Young but solid east texas buck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Young but solid east texas buck

This is a deer a friend of mine killed off our place last year. We didn't have any tc pics of him. Wish he wouldn't have pulled the trigger! I think he could have been a real dandy. Biologist said he was 3.5. Give me your thoughts.

Well if the biologist said he was 3.5 then he was probably 3.5..

Too bad because they haven't reached full antler potential but it's a nice E. Texas buck either way.

Our lease rules would weed out this.. Accidents happen but they won't be invited back the next year.

Comment

Man that deer HAD a ton of potential! Wow!

Comment

I know he was a beautiful chocolate 10. We have some good genetics running around that place. we just sealed the deal on the 100 acres that is smack dab in the middle of our 350 acre track and 800 acre track. It's gonna get exciting to say the least.

Comment

Some history on the place. A few years back one of the guys shot at and missed what he said was the biggest deer he's ever seen in the woods. He was on the 800 acre side. A few weeks later, a guy that had the 100 acres leased killed that deer. Scored 176 and some change.

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoodkiller View Post
            Some history on the place. A few years back one of the guys shot at and missed what he said was the biggest deer he's ever seen in the woods. He was on the 800 acre side. A few weeks later, a guy that had the 100 acres leased killed that deer. Scored 176 and some change.
            Obviously the genetics are there, I can see it on the 3 yr old with the long 4s, that's awesome. Being a small east texas place I'd say feed the heck out of it! And any deer with any kind of potential let go to 5.5. I Say 5 And NOT more because obviously it low fenced and small property. ..going longer is a huge risk.

Comment

Hard to truly "manage" and pass-up bucks that need to mature without a gate.

Comment

I wish I could get the owner on board with it. Luckily he doesn't hunt it too much. And he doesn't go chasing em very hard. He wants to go to the easiest located and comfortable rifle set up. We have 3 out of 4 of us that hunt it on board.

Comment

Sounds like a promising future for y'all and 75% of the hunters on board shouldn't be too bad at all! Good luck to y'all!!

Comment

On unfenced property in East Texas, I would have shot it too! Nice deer! I say this only if its a legal deer in regards to the management program y'all have in place. I would love to hunt an East Texas property where deer like this are left to age!

Comment

The owner owns a small oil and gas company. Some of his locations are on the property. His nephew is one of the guys that hunts it. He is also the pumper that that is working the place daily. He is able to keep an eye on the place pretty good. those two and my dad are the only ones who hunt it. They also have locations on the properties directly surrounding the place. The nephew has a pretty good idea of who's hunting and how much. There is very little pressure on the surrounding places. It seem just from scouting that a lot of the bucks are bedding on those properties. We feed and have a lot of does on ours so we might actually have something going for long term success.

Comment

Originally posted by TWOHunter View Post
                        X2....

Comment

he ain't gonna get any older or bigger now.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooper View Post
                            X2....
                            I understand it's hard, but if we don't do our part then there is absolutely no chance. At least we are giving them a chance to grow. You can't control your neighbor.

Comment

Originally posted by TWOHunter View Post

X2 id like to use some type of management guidelines at my place but I'm surrounded on 4 sides by people I have no control over.

Comment

Working...
                              X