How many fly fishermen on here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
    I've only been fly fishing about 6 or 7 total trips around the country but absolutely love it. We are still on beginner gear (5 weight white river stuff at bass pro).

We just got back from CO and NM in late July. Fished the San Juan in Pagosa first. Caught a lot of fish right at the resort we stayed at.

The Red and Cimarron in NM was next....the Red was just ok but the Cimarron was epic....tons of fish in the state park.

And finally fished the Blue in Breckenridge for the first time. Fishing was really good for us and we can't wait to go back.

My son really got into it and caught a lot of fish....this was his second fly fishing trip and he is hooked for life.

GoPro head.....
    Awesome!! I am in the same boat as you.. I am complete novice.. I have been on 5-6 trips.. But i figured if i am gong to go on some good hunts out west i needed a good stick.. I am actually going on guided trip in florida next friday

Comment

JT, if you can get casting in the salt down you will be able to fish anywhere. Punching flies into the wind at distance really teaches you to throw a fly rod well. I learned on bass and saltwater then went to the mountains. I think it's much easier that way from a casting standpoint.

Comment

Awesome picture and good luck doc.

Comment

Originally posted by docmay View Post
          JT, if you can get casting in the salt down you will be able to fish anywhere. Punching flies into the wind at distance really teaches you to throw a fly rod well. I learned on bass and saltwater then went to the mountains. I think it's much easier that way from a casting standpoint.
          I am excited to have a guided trip..Hopefully i will learn some more about casting next week.. I am not horrible but not good.. I think the guided trip will do wonders for my casting.. I am a fast learner

Comment

Anyone have any recommendations for fishing around Glenwood Springs? I'll be headed up there next weekend. I'll be fishing the roaring fork as the house we will be staying at is on the river, thinking of also heading over to the frying pan. Other than that those are the only areas I really know of. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Comment

Great pics, Unclefish!

Doc, you have all the best equipment! I'm envious....no...jealous!!!

I will be in Idaho/Montana/Wyoming 2 weeks from Saturday and hope to have some pics when I get back.

Comment

Comment

I'm headed to white river in the last week of Oct. the leaves will be changing colors, based on past trips. Real nice fishing there.

Comment

First time fishing southern Utah this week. Good times

Comment

Comment

Way to got, Rob!

I hope to be posting some pics in about 10 days!

Comment

I had the honor of talking with Blane Chocklett the other night after the FWFF meeting. He's a really nice guy and it was neat to pick the brain of someone so ingenuitive in fly tying. I will be throwing bigger bugs soon. If you don't know who he is look him up, he's got some great patterns out there if you tie

Comment

Got my 10 weight tarpon reel in today. Getting ready for poons in paradise. Headed to Belize in early October.

Comment

Originally posted by CTR0022 View Post
                                Anyone have any recommendations for fishing around Glenwood Springs? I'll be headed up there next weekend. I'll be fishing the roaring fork as the house we will be staying at is on the river, thinking of also heading over to the frying pan. Other than that those are the only areas I really know of. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
                                It may be too late as you are possibly there already. We fished a creek called Dolores Creek or something like that a couple times back about 15 years ago. It seems like it was on the way to the Flat Tops wilderness area I think. Anywho, Dolores fished very very well with dry flies. If I'm wrong on the name someone please correct me. Tight lines.

Comment

Working...
                                X