• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dang. Thats terrible.

Ray

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We were told last week Martin laid off 90+ in Mobile, AL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We are finally getting ready to head back out to the gulf and back to work. They said we have about 140 days of work not counting any tow time or weather days. That should at least keep us busy through the end of September. I would be good taking all of October off.

Comment

Transocean keeps laying off a lot of guys due to rigs losing contracts and getting stacked. I'm just fortunate my rig is working and has contract with Chevron. We are not drilling anymore, just completions

Comment

I do some consulting work with an oilfield service company based out of Lafayette

in the 2014 1st Qtr they had 278 employees working offshore , as of 2 weeks ago they had 11

some specialized companies within the energy sector are very busy (tank cleaning) whereas others are sadly closing shop

Comment

I feel for all who have lost jobs or had pay cut in the last year and wish better times for all in the industry. With that being said I come here to not say I told you so as much as to show what is to be learned from these past bard times. Many in this thread stated that the economy would go down and even crash because of low oil prices. That statement is not only not true but the opposite of what happens. We are just now going to see the positive effects of low oil prices to the ready of the country.

This next statement is not going to go over well on this thread but it needs to be stated and remembered by all. Low oil prices hurt a select few in the field of oil and oil related business' but helps the rest of the population by putting more cash in there accounts. Again I'm not writing this to say ha I told you so but more to say hopefully on the next down swing you will be prepared to handle it in the most positive way as possible. Keep a good savings account nest egg to offset any lower pay or no pay. Being in construction I can feel yalls pain over the years. Fortunately for me times are great now but they were horrendous back in 2007-2010. It will get better keep your heads up.

Comment

Come tell that to all the restaurants, car dealers, real estate agents, clothing stores, cattle auctions, dry cleaners, barber shops, building contractors, bow shops, gun shops, lakes, feed stores, banks, and sporting goods stores around anywhere in Texas.

Comment

Heck, come tell any person in business for themselves how much low oil prices is working for the!

Comment

Originally posted by ETXBow View Post
                    Come tell that to all the restaurants, car dealers, real estate agents, clothing stores, cattle auctions, dry cleaners, barber shops, building contractors, bow shops, gun shops, lakes, feed stores, banks, and sporting goods stores around anywhere in Texas.

Cattle auctions are doing quite well.
                    In fact, cattle prices are usually low when oil is high.

The other things listed were doing ok before everyone was getting raped at the pumps. They'll be alright now as well.
                    The ones that will take a hit, are the ones that were started, or expanded too much, after the outrageous spike in oil prices.

All that being said, $30-40 oil is too low, but $80-100+ is too **** high as well.
                    I, along with most people, would be ok with $3 or so gas at the pump, but you have to admit that the $5+ a few years ago, almost screeched this country to a stop.
                    Many farmers didn't bother to plant crops because they couldn't afford the diesel to plow, plant, spray, and harvest them.
                    Cattle prices dropped because the feedlots couldn't afford to feed them due to increased cost of feed because of high diesel costs.

Comment

Originally posted by ETXBow View Post
                      Texas economy as a whole is up over the last 6 months and year for that matter. Even jobs are up in Texas across the board. Sure there are areas of the state hurting that are in oil regions but the other regions are making up for those losses. Please show.me the data saying that the Texas economy is tanking like you jsut said. It just isn't true just because you stated it. I own my own construction business and I have never been busier. That doesn't back up your statement. Again I didn't come on here to rub in anyone's face it was just a post 6 month post from the falls of oil at the end of the year when I stated economy would stay same and or probably grow over the next 6 months to year which it has.

Comment

Hey Oilfield Guys!!

Originally posted by Take Dead Aim View Post
                        I feel for all who have lost jobs or had pay cut in the last year and wish better times for all in the industry. With that being said I come here to not say I told you so as much as to show what is to be learned from these past bard times. Many in this thread stated that the economy would go down and even crash because of low oil prices. That statement is not only not true but the opposite of what happens. We are just now going to see the positive effects of low oil prices to the ready of the country.

This next statement is not going to go over well on this thread but it needs to be stated and remembered by all. Low oil prices hurt a select few in the field of oil and oil related business' but helps the rest of the population by putting more cash in there accounts. Again I'm not writing this to say ha I told you so but more to say hopefully on the next down swing you will be prepared to handle it in the most positive way as possible. Keep a good savings account nest egg to offset any lower pay or no pay. Being in construction I can feel yalls pain over the years. Fortunately for me times are great now but they were horrendous back in 2007-2010. It will get better keep your heads up.

