a casting class catered towards beginners. Join us for a clinic on the basic principles of fly casting. Casting traditional and tenkara fly rods will be demonstrated and discussed, with plenty of interactive learning opportunities!

11:00 AM — Basic Rigging for the Hill Country
                          (Traditional and Tenkara)
                          This presentation will explain the how’s and why’s behind rod, reel, and line selection for fly fishing our local waters. We’ll also discuss the advantages and disadvantages of different fly line tapers, and show you the knots you need to get rigged up and ready to fish!

2:00 PM — Local Hot Spots – Llano River, San Gabriel River, Brushy Creek, and more!
                          Come find out where, how, and when to fish our local fishing hot spots. We will be giving a presentation on multiple hill country rivers and will discuss fishing techniques and flies according to each river. After this presentation you can consider yourself to be armed and dangerous from a local fly fishing standpoint! If you’re new to the area, this is a presentation you won’t want to miss!

6:00 PM — Doors Close

Comment

Anyone chased trout in Kentucky in the winter?

Comment

We have been loving some North Carolina fly fishing lately. So many nice streams.

Comment

Originally posted by macguyverberry View Post
                                Just got into the last couple of years, but it's been fun! Only freshwater for now.
                                Love the bison!!

I have pictures somewhere of me bass fishing while an elk is shoulder deep in the tank and another of a zebra walking by while I'm trout fishing.

Comment

Working...
                                X