Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by txhunter806 View Post
    Big fan of Allen fly fishing. That's a sweet reel
    Yes it is. My bro-in-law has a number of Allen products. They have really come on strong recently. Good stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by hoythunter02 View Post
      My mom on her first trip ever.
      Mom learned quickly! Congrats to her!

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
        Mom learned quickly! Congrats to her!
        Thank you sir. Yes she did...thats what their guide told her too.

Comment

Let's talk fly tying- what is really needed to get started? I would love to try it but don't want to spend too much.

Comment

Txbob, meet up with me next week and I'll walk you through it

Comment

Just about everything cost a lot in fly tying. But I have the first set of hackles and fur that I bought years ago. They last a long time. But a basic vise, thread bobbin, some hooks, feathers, fur, you can make a lot of different flies. I don't tie as much, but its all there when I want to start up again.

Comment

If you want to tie traditional trout flies, etc, the materials get pretty pricy, but do last quite a bit. I like tying flies for sunfish and small bass and you can get really creative with stuff for that.

In my opinion, the best place to spend money is on the vice. I got a $150 Peak vice because I was told a good quality vice is what can make fly tying enjoyable or frustrating. All my other tools are off brand tools and didn't cost a lot.

There is nothing more exciting than catching a fish with a fly you tied IMO, no matter how big or small the fish is. My favorite catch of all time to date was a small little sunfish I caught using a fly that I tied using buck tail hair from the deer I got my first bowkill.

Comment

That is great advice and so true. I have a peak kingfisher and love it

Comment

Swamp rabbit just about every word of that post is as good as gospel. Later down the road a few bobbins with ceramic make for a great upgrade down the road.

Comment

One of my best days fly fishing on a small stream in Texas catching these on foam spiders. Rivals any were else I've fished in the world!

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                        If you want to tie traditional trout flies, etc, the materials get pretty pricy, but do last quite a bit. I like tying flies for sunfish and small bass and you can get really creative with stuff for that.

In my opinion, the best place to spend money is on the vice. I got a $150 Peak vice because I was told a good quality vice is what can make fly tying enjoyable or frustrating. All my other tools are off brand tools and didn't cost a .

I agree with this. You can catch deals on materials from time to time. I've also stumbled across basic cabelas type kits that have decent materials (although small amounts) for cheap.

It's been a couple of years since I've looked at vises and prices. I went with a Norvise because it had the features I wanted, but there are a ton of other good vises. The only name brand tool I bought is a Norvise automatic bobbin. The other tools are all pieces I collected from cheaper kits.

Comment

You won't save any money by tying your own flies. By the time you buy all the tools and materials, you're gonna have to tie a LOT of flies to come out cheaper. But it is well worth the time, effort, and expense. As stated, catching a fish on a fly you tied yourself is very satisfying. Creating your own fly is as well. Tying is a great hobby in and of itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                            You won't save any money by tying your own flies. By the time you buy all the tools and materials, you're gonna have to tie a LOT of flies to come out cheaper. But it is well worth the time, effort, and expense. As stated, catching a fish on a fly you tied yourself is very satisfying. Creating your own fly is as well. Tying is a great hobby in and of itself.

You definitely won't save money. The nice thing is being able to customize flies. My favorite to tie are bass bugs and poppers. They are a blast to catch bass and perch on.

When I lived in VA I would tie a few dry flies, but I mostly bought them because it was frustrating to spend the time tying a dry fly and losing it in a tree.

Comment

Originally posted by SoTXAg06 View Post
                              You definitely won't save money. The nice thing is being able to customize flies. My favorite to tie are bass bugs and poppers. They are a blast to catch bass and perch on.

When I lived in VA I would tie a few dry flies, but I mostly bought them because it was frustrating to spend the time tying a dry fly and losing it in a tree.
                              Bass flies are my favorite to tie as well. It's fun to get creative and tie up something wild and off the wall, and then end up catching a bass on it.

Here's my favorite bass fly....

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                                Bass flies are my favorite to tie as well. It's fun to get creative and tie up something wild and off the wall, and then end up catching a bass on it.

Here's my favorite bass fly....

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...ad.php?t=42428

That's awesome! I'm not sure if I have any pics of
                                mine or not. They may have been on my old computer that crashed. I did get into tie foam grasshoppers with rubber legs which bass will tear up.

Comment

Working...
                                X