Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
    I think money is why we all work!
    I agree! If there were no pay I dang sure wouldn't be sitting at this desk right now.

Comment

I did not mean to offend anyone and stir up crap. I said these are my thoughts and opinions. I can see how the effects have changed a lot of lives. I am not talking about the guys that left their other jobs to go to the oil field boom. I am talking about the ones that have been there for 20+ years. these are the guys that have seen the rise and fall and the success and the disaster of the oil field. These guys have not reached retirement age and are being laid off because of the drop in oil price. You are right the oil field is just like any other job and we all do it for the same reason money. Once again not here to stir up trouble

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
        PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE be saving some money!!

I am starting to see lots of the same really bad habits that left lots of guys in trouble the last time the work died off. I understand the toys and trucks thing and thats all fine and good if you have some good savings accumulated. I would hate to see some of you guys get in a big bind should the work be gone soon. I know many of you may hear "we have 10 years of work around here" because that is a common phrase but the fact is if oil ever drops so will the work. Just because the work is there doesn't mean it's worth going after to all the companies.

I give this reminder because I personally know of a couple guys with 100k+ salaries that have to finance furniture or TVs and even one that makes over 300k that never has a dime in his pocket.

Have fun but be careful fellas.
        I wanted to bring up why this thread was originally started. Sage advice.
        Irrespective of you views of the O&G industry, it affects all of us in some form or fashion. There are positives and negatives of every situation and how the current prices per bbl relates to those pos/negs for each of us individually.

Comment

Comment

All I know is I pulled out of UWTI to wait and get back in lower. Got in at $1.97, but it looks scary for oil right now.

Comment

Originally posted by rlwenzel View Post
              I have been following this thread since it started. It’s really hard for me to believe that so many people are happy about the prices of oil being so low. I come from two generations of oil field workers. I work in a gas plant. There are so many people and lives that are being affected by the low prices that it’s not even funny. The sad part about it the main people that I have seen being affected that I know are the ones that have been with the oil field their whole life. These people have sacrificed being away from their families for weeks and even months at a time so that all of you who say thank god oil is low can drive your arse to work or keep your homes warm or cool while you are there with your families and they are out tripping pipe or completing a well in the freezing cold or the scorching heat. So yes please cry and moan that prices are too high and blah, blah, blah, but remember at the end of the day the guys that brought all these luxuries to you and have worked their tails off and sacrificed so much are losing their jobs everyday so that you can say "that you are happy prices are low". Yes they make great money but when you sit back and look at the realm of things they spend half of their lives on the water or in the middle of a pasture or the deserts of west texas. Each and every one of you that say they make too much could have gone and done the exact same thing. But you probably didn’t want to work that hard or be gone from your families. So instead of despising the guys that do it you should thank them. In no way am I looking for a fight here, nor am I trying to single anyone out these are just my thoughts.

Ryan
              We all CHOOSE what job we want to work at. No one is forced to work in the oilfield or any other profession.
              The oilfield is no more important than the cop patrolling our neighborhoods or even the guy on the back of the trash truck who hauls away our garbage.
              The original point of this thread and the point of most of us "oilfield haters" has been that a down turn in oil should not be a surprise.
              Does it suck for the people/families that are affected? ABSOLUTELY!!!
              But it should not have been unexpected.

And as far as working in the freezing cold and scorching heat, I'm out there every week working in that same cold and heat, just so people can watch TV, surf the internet, and/or talk on the phone. There are many times I get called out at 2am for an outage that I repair before anyone even wakes up. The customers often never even know there was a problem.
              I've missed friend's weddings, birthday parties, get-togethers, etc. because I was either scheduled to work or got called in because I was on call.
              But I'm not asking anyone to feel sorry for me because I work weird days/hours and have to be on-call.
              I chose to work this profession, just the same as the oil guys chose to work theirs.
              And the oil guys are not doing it because they get a warm fuzzy feeling because they're providing oil/gas for people to use. They're doing it because the pay is good when the field is booming.
              Just the same as me. I'm not doing what I do because of the people who buy the products I provide. I'm doing it because I get paid.
              The oil guys chose to be away from their families for weeks, often months, at a time. But don't make it sound like they are somehow better than other professions because they do. Pure and simple, it's a job, and they chose it because it pays more than most other jobs, especially without a college degree.

