No announcement yet.

How many fly fishermen on here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For a late April trip would Cancun, Key West, Boise or AR be better fishing? I prefer the freshwater fly fishing but I wouldn't mind trying the saltwater.

Comment

Originally posted by thegrouse View Post
      For a late April trip would Cancun, Key West, Boise or AR be better fishing? I prefer the freshwater fly fishing but I wouldn't mind trying the saltwater.
      Would this be strictly a fishing trip? Unless you have flexibility, I wouldn't suggest Cancun for a fly fishing trip.

Comment

A little of everything. I do want to get 2 days fishing in but I also snow ski and like exploring. I do not like loafing on the beaches.

Comment

A little of everything. I do want to get 2 days fishing in but I also snow ski and like exploring. I do not like loafing on the beaches.
          Family trip? I ask because there are some cool places you can go if you fly into Cancun and are willing to drive, but some people aren't comfortable driving their family around there.

I've been to the Keys and Everglades that time of year. had a pretty good trip, but the weather can be bi-polar. Plus if you want a guide for a couple days chances are everyone has been booked for a while.

I don't know anything about Boise, but my personal choice would be Western Montana. Although depending when in late April you could be getting dangerously close to runoff season, there should still be some good fishing to be had. Plus sights to see and interesting people to meet.

Comment

I used to drive into the interior of Mexico regularly but those days are over. No kids on this trip just my girlfriend. If we did Cancun we would stay close to the major areas. I was considering Costa Rica again but I didn't find much inshore fishing. I did Western MT this summer, but they have got a lot of snow lately. My Dad is in the Bitterroot valley so I go up there frequently.

Comment

I used to drive into the interior of Mexico regularly but those days are over. No kids on this trip just my girlfriend. If we did Cancun we would stay close to the major areas. I was considering Costa Rica again but I didn't find much inshore fishing. I did Western MT this summer, but they have got a lot of snow lately. My Dad is in the Bitterroot valley so I go up there frequently.
              Your Dad looking for another Son?

Comment

I’m having to go to Cancun in late April. Any suggestions for a guide?

Comment

I’d take a look at Breckenridge Colorado honestly, you can fish a lot of tail waters with Breckenridge Outfitters and Arapaho basin to Breck is still skiable. Gorgeous country

Comment

Originally posted by jaker_cc View Post
                    I’d take a look at Breckenridge Colorado honestly, you can fish a lot of tail waters with Breckenridge Outfitters and Arapaho basin to Breck is still skiable. Gorgeous country
                    I have called a few places in ID and the Sierras. April sounds like a tough month. I am currently looking at maybe Asheville, NC

Comment

How many fly fishermen on here.

I am currently looking at maybe Asheville, NC

If you’re interested in traveling that direction, look into the Elk River and Slaty Fork in West Virginia near Snowshoe. The upper Elk is one of the best rivers in the east for big browns and rainbows and guide rates are around 1/2 price of what is costs on Western rivers or on the Guad.

April can be high/muddy or really good depending on weather. #1 guide is Dave Breitmeier www.elkfisher.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Last edited by Mountaineer; 02-28-2019, 10:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountaineer View Post
                        If you’re interested in traveling that direction, look into the Elk River and Slaty Fork in West Virginia near Snowshoe. The upper Elk is one of the best rivers in the east for big browns and rainbows and guide rates are around 1/2 price of what is costs on Western rivers or on the Guad.

April can be high/muddy or really good depending on weather. #1 guide is Dave Breitmeier www.elkfisher.com

Glad you posted this. My brother moved to Charlotte and we are looking for options in the mountains.

Comment

Good day on the Guad yesterday. Nothing huge landed, but some real pretty browns and rainbows.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountaineer View Post

Fishing looks great. Ill be flying Southwest so have to fly into Pittsburgh so still about 2.5hour drive just like Asheville. Where is a good place to stay, eat drink up there that is close to the fishing scene? Ill have girlfriend on the trip so ill need other outdoor activities

Comment

Fishing looks great. Ill be flying Southwest so have to fly into Pittsburgh so still about 2.5hour drive just like Asheville. Where is a good place to stay, eat drink up there that is close to the fishing scene? Ill have girlfriend on the trip so ill need other outdoor activities
                              Well, it's probably more like 3.5 hrs from Pittsburgh. It's a fairly remote area and there is not much to do as for as eating/drinking especially after 8pm unless there happens to be an event going on at Snowshoe mountain. Best for fishing all day and staying in a cabin, in my opinion.

Great mountain biking, hiking, and camping in addition to fishing, from Canaan Valley (Davis, WV) to Elkins, to Snowshoe down to the Cranberry Wilderness.

I believe Asheville is a much bigger area and 'trendier' if the girlfriend is into that sort of thing. I've never been there.

Comment

Fly fishing and beer....sounds interesting.

Texas Fly Fishing & Brew Festival (TFFF) on March 23-24, 2019, in Plano, Texas

http://txflyfishingfestival.org/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpGK...ature=youtu.be

Comment

Working...
                                X