How many fly fishermen on here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
    Question for anyone that has done this. Can you put a 5-6 weight reel on a 7-8 weight or do the reel rod combo need to match?
    I am not sure I am right but I think the line is matched to the rod.
    You get maximum performance with correct line/ rod combo

You can probably use any reel but the smaller will hold less line

Comment

There is no weight of reel, there are just suggestions of weights of reels. This reel holds a 5 wt. and 200 yds. of backing. That reel also holds a 5 wt. but holds only 50 yards of backing. Of course the second one would be smaller and lighter and would be used on fish that wouldn't run as far but would balance a lighter rod better as well.

Comment

UncleSaggy's 5wt Blue Halo and my pair of saltwater sticks, 10wt & 8wt TL Johnson blanks. TL Johnson once ran a custom fly rod shop in Northern Colorado, blanks hand made one at a time. The inside is a Graphite scrim and outside is Fiberglass. Blanks have less weight than traditional fiberglass and are way more sturdy than straight graphite. Built like Seeker and Calstar offshore blanks in the offshore fishing circles - most notably stand-up tuna fishing.

The Blue Halo has SnakeBrand guides, REC uplocking reel seat and High Grade Portuguese cork grip.

The saltwater sticks have Fuji SIC Titanium guides with dual foot stripper and second guide up from reel seat. The rest of the guides are single foot Fuji Titanium with a matching TIP guide. REC uplocking reel seat and high grade Portuguese cork.

Waiting on the reel seats to arrive - back ordered from REC.
        Attached Files

Comment

Are there any waders under $250 that hold up?

Just don't have the funds in my household budget to get the $500 Simms.

Most of the reviews I read were on the brands BPS and Academy sell.

Comment

Originally posted by hopedale View Post
            Are there any waders under $250 that hold up?

Just don't have the funds in my household budget to get the $500 Simms.

Most of the reviews I read were on the brands BPS and Academy sell.
            Look at ebay for Simms waders. There are several pairs for sale now under $250.... new and used. If you get a used pair, and they leak, send them to Simms and they'll get fixed, quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
              I am not sure I am right but I think the line is matched to the rod.
              You get maximum performance with correct line/ rod combo

You can probably use any reel but the smaller will hold less line
              Ok, Thanx...kinda what I figured

Comment

Jade green showed up today. 5, 7, 8 & 10 now in some form of build state. Be glad to get this done and start fishing them. My winters and bad weather days are typically spent doing this, saving the prime time weather to fish.
                Attached Files

Comment

Sweet stick, daddy.

Comment

Finally wrapped them up this weekend. Uncle Saggy's 5 wt and a matching pair of saltwater sticks for me - 8 wt & 10 wt.

Waiting on fresh fly lines for the Lamson reels.

Comment

LOL Simek - Gracias Amigo!!!!

Hope all is excellent with the family! Tell Pops & Frank howdy for me!

Comment

Originally posted by simek View Post
                        Sweet stick, daddy.
                        You do look a lot like him.

Comment

I noticed several of you discussing brushy creek. I just moved to Hutto a few months ago and Brushy creek is in my backyard. Havnt fly fished in about five years, but I've been meaning to pull out the fly rod and try it out. If y'all get together to fish the creek let me know. I would love to get some pointers from someone who knows the turf.

Comment

A few Crippled Killers for this spring. A great wobbling, floater, diver.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
                              A few Crippled Killers for this spring. A great wobbling, floater, diver.
                              Very nice. I like those.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Has anyone purchased anything from this site?

Premium branded direct to consumer hand tied fly fishing flies. Largest inventory of trout flies, steelhead flies, saltwater flies, salmon flies, and bass flies same day free shipping. Featuring Orvis, Sage, Rio, Fishpond and other leading fly fishing brands, and huge selection of fly tying materials and tools.

Comment

Working...
                                X