No announcement yet.

How many fly fishermen on here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Orvis just opened a new store in San Antonio, went by there yesterday. Really nice people there.

Comment

What kind of a fly do you catch a carp on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jtelarkin08 View Post
        what kind of a fly do you catch a carp on.

Sent from my iphone using tapatalk

Comment

I'm sick..but serious...all built by me excluding one stick.

Comment

Originally posted by AtTheWall View Post

I'm sick..but serious...all built by me excluding one stick.
            Congratulations, Rob. You've taken the first step. Now get yourself into therapy!

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
              anything buggy in size 6-8

Comment

I love fly fishing for trout and was going to go back to PA for the trout opener until I hurt my back.

I use a Cabelas Wind River 3wt 7'6" rod. PA streams can be really tight so love this rod for that. I think if I take up fly fishing here I will need to go with a heavier setup.

Comment

I had an absolute great time on the water this Easter weekend. We fished the ponds on our lease both Friday and Saturday morning. Friday morning was with my father in law and I landed the largest bass ever on the fly. It was actually while retrieving one of many perch. The bass hit the perch five feet from me and it was an awesome front row seat. I fought if for a bit waiting on it to spit out the perch, but it was good and stuck in her mouth and was able to land her. It was an absolute rush.

Click image for larger version

Name:	big fish little fish.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	24493205

Name:	big fish.jpg
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	24493206

Name:	perch.jpg
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	24493207

Name:	top water.jpg
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	24493208

The rest of the day was spent playing with top waters and loading up the cooler with big perch. Saturday was a different crew. Joe (one2bowhunt) and my son Aaron joined me. We finally talked my son Aaron into trying the fly rod and he was on fish in no time. I'm not sure we've converted him yet but will keep trying.

Name:	aaron first.jpg
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	24493209

Name:	partner.jpg
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	24493210

I got into a hole that was absolutely full of big perch and just kept on them until they tore up my fly. It was a fish every cast for a solid hour. I kept all the big ones.

Name:	honey hole.jpg
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	24493211

Name:	tired fly.jpg
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	24493212

Name:	joe.jpg
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	24493213

It was a great weekend with friends on the water.

Comment

I'm headed to Puerto Rico in June. Any you guys ever pull tarpon on the fly there? I am staying a few days in a house on the water with kayaks too.

Comment

Originally posted by yaqui View Post
                      I'm headed to Puerto Rico in June. Any you guys ever pull tarpon on the fly there? I am staying a few days in a house on the water with kayaks too.
                      I've heard of people doing it. From my understanding it will be more of a dredging or casting to rolling fish in deeper water type thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Clay C View Post
                        I've heard of people doing it. From my understanding it will be more of a dredging or casting to rolling fish in deeper water type thing.
                        I'll also hire a guide one day. Any advice on a guide?

Comment

Originally posted by yaqui View Post
                          I'll also hire a guide one day. Any advice on a guide?
                          No sir. Never been there. What I posted is simply what I've read from people that have tarpon fished there.

Comment

Strip and Feed Research stripping bucket. Works like a champ and has enough weight, to handle wind. Went out and gave it test run today with the 10 wt in these brutal North winds. No more blowing fly line when the wind is up....which it literally is up more than it's calm in South Texas.

Fits up on the casting deck perfectly out of the way and when I run, lays on the deck between center console and starboard gunnel.

Heavy large PVC, spiked weighted base with non slip bottom.

Chasing yellowfin next weekend offshore - will run the Laguna the following weekend for it's debut.

Comment

I gotta learn this one of these days!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Derrik View Post
                                Anyone go float with All Water Guides out of Austin before? Seems like a good option in between hitting the mountains.

www.allwaterguides.com
                                One of their guides was recently featured in a Yeti Stories video (https://stories.yeti.com/story/devils). I went to a Bass on the Fly day at the Orvis in Plano a few months ago and he did a casting lesson. Apparently he tears up the Guadalupe Bass on the Colorado between Austin and La Grange.

And actually another one of their guides was in another Yeti video...yes Townes Van Zandts son. http://myoldman.yeti.com/story/van-zandt
                                Last edited by CWP; 04-22-2017, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X