X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
      Nope, not tired of pics.

Actually was coming back to the thread to find out how your river trip went. Looks like you had a good time. I have only ever waded out to my knees on a river... how was casting wit the water up past your waist?

How was the fishing?
      Fishing was slow, there were tons of people at this little spot. I managed another little bream though.

Casting wasn't to big of a deal with water at my waist... I was getting a little aggressive and was actually in water up to my chest at on point casting into that clump of logs behind me, that actually got a little tricky!

But it was a fun day for sure... I'm in love with fishing moving water

Comment

Weekdays are some of the best times to hit places like that. The time I went to the guad it was on a Thursday. It was back when the water was pretty low and so there were like 3 other families out there (contrast that to last year when I went and I just couldn't fish.)

It was fun casting a hopper to the opposite bank and let it drift slowly down to a spot that was holding fish and watch them come up and snag em. Or there was one spot that had a big pool that had a gigantic rock in it. I would just cast up stream ahead of the rock and let a weighted clouser come back down as I kept just a little tension by stripping slowly.... small mouth after small mouth came out of that pinch in the river.

Comment

Looking for a saltwater flats/surf outfit that won't break the bank. Came across this:

Good/Bad? I like theblifetime warranty

Comment

I didn't catch this guy, but brushy creek in round rock, where I've been fishing has them in there... (Rio grande perch/ Texas cichlid)

I've thrown the box at them sight casting and can't get so much as a look much less a take... Any helpful hints or tips?

I want to catch one so bad I can hardly stand it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

No help on catching them, but I have seen them shot while bowfishing! Cool little fish!

Comment

Originally posted by klooney View Post

I didn't catch this guy, but brushy creek in round rock, where I've been fishing has them in there... (Rio grande perch/ Texas cichlid)

I've thrown the box at them sight casting and can't get so much as a look much less a take... Any helpful hints or tips?

Grubs is all I've caught them on. You'll need a tiny sinking fly to stand a chance of hooking one. Good luck

Comment

I catch them all the time on a bead head wolly bugger, or a nymph pattern.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

I think I need to find a new spot, the place I've been going is a couple of minutes from the shop, but it gets fished really hard

Comment

I caught my Rio on a mini hopper out of the guad. They are small hopper like flies that I tied on a size 12. I would cast it to the far bank and do a short strip every 5 to 10 seconds.

Comment

I think I need to find a new spot, the place I've been going is a couple of minutes from the shop, but it gets fished really hard
                        Are you fishing the same fly pattern over and over? The fish in my local pond react the same. The bite dies. So I have to move around and find new fish... or change up the pattern until I find what they can't resist.

What flies have you been fishing?

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                          Are you fishing the same fly pattern over and over? The fish in my local pond react the same. The bite dies. So I have to move around and find new fish... or change up the pattern until I find what they can't resist.

What flies have you been fishing?
                          Seems like everything! I'll take pictures some pictures this afternoon...

Nymphs, dry flies, caddis

Comment

They like a herl bead head spider with rubber legs.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by holdem View Post
                              They like a herl bead head spider with rubber legs.
                              Very nice!

Comment

Honestly, I don't know that the Rio is any more selective than a bull gill.

For bulls, with a nymph, I have had good success with a size 12/14 bead head/herl body/pink tail and hackle collar. I think it must resemble a bait fish because the little gills won't touch it.

Comment

Working...
                                X