Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some cast iron I cleaned up earlier this year...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some cast iron I cleaned up earlier this year...

My folks used to live down in Gilchrist. Then Hurricane Ike came through and wiped their entire neighborhood off the map.
    A couple weeks later they finally let residents head back in and there was nothing left. We did manage to find some of her cast iron that was laying around. Now they live about 3 miles from us up here in Katy.
    Here is one of the pieces I cleaned up. It cooks great!

Before:

After:

Looks great. Now fry up some backstraps.

Comment

Nice job cleaning that cast iron up. Now just put a good seasoning on it and you will be ready to go.

Comment

What was it like on the inside and how'd you clean it up? I've got same issue with an old skillet

Comment

Oops you already got a good season on it. My goof. Looks good.

Comment

Originally posted by bdchorn View Post
            What was it like on the inside and how'd you clean it up? I've got same issue with an old skillet
            The inside looked just like the bottom in the pic above. I made an electrolysis tank and used that to remove all the rust and old seasoning.
            After that I just seasoned with used bacon grease and the oven.

The tank is really simple to make. Just get a car battery charger, a piece of metal you can use as a sacrificial piece (it will get corroded and gunky as it pulls the gunk from the skillet), some Arm and Hammer Laundry Soda, (NOT baking soda), and a bucket of water big enough to submerge the skillet in.

You can look on YouTube for detailed instructions on how to do it. Works like a charm!

Comment

Thanks!!

Comment

Nice, history there.

Comment

Very nice

Comment

awesome!!! looks great

Comment

I've got several cast iron pieces I need to clem up. Glad I saw this thread

Comment

My dad has re-done lots of old rusted out cast iron skillets over the years. All he does is throw them into a bed of coals. Make sure the skillet turns red hot and it will cook all that rust and anything else stuck to it right off. Let it cool and wash it. You may need to hit it with a bit of sandpaper. Apply a coating of oil, put in oven to cook, and you've started your seasoning.
                        Last edited by Grizz83; 11-18-2014, 07:53 PM.

Comment

I did some for my FIL. I have a bead blaster and I used it to clean it up and then heated it up real good and oiled it. Came out great.

Comment

Looks real good.

Comment

Cool post I need to redo my Dutch oven that got rusted

Comment

Working...
                              X