Entry and Exit? Your head....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Entry and Exit? Your head....

Let's see some hard evidence on the ever popular broadhead questions.

Post a pic of the entry/exit wound and tell us what you were using.

Great idea, Mudshack. Hopefully I'll be prepared to do so after next Monday.

Comment

those tlocks make some mean holes, ill be sure to take a pic next time.

Comment

Hammerhead entrance, I don't have a picture of the exit it was too gory!

Click image for larger version

Name:	002.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	23815351

Comment

THAT's AN ENTRANCE WOUND FROM A MECHANICAL????

Comment

Hammerhead in action.

BTW, Mudshack this shot was very much like the one on my buck this year. Except the buck was at ground level and this doe was from 20' up.

Comment

I culled a big bodied 7 point this past week. Hit him behind the ribs about 4 inches, exited just behind the opposite shoulder. It was also with a hammerhead. I didn't take pics as the holes were too big and the trauma was too gruesome. Not fit to be seen by women and young children. I almost ruined my boots walking in blood.

Comment

This is the Doe in the video.

Doc is right this picture I posted is too Gory but I can't delete it!
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Cotton; 10-19-2006, 09:47 PM. Reason: To remove picture

Comment

Too gory?

Comment

wow thats a heck of a hole, bet that hurt

Comment

Well, I don't have any pictures to share, but I can share my experiences.

I used to shoot the four-bladed Rocket Hammerhead also. There's no denying that, with perfect shot placement as in Jeff's video, they're absolutely devastating. I made a similar heart shot on a doe. She took off on a dead run and crashed within seconds. The blood trail looked literally like someone had rolled the ground with a 9" paint roller! You could have seen that blood trail from a low-flying plane! It stopped about eight feet from where she crashed. In a matter of just a few seconds, she had literally bled out on her feet. When I dressed that doe, there was very little blood left in her body.

But when I didn't get that perfect shot placement, I wasn't always getting pass throughs. So I switched to the three-bladed Rocket Sidewinder in an attempt to trade off a little less blade for a little more penetration. The thing about mechanicals is they do use up some of your energy to open. To my way of thinking, once the arrow has passed through, any additional energy your arrow might have is essentially wasted. So I wanted a pass through as first priority and the largest cut I could get as a secondary priority.

Well, the Sidewinder has been an awesome head for me, but I still haven't ALWAYS gotten pass throughs, particularly on hogs. One nice thing about a mechanical, though, is that when you don't get a pass through, the blades will close up allowing the arrow to fall back out the entry wound, thus allowing more blood flow. A fixed blade head that doesn't pass through is much more likely to keep the hole plugged with the arrow shaft. I like the Rocket broadheads and have always been very satisfied with both entry and exit holes.

This year, I'm hunting for the first time out of pop-up blinds. So to shoot through the mesh windows, I'm using Slick Tricks. I haven't killed an animal with them yet, but from the reviews on this site, I have high hopes. If I get something, I'll try to remember to photograph the wounds.

Good thread!

Comment

i shot a javilina with a wasp jack hammer sst 1 3/4 cut and had a pass through but there was chunks on meat in the blood trail which was only about 20 yards on a heat shot i love them

Comment

I've always had a complete pass-through with the hammerheads unless like in the video it hits the opposite leg. I’ve never tried a 4 blade though.

Comment

WOW, impressive wound. FYI---I've shot the Rocket Steelhead thru the shoot-thru mesh of a DB and hit deadon at 25yds.

Comment

no doubt impressive!! I go back and forth from Steelhead XP's and Spitfire XP's (my brother uses spitfire XP's), just depends on which one I pull out of my quiver!! Both have always given me passthrus and have never had a deer or hog run farther than 60 yds!! Oh, and never had one open on shootthru mesh!!

Comment

Working...
                              X