When is the RUT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When is the RUT

Can anyone tell me when the rut starts around Wharton county. This is my first year hunt here and noticed during bow season I had a lot of bucks chasing doe. Im hoping I didn't miss it because I didn't have a lot of time to hunt till now.

In Victoria last weekend the bucks were chasing hard.

Comment

Several counties around Wharton County have a very early rut...end of Sept to mid October. When I hunted Lavaca County it was always in early October.

Comment

Originally posted by gator255 View Post
        Can anyone tell me when the rut starts around Wharton county. This is my first year hunt here and noticed during bow season I had a lot of bucks chasing doe. Im hoping I didn't miss it because I didn't have a lot of time to hunt till now.
        Million $ question sir. I would assume since you're further south that it's earlier than other portions of the state. Ours in ETX is ramping up or almost here. Others out west may be a while.

No one knows for sure as it can change slightly each year based on observations. Just get out when you can and hope that they are moving.

Comment

The RUT is a long period of time during which bucks have hardened horns and are ready to breed. The peak is when most of the does are receptive. Most of the does in Houston co where im at bred the third week in Oct. There will be another super rut mid November and approximately 28 days after the primary when the does that didn't take the first time come in heat again. All the bucks will be competing for a small portion of the does.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
            The RUT is a long period of time during which bucks have hardened horns and are ready to breed. The peak is when most of the does are receptive. Most of the does in Houston co where im at bred the third week in Oct. There will be another super rut mid November and approximately 28 days after the primary when the does that didn't take the first time come in heat again. All the bucks will be competing for a small portion of the does.
            Man I hunted hard that part of the month in Houston Co. and saw nothing like that. Bucks were still in bachelor groups and were barely interested in the does, if at all.

Comment

Sounds like to me. I missed the first rut in my area. I had a big 12 and 8 chasing does we have never seen before on camera. Hopefully they will show back up for the second half.

Comment

Wharton is over for a few weeks now.

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonHunter View Post
                  Man I hunted hard that part of the month in Houston Co. and saw nothing like that. Bucks were still in bachelor groups and were barely interested in the does, if at all.
                  Sorry you missed it. It was right on time. Fetus samples have shown the peak in Houston co third to last week in Oct for years. Maybe your bucks are gay.

Seriously though, the buck sightings actually drop while the does are in. Its neat hunting while they are scrapping for does.
                  Last edited by GarGuy; 11-06-2014, 12:39 PM.

Comment

this should clear any confusion about the rut.

Comment

I hunt just northeast outside of Lovelady. Houston Co. Seem to see the most action around the 8,9,10 nov. Last weekend was super slow and also the last weekend of bow season wasn't much going on. Only small bucks seem to be getting excited. Few bigger ones showing a lil interest.

Comment

Gar Guy is correct.

As soon as a buck is out of velvet, hes thinkin about it. The "rut" is when they have something that will hold still long enough. The more doe in heat combined with a higher number of bucks the more visible the "rut" is.. It happens the same time year after year, just some years are more visible than others

Comment

[QUOTE=GarGuy;9333541]Sorry you missed it. It was right on time. Fetus samples have shown the peak in Houston co third to last week in Oct for years. Maybe your bucks are gay.

Hahahaha!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by gator255 View Post
                            Long gone. The SE gulf coast counties have a very early rut.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                              Maybe your bucks are gay.
                              quote of the day here

Comment

Working...
                              X