Lets talk Doggy Doors.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lets talk Doggy Doors.

I am about to have to buy 2 doggy doors to install on my house. They will be for a larger dog 70-80lbs however the dog is a puppy at the moment. I have a very nice house and do not want to install something cheap or junky. I would like something that will not allow raccoons and crack heads to enter in my house. Let me know the what you have or have had, what is good and what is bad. For what it is worth, one will be on a laundry room door that goes into the garage and one will be on the exterior door exiting the garage. Thanks.

Our dog doors are made to last a lifetime. Top-quality pet doors for your furry friend. Extra small to extra large sizes. Custom too. Get started now.

I have the door mounted one in my house currently and have the through the wall going in our house under construction. A little pricier than others but worth it IMO. Hope this helps.

Comment

I bought mine from Petsmart. Don't remember the brand.

I arrived home about 5:30 am from working nights a few yrs back.

My dachaund was in the front of the house instead of in bed with the wife. My bed room door was closed. I went in and my wife was up, since 2 am. It appears the dog woke her up barking.

She headed to the front of the house to be met in the hallway by a large coon entering the hall bathroom. I live IN TOWN. She spent the rest of the night awake listening to our dog barking/whinning to be let back into the bedroom.

I asked her why she did not let him in. She said " after I saw the coon it was every man for themselves.
      I said the coon probably just needed a drink out of the toilet. It probably did it every night. I thought it was funny. SHE DID NOT.

We close the doggy door at night now.
      Last edited by M.E.B.; 12-10-2014, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Ours came from Home Depot. It's a rough weather double flap. The magnets keep the flaps closed and there is a door that slides in on either inside or outside to keep it sealed when not in use. Woke up one morning with the neighbors cat paying us a visit, kinda caught me off guard but no big deal to me. I think to keep out pests and bad guys though you will need something more secure unless you don't mind sliding the door in when you aren't home or at night. Mine does keep the weather on the outside though, and it might be a good choice to go from the laundry room into the garage. I've only seen it on tv but they must make something that only opens when your dog gets close, like a collar or something that unlocks the door. Can't imagine how much that would cost though.

Comment

When I had my old house, mine went into a low window. I don't remember what brand it was, but it was similar to this:

Widest Selection of Window Cat Doors and Pet Doors for Sash Style Windows. Single or Insulated Dual Pane Window Cat Doors Available to Fit any Window Width. Temporarily Installed and Easy to Insert and Remove. Hard or Flexible Flap Styles to Choose from. Pet Door Professionals available 7 days a week for Assistance.

Comment

Thanks guys.

Comment

Originally posted by M.E.B. View Post
              I bought mine from Petsmart. Don't remember the brand.

I arrived home about 5:30 am from working nights a few yrs back.

My dachaund was in the front of the house instead of in bed with the wife. My bed room door was closed. I went in and my wife was up, since 2 am. It appears the dog woke her up barking.

She headed to the front of the house to be met in the hallway by a large coon entering the hall bathroom. I live IN TOWN. She spent the rest of the night awake listening to our dog barking/whinning to be let back into the bedroom.

I said the coon probably just needed a drink out of the toilet. It probably did it every night. I thought it was funny. SHE DID NOT.

We close the doggy door at night now.

I thought it was funny too.

Comment

They do make doors that open when your pet gets close to it while wearing a special collar.
                We have had dog doors, in 2 different houses now. The house we live in now had a single flap dog door that was old. I replaced it with one with 2 flaps and it's been great. I would NEVER buy a single flap dog door again, you loose too much heat/AC.
                I bought the wrong size dog door at first, so I had to order another one. I'll see if I can find the one we didn't use. If so, I'll send you a PM.

Comment

Just a heads up. If u have young kids they will escape thru it so be prepared. About 4 years ago a child in Brownwood craweld out the door and into the pool and drowned. Very sad deal. Just thought I would mention this for all with doggy doors and kids.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin View Post
                    When I had my old house, mine went into a low window. I don't remember what brand it was, but it was similar to this:

http://www.moorepet.com/Sash-Style-W...oors-s/571.htm
                    How did the dog do going in and out the window? I'm thinking about getting one of these. I can't use a doggie door because we have glass panes in the back doors.

Comment

I have the one you need. Ended up not using it will try to find it and post a pic.

Comment

We installed one but have to keep it closed because my wife's ..... cat.... will bring in her kills and usually not so dead catches to chase around the house.

Nothing like having half dead birds flying around your house squirting blood on every wall they hit...

Comment

what I looked at doing was adding a screened door in w/a doggie door.
                          that way you can still secure your house.

Comment

Security Boss Maxseal.. Ours going on 8 years and have only had to replace the dual flaps once with 2 bloodhounds using it all the time.

Americas favorite high performance pet doors for doors, dual flap superior sealing and insulating.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post
                              We installed one but have to keep it closed because my wife's ..... cat.... will bring in her kills and usually not so dead catches to chase around the house.

Nothing like having half dead birds flying around your house squirting blood on every wall they hit...
                              We've got a big tomcat that brings something in through the pet door almost every night. Mice, rats, moles, birds, snakes, and even half grown rabbits! Luckily he takes them straight into the hall bathroom and right into the tub. Some mornings it looks like the Valentine's Day Massacre happened in there.

Comment

Working...
                              X