No announcement yet.

How many fly fishermen on here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m searching for a quality used 3-4wt boat rod for trout in rivers with some tight spots so a 7’ 6” max. If you have something collecting dust let me know please.

Michael

Comment

I been thinking about a good 3wt myself. Too many irons in the fire at the moment though.

Comment

A few weeks ago in 30mph wind with a snow storm coming in.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Comment

I am going to broken bow next weekend. I wanted to get a fly fishing rig but man the prices are kinda crazy on them.

Comment

Welcome to Risen Fly!  Browse all of our products and save 15% on your first purchase with code "First". 

I ordered a 5-6wt from here the other day and have been very please and it didn’t break the bank.

Comment

Originally posted by cmh2007 View Post
              some you pay for the name, but compare that tfo pro to a sage one and tell me you cant find a difference in the way they cast and feel. Or take a TFO axiom ( same class as the sage Xi3) and tell me that any of the other high end salt water rods dont give you any more. I have been fishing fly tackle for the better part of 20 years, and I can tell you there is defanately a difference in how a pricier rod fishes compared to a budget rod
              But ask the fish if they care. I fish ( carp) with a guy that worked at a fly shop here in town. He uses sage rods and really nice Abel reels. I have a tfo and moon shine with Galvan reels. I caught in the neighbor hood of 50-60 of them this summer, he hasn’t caught one yet. He is more interested in trout though, but where we fish together it always carp we are targeting. And not a one of them has complained they were landed on “ cheap” inferior tackle. And that cheap 5 weight tfo has landed a bunch of them up to 21 pounds so far. I have been with a couple guys that have broke way more expensive rods and one was a 7 weight and one was an 8 weight. I could replace my tfo three or four times for the price of one of their rods. They have sense bought tfos for there carp rods. ( I guess they don’t want to be seen with them on the trout streams here though)

Comment

Originally posted by Brazos Hunter View Post
                I’m searching for a quality used 3-4wt boat rod for trout in rivers with some tight spots so a 7’ 6” max. If you have something collecting dust let me know please.

Michael
                I am not sure if you consider any thing other then sage,Orvis and the like, quality. But moon shine has some affordable rods that you might check out, I bought a 7 weight mid night special and really like it so far.

Comment

You missed my whole point. With the more expensive rods you tend to get better quality blanks, i build them as well as fish them. The fish may not care, but casting feel is what its all about and with the higher cost comes lighter weight and better tip feel as well as less rebound which will cost accuracy and distance. But what do i know, i build them and fish salt water with them in big wind on the texas coast.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

​Quality, affordable, fly fishing reels, rods and accessories. Lightweight design, based in the USA, inexpensive, and quality machined, make Taylor Reels the best fly reels around.

I also have two of these, my first decent rig. I highly recommend this company.

Comment

I highly recommend the Moonshine Rods. Have a 3 and 5wt and love them both.

Comment

Originally posted by cmh2007 View Post
                        You missed my whole point. With the more expensive rods you tend to get better quality blanks, i build them as well as fish them. The fish may not care, but casting feel is what its all about and with the higher cost comes lighter weight and better tip feel as well as less rebound which will cost accuracy and distance. But what do i know, i build them and fish salt water with them in big wind on the texas coast.

I get what your saying but many of us can’t afford sage and such and when people go shopping for a rod and they are tired to talking into to buying a 700 or 900 dollar rod, it scares them away. The cheaper rods may not cast like a sage, but at least they are out on the water enjoying it. And again the fish don’t really care. We would all like to drive ferrari to, but most can’t afford them either, but get by with what we can afford. I would like to fish a sage rod, but I just don’t need one to catch fish. If I could afford one, I still don’t know if I would own one.

Comment

I own multiple brands, sage, tfo, pfluger and the difference is certainly there. If you make it houston way id be glad to let you feel the differences

Comment

Anyway you slice it, rods don’t catch fish. Casting and presentation catch fish. Accuracy is paramount no matter the species. Therefore a rod that is superior in build and materials will win out. Load action and recovery rate will differ from angler to angler, cast it before you buy it... I have fished all over the world, guided in numerous states and countries and I will wholeheartedly endorse a rod of superior quality to one that is subpar (this will also be reflected in pricepoint) be it aiding a client that hasn’t the best fundamentals or a fisherman like myself that has thrown thousands of casts. Always turn to a company’s warranty policy if you question their quality, it generally will reveal how confident they are in their product. (Orvis has a 25 year, no questions asked on their cheapest rod) that, in my opinion, speaks volumes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Does anyone have a recommendation for a ready to go combo. I have looked at the orvis encounter. Are there any that compare price and quality or is that even a quality setup. Just trying to find a quality beginner setup.

Comment

Originally posted by quackerback View Post
                                Does anyone have a recommendation for a ready to go combo. I have looked at the orvis encounter. Are there any that compare price and quality or is that even a quality setup. Just trying to find a quality beginner setup.
                                I posted some previously posted.

Comment

Working...
                                X