No announcement yet.

How many fly fishermen on here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other thing working against me is that my fly rig is waaaay too big, generally speaking. I think it's a 7/8wt saltwater rig. But, work with what you've got and all that..
    Saltwater specific fly blanks are an entirely different breed. 7 or 8 wt doesn't dictate it's use as a saltwater specific fly rod. 7 or 8 weight ratings simply dictate the weight suggestion of the fly line's weight and rating itself.

A saltwater specific fly blank, is built with extra lift capability in the middle to butt section of the blank. It's designed to LIFT UP on big strong and way more powerful saltwater fish. The blank diameter in the bottom end of these blanks, are traditionally thicker walled and many of them are mixed glass and graphite blends, for added durability. They also weigh more than General build fly rods of the same weight class. A custom builder can make them appear to feel lighter, by building them around specific weights of a particular fly reel to points, the weight carries all in the butt of the rod, so working the tip on cast, feels very light. I build fly rods using this approach, even though the overall weight may be higher, it's felt weight in casting, is reduced due to the balance point of the rod & reel setup - keeping the felt weight in the hand and not out toward the tip.

I have an 8wt & 10wt - saltwater specific - fly blanks for saltwater fishing. They are more pricey than traditional 8 or 10 wt blanks (general use).

7 to 8 wt is an excellent big bass fly weight to fish with. Small bass, bream and general trout fishing blanks are typically 4 - 5 weight.

You can fish a 7 or 8 weight for smaller fish but, it's less sporty and, finessing to wary fish, is harder to do. Bass don't care about noise much but they will and can get shy with leaders and lines in super clear water that receives a lot of fishing pressure.

Lines are measured weights in the first 30 ft of the fly line - toward the tippet leader connection.

5 weight fly line weight - 140 Grains
    6 weight fly line weight - 160 Grains
    7 weight fly line weight - 185 Grains
    8 weight fly line weight - 210 Grains

These are the 4 most common fly line weights used for general freshwater fishing in the South.

Up North in Trout country, brooks and small streams, many will lean on a 2 - 4 weight - 7'6" to 8'6" length blank. And these blanks are designed to cast accurately out to 20 ft (small streams and brooks). I have a 2 wt at the house, 7'6" in length with a ZERO ROSS fly reel. It's dainty but it will roll casts in my living room - easily

Be cautious lifting up closely with a big fish during land. Many fly rods snap at this point, and there's a reason why so many, use a longer handled net to land fish "alone" using fly gear. Watch how many fly anglers landing trout, bass or redfish alone, extend the net out with their arm to full reach, as they net the fish. This helps reduce the stress on the fly blank with the fish lunging at close quarter.

Fishing the jetties for tarpon....many have spotters with them to help do the catch release thing. You can't really do it alone without a lot of break off or broken rod blank risk.
    Last edited by AtTheWall; 02-03-2017, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Think I'm gonna try some cold weather fishing on Sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhuntin_Toona View Post
        Think I'm gonna try some cold weather fishing on Sunday.
        Go Ken GO!!!

Good Luck Amigo!

Comment

I'm headed offshore for 3 days - chasing Wahoo and Amberjack. A little too wild and nautical for fly gear. A freezer stuffing run.

Comment

Originally posted by AtTheWall View Post
            Go Ken GO!!!

Good Luck Amigo!
            Thanks!! It's supposed to be about 40°, so it shouldn't be too bad. Gotta find some deep slow moving water on the Missouri.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Any signs of sandies moving up the river yet?

Comment

This video is about Llano River Fly FishingGuadalupe BassWinter Fishing

Had a great day on the Llano this past Friday!

Comment

How many fly fishermen on here.

Here is a fly fishing video I made from Colorado during elk season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

What fly are yal using for white bass? Clousers? What weight rod? 5 weight?

Comment

#6 Clouser. White/chart is prob the most popular color. 5 wt will work fine.

Comment

Tag

Comment

Love this thread!

Comment

Originally posted by BCorn View Post
                            What fly are yal using for white bass? Clousers? What weight rod? 5 weight?
                            Personally I use my glass 3 wt. Go to flies are #8 clouser and various size woolly buggers in all different colors.

J

Comment

Originally posted by klooney View Post
                              Hopedale, where are you located? I'm in hutto, and would be more than happy to go fishing with you
                              Originally posted by hrdwrkncwby76 View Post
                              I'm in Round Rock. I fish mainly on brushy creek but always looking for something new. There are two local clubs that you can also get help from. The San Gabriel fly fishing club and the Austin fly fishing club. The local fly fishing shop in round rock is living waters fly fishing shop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

klooney and hrdwrkncwby76 Thanks. I'm over in Pflugerville

Hit Living Waters Fly shop today. Picked up 4 new flies.

Comment

Originally posted by hopedale View Post
                                klooney and hrdwrkncwby76 Thanks. I'm over in Pflugerville

Hit Living Waters Fly shop today. Picked up 4 new flies.
                                Let's go fishing then! Brushy creek Sunday morning?

Comment

Working...
                                X