Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lyme reminder. If you see this get to the doctor..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by twobittxn View Post
    If you can pull the tick off alive, send it in to be tested.

It only costs you the postage.
    Great info! I didn't know this was available

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
      The rochephen was horrible. Turned my pearly white teeth yellow, turned my hair white, all my toenails and fingernails fell off, burned my veins so bad they had to put a shunt in and give it directly into my heart. I took a full 3g bag in the morning and another 3g in the evening. My meds ran 20g a day. I was a big ol boy at the time hitting the weights daily for years. I lost all my tone in 6 months.

I had every side effect you can dream up, Lyme meningitis, pericarditis, congestive heart failure, Nerve damage in my heart , optic nerve damage, hearing loss, infection of the brain stem, etc I was driving down the roads and it was like I just woke from a sound sleep. I had no idea where I was, where I had been, nor where I was going. I drove slowly until I started seeing things I recognized and I eventually remembered I was driving to work on a road I drove daily.
      Man you are a miracle!!! GOD has a plan for you.

Comment

Now I will even be more worried. Pulled a tick of one this weekend at the lease. Let's just say it was in one of the worst places possible. Did lots of research on the topic while heading home. No rash yet, and praying that it stays that way.

Comment

Between Lyme Disease, and the other tick bite that turns you into a vegetarian(makes you allergic to meat), I haven't gone into the woods without long sleeves and long pants in years and years. I've pulled ticks off myself in not so fun places. I now check frequently while at camp.

Comment

Talk about some scary stuff. I always double spray and tuck my pants legs in my boots then spray my boots. I have been fortunate thus far. Glad all of yall have pulled through

Comment

that sucks

Comment

I had it when I was a kid in the 80's, but luckily the Dr. figured out what it was right off. That made all the difference, and to my knowledge I don't have any side affects of it.

Comment

Gotta make a new list now I guess!
                  1. Teach jooger17 EVERYTHING I know about hunting E. Tx.
                  2. Show jooger17 all my super secret DCNF spots.
                  3. Help jooger17 trail his daughter's first deer.
                  4. Take jooger17's daughter on a hunt for her High School Graduation Gift.

I've started your list for you Ol buddy. You ain't going anywhere anytime soon!

Comment

No doubt it changed everything about me. Most of it for the better I hope. Its bad stuff. I went through an enormous battle at the end of which, the Dr told me I would die. Gave me a couple of days at the most. They called all my family in and told me goodbye. I asked GOD for an extension to my life as there were many things I had always planned on doing. I made a list of seven major things. I finished the seventh item this summer.

Gotta make a new list now I guess!
                    I've read your post about almost dying and how you changed your life afterwards and accomplished all these things you always wanted to do. But I guess I never knew it was Lyme disease that almost got you.

Probably something everyone needs to be more aware of on this website. We are probably some of the most likely folks to contract it.

Comment

Originally posted by Texasgamehunter View Post
                      Talk about some scary stuff. I always double spray and tuck my pants legs in my boots then spray my boots. I have been fortunate thus far. Glad all of yall have pulled through
                      Me too, Deep woods off with 35% deet, spray bottom cuff of pants, pants tucked into snake boots and spray up the lace seams and top of boots, spray arms, neck, around bottom of shirt... Everywhere I can think of gets a good dose of deet.

Comment

Originally posted by cvanbrunt View Post
                        Me too, Deep woods off with 35% deet, spray bottom cuff of pants, pants tucked into snake boots and spray up the lace seams and top of boots, spray arms, neck, around bottom of shirt... Everywhere I can think of gets a good dose of deet.
                        I would be worried about the odor given off by spraying Off on my clothing. I've been using Permethrin the last couple of years with great success. The first year I hunted LANWR I had found several ticks on my clothes & one made it onto my leg and was attached pretty good. That is the sucker that got me sick. After researching I came across Permethrin, in which you spray your clothes and let it dry before wearing. It's suppose to last a few wash cycles before needing to reapply. After using the Permethrin, I haven't found any ticks on myself after coming out of the refuge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permethrin

Permethrin
                        From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Permethrin is a common synthetic chemical, widely used as an insecticide, acaricide, and insect repellent. It belongs to the family of synthetic chemicals called pyrethroids and functions as a neurotoxin, affecting neuron membranes by prolonging sodium channel activation. It is not known to rapidly harm most mammals or birds, but is dangerously toxic to fish and to cats: in cats it may induce hyperexcitability, tremors, seizures, and even death.[1] In general, it has a low mammalian toxicity and is poorly absorbed by skin.

Pest control
                        Permethrin kills ticks on contact with treated clothing.

Comment

Garguy, amazing story and unbelievable recovery. This disease is nothing to laugh at. I have a friend that has had this for the last few years and unfortunately he had Stage 3 before it was detected. He was forced to resign from the LPD and will end up in a facility as he cannot take care of himself and his wife is strained to take care of him now. He cannot talk, cannot really remember who you are most times. It is a sad situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                            Garguy, amazing story and unbelievable recovery. This disease is nothing to laugh at. I have a friend that has had this for the last few years and unfortunately he had Stage 3 before it was detected. He was forced to resign from the LPD and will end up in a facility as he cannot take care of himself and his wife is strained to take care of him now. He cannot talk, cannot really remember who you are most times. It is a sad situation.

wow very sad situation. ..how long does it take to get to that point? It seems some Docs here in Texas just dont think you can get Lyme disease this far south.

Comment

With my friend, probably a year, maybe more. We are not sure. The detection they used here in Lubbock to find out if it was Lyme was with a DNA test. He spent 8 days at the Mayo Clinic in AZ and they did not detect it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                                Dang. Sad. Some bad stuff!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X