No announcement yet.

How many fly fishermen on here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long shot but does anyone have a Cabela’s RLS+ 3 spare spool they want to sell? No idea where my 2nd spool went and Cabela’s stopped selling extras years ago. If not I’m just gonna upgrade reels so I can buy spare spools again

Comment

Hooked

I’m going to pick up fly fishing now. Currently in Iceland right now on the last stretch of our 2 week vacation. Luckily I was able to sneak away for half a day and book a fishing trip with Iceland Fishing Guide. We started the morning off with a spin rod trying to catch Arctic char and sea run brown trout, but either nothing was hungry or the water was way too cold ( I thin it was the latter as my legs were Chilled to the bone in those waders). We tried a few spots and after no bites in the honey hole, he knew it wasn’t happening.

I had sent him an email the day before saying that I’ve never used a fly rod, but that I’d be willing to try one if it meant we could fish different locations/species, and luckily I did because that’s what we did next. Mathis (guide) took me to one of his salmon rivers in the mountains to at least to try and get me on at least one fish. As we arrived to a small bend in the river, we saw 2 salmon jumping out of the water instantly! We went down to the waters edge he showed how to cast the fly, strip, and mend in about a 2 minute crash course, and off I went. About 10 casts later, I finally got a take and the salmon came flying out of the river! Fought the fish for about 10 minutes or so as I wanted to make sure that I let him tire himself out so I could land him. What amazed me during the fight was that the little pool in front of us was literally empty, but as he was fighting, he stirred up the pot and we had another salmon and a brown in front of us that had come out of holes in the pool. After landing the salmon and taking some pictures, I tried for the other 2 but the had retired to their holes.

We moved on to another “wilder” fishing location as I had to slide down the side of a vertical canyon while holding onto a rope to reach 2 deep pools that each were holding 1-2 salmon each that were at least 3 feet in length, but as you would have, they were not feeling the flies that morning. It was a heck of an experience and a quick learning lesson. Thanks to my guide Mathis with Iceland Fishing Guides as he worked to get me on a fish.
      Attached Files

Comment

Made it back to the US, now looking into getting some fly gear.

I live down in the RGV so my primary focus will be saltwater, so what would you guys recommend? I’m guessing an 8# rod, but have no idea on brands, reels, line, etc?

I’m guessing the answer is more than likely yes, but would you have specific saltwater and freshwater gear? If I start getting more into it, definitely see some freshwater trips in my future in Texas for sure!

Comment

What’s your budget?

I use the same gear (mostly) for salt and fresh but keep different spools for salt water. Just make sure you rinse your gear well afterwards and you’re good. Brands are like bows, go cast a bunch at a shop and see what you like best. I love my Sage rods but I have a couple TFO that cost less than half as much and they work great too.

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed323 View Post
            Made it back to the US, now looking into getting some fly gear.

I live down in the RGV so my primary focus will be saltwater, so what would you guys recommend? I’m guessing an 8# rod, but have no idea on brands, reels, line, etc?

I’m guessing the answer is more than likely yes, but would you have specific saltwater and freshwater gear? If I start getting more into it, definitely see some freshwater trips in my future in Texas for sure!

Shoot me a pm with your number and I’ll give you a brief run down. I have casted everything under the sun and messed with every reel worth while. When I managed a fly shop we had the opportunity to see how everyone operates their warranty as well, (who was quick and cheap, who was slow and complicated) which to me is incredibly important because you will inevitably snap a tip section.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Alright TBH Fly Fishing brain trust, two of my fishing buddies and I are planning a trip for next June/July. We are looking at western states and hoping to walk into areas to fish and possibly camp for a couple of days. Ive fished Montana on the Gallatin walking into areas, and fished a bunch of high mountain lakes in Colorado. Fished the San Juan in NM and the North Platte in Wyoming. What else would you suggest for us to look for a 3/4 day fishing trip? We would rather fish rivers than lakes on this trip. The ladies might be coming or they might stay home this time I’m not sure.

HELP!!

Comment

The Green in Utah is next on my list. June may be a bit early with the runoff.

Comment

Originally posted by jaker_cc View Post
                  Alright TBH Fly Fishing brain trust, two of my fishing buddies and I are planning a trip for next June/July. We are looking at western states and hoping to walk into areas to fish and possibly camp for a couple of days. Ive fished Montana on the Gallatin walking into areas, and fished a bunch of high mountain lakes in Colorado. Fished the San Juan in NM and the North Platte in Wyoming. What else would you suggest for us to look for a 3/4 day fishing trip? We would rather fish rivers than lakes on this trip. The ladies might be coming or they might stay home this time I’m not sure.

HELP!!
                  Western Montana. I'll be there in mid-June. Plenty of options close to each other if run-off is still an issue Plenty of potential hatches including Salmon fly.

Comment

HELP!!
                    Stay away from the Madison. Nobody goes there anymore because it's too crowded!

Comment

Originally posted by thegrouse View Post
                      The Green in Utah is next on my list. June may be a bit early with the runoff.
                      Utah has some great fishing and if they bring the wives staying in SLC is a quick jump off to a handful of great rivers

Comment

Had an epic day recently fishing with Mason Matejcek. I’ve been with him a few times and he’s a great guide.

I took a customer and we caught about 20 fish and most of them were over 26”.

I got my new personal best 28” and was the only one we measured.

I know this one was a little bigger.

Comment

HELP!!
                          My wife and I did the Provo and caught fish all day, you might also try the North Fork in Idaho/Wyoming, I have done this three separate times and it is money.

Comment

HELP!!
                            Yellowstone has some solid fishing off the beaten path.

Comment

Originally posted by Aggie_bowtech View Post
                              Had an epic day recently fishing with Mason Matejcek. I’ve been with him a few times and he’s a great guide.

I took a customer and we caught about 20 fish and most of them were over 26”.

I got my new personal best 28” and was the only one we measured.

I know this one was a little bigger.

Looks like y'all had a great trip and those are some great reds!

I'll be down near there this weekend.

These tides need to drop. Hopefully these fronts coming through will kick things off.

Also, thank you for whiting out the background. I've been loose with that rule in the past and it has come back to bight me.

Comment

Originally posted by Clay C View Post
                                Looks like y'all had a great trip and those are some great reds!

I'll be down near there this weekend.

These tides need to drop. Hopefully these fronts coming through will kick things off.

Also, thank you for whiting out the background. I've been loose with that rule in the past and it has come back to bight me.

Yes sir! Tides were up last Friday but we didn’t have an issue. He’s on the fish though and knows where to go which is why I always go with him.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                                X