I'm going to withhold what I really want to say here but you can leave this thread now. Goodbye

Comment

Originally posted by denowt View Post
                          Cattle auctions are doing quite well.
                          In fact, cattle prices are usually low when oil is high.

The other things listed were doing ok before everyone was getting raped at the pumps. They'll be alright now as well.
                          The ones that will take a hit, are the ones that were started, or expanded too much, after the outrageous spike in oil prices.

All that being said, $30-40 oil is too low, but $80-100+ is too **** high as well.
                          I, along with most people, would be ok with $3 or so gas at the pump, but you have to admit that the $5+ a few years ago, almost screeched this country to a stop.
                          Many farmers didn't bother to plant crops because they couldn't afford the diesel to plow, plant, spray, and harvest them.
                          Cattle prices dropped because the feedlots couldn't afford to feed them due to increased cost of feed because of high diesel costs.

Texas economy as a whole is up over the last 6 months and year for that matter. Even jobs are up in Texas across the board. Sure there are areas of the state hurting that are in oil regions but the other regions are making up for those losses. Please show.me the data saying that the Texas economy is tanking like you jsut said. It just isn't true just because you stated it. I own my own construction business and I have never been busier. That doesn't back up your statement. Again I didn't come on here to rub in anyone's face it was just a post 6 month post from the falls of oil at the end of the year when I stated economy would stay same and or probably grow over the next 6 months to year which it has.

I'd be willing to bet with a little research all of the above statements will find themselves out of sorts....... Check out state sales tax revenue (bigger than most here realize), check out new home sales, new car sales, over all retail sales in general, actual fuel volume sales and ohhhhh, when did the cattle market begin to suffer...... Coincidence....... Don't think so.... Let's not over think this but rather realize what the big driver is..... Hopefully we can find a happy medium around the $80 per barrel mark and $2.75 to $3 fuel mark.... Everyone wins there and all works great... This isn't rocket science![emoji1303]

Comment

Hey Oilfield Guys!!

Originally posted by Fightinaggies View Post
                            I'm going to withhold what I really want to say here but you can leave this thread now. Goodbye

He's not far off from his statement. Oil is big business but in Baton Rouge we are setting record sales numbers in my line of business and its because the oil business is down and the plants are booming. Not to mention there are multiple restaurants opening every couple of weeks and nursing homes are popping up faster than ever. Now if you go to a town like Lafayette and are in the oil industry things look bleak but they are continuing to build new healthcare facilities and restaurants every month.
                            Last edited by Black Ice; 05-02-2016, 11:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KR-oldmexico View Post
                              I'd be willing to bet with a little research all of the above statements will find themselves out of sorts....... Check out state sales tax revenue (bigger than most here realize), check out new home sales, new car sales, over all retail sales in general, actual fuel volume sales and ohhhhh, when did the cattle market begin to suffer...... Coincidence....... Don't think so.... Let's not over think this but rather realize what the big driver is..... Hopefully we can find a happy medium around the $80 per barrel mark and $2.75 to $3 fuel mark.... Everyone wins there and all works great... This isn't rocket science![emoji1303]
                              Save you the trouble of the research as I am doing it constantly. Keep in mind I'm am not rooting for low oil. Don't really have a dog in the fight and even if I did I'm objective enough to see the facts for what they are.

Texas Unemployment Rate going down not up over last six months. Yes one area has taken a huge hit...mining.

Sales Tax was up 2.6% for April 2016 compared to April 2015

New homes sales rose 7.8% in first quarter across the state.

Auto sales reports come out tomorrow for GM and Ford but all are expected to be on the up tick as Nissan and Toyota reported record sales for the first quarter of 2016 on Monday.. Now how much did you want to bet?

As far as cattle prices go in relation to oil....well there is little to no relation. They are both commodities and work on their on supply and demand. Don't keep up with cattle prices because they don't have an effect on economy as a whole but I would be willing to bet that coming off the high prices following drought that prices would fall with a bumper crop of calves and good grass on the saturated ground across the state. Lots food would equal lower prices. Along with number of head being sold.
                              Last edited by Take Dead Aim; 05-02-2016, 11:52 PM.

Comment

I would have to agree with most of what TDA said. The economy around here is crazy and is the same around the state.

Comment

Working...
                                X