Originally posted by bloodtrailer28 View Post
              thank them? For what? They are making a living and providing for their families just like the rest of us.
              Exactly.

Originally posted by mbcajun View Post
              I have been watching this thread since the start. It amazes me how some people think. I worked in the oil fields years ago when I was younger. I didn't like being away from home half my life. My younger son has been in the oil fields most of his life. Thank the Lord he is still working. But everyone should be thankful that the oil workers are willing to sacrifice half there life's for their jobs. We should stop bashing and think about what it would be like if they all quit the oilfield and we didn't have the oil for all of our convenience.
              I can't speak for the others, but my intention was not to "bash" the oil workers. It was just to put them on an equal level with other jobs.

I am thankful that there are people willing to sacrifice what they do to provide oil/gas for everyone.
              Are you thankful for the policeman, doctor, ditch-digger, road paver, carpenter, plumber, trashman, power lineman, cableTV/satellite/phone tech, bridge-builder, sewer-line worker?
              Everybody has a job to do. There is no job more important than any other job.
              If any one of these professions ceases to exist, the entire system collapses.
              There are some in the oilfield, even on this thread, who believe they are gods and deserve the ultimate respect from all the other lowly people.
              FTR, I realize this is not is not the opinion of the majority of o/g people, but just like anything else, the negative is usually what gets the most attention.

I feel compassion for the guys who are struggling with their jobs/finances right now because of the normalization of oil prices.
              It's hard for me to feel compassion for the few guys who left good jobs to chase oil money, then blow all their extra money on loan payments for all of their new toys, trucks, boats, RVs, ATVs, UTVs, etc.
              These are the types of people that I have been referring to in most of my posts on this thread, and is the original post that started this thread.

Comment

The intent of this thread was to warn those in oil patch that the drop was coming and to prepare financially & also as a support system for those in the industry that are now victims...all this other nonsense from the haters is just unnecessary noise & a distraction. Nothing being posted on the last two pages that hasn't been discussed earlier.

We understand the opposing perspective...we got it, ok?? 'Please' move on or post something of value so we can stay on track.

Comment

Hey Oilfield Guys!!

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                  The intent of this thread was to warn those in oil patch that the drop was coming and to prepare financially & also as a support system for those in the industry that are now victims...all this other nonsense from the haters is just unnecessary noise & a distraction. Nothing being posted on the last two pages that hasn't been discussed earlier.

We understand the opposing perspective...we got it, ok?? 'Please' move on or post something of value so we can stay on track.

Natural gas work is picking up. I rolled over into our Natural Gas Business Unit until otherwise. Problem is a lot of us have. So it doesn't really create jobs for other folks. Of course if it does I'll post em.

Comment

Natural gas work is picking up. I rolled over into our Natural Gas Business Unit until otherwise. Problem is a lot of us have. So it doesn't really create jobs for other folks. Of course if it does I'll post em.
                    What area of work are you seeing pick up?? We support the engines / compressors & still pretty quiet. We do have our service guys out doing overhauls & grout jobs right now though, which is good.

Comment

Hey Oilfield Guys!!

In the NE United States. That's why I'm up here. I'm in Ohio but only about 30 miles from Pennsylvania.
                      Last edited by JW; 07-20-2015, 03:53 PM.

Comment

In the NE United States. That's why I'm up here. I'm in Ohio but only about 30 miles from Pennsylvania.
                        Marathon recently bought out MarkWest in that area. From what I hear they have quiet a bit going on in those parts. I know our stock took a nice jump when they bought MW.

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
                          Marathon recently bought out MarkWest in that area. From what I hear they have quiet a bit going on in those parts. I know our stock took a nice jump when they bought MW.

Several of our inspectors were working under Mark West.

Comment

By work, I meant type of...not sure what exactly it is you do for ng. We ship / service all over the US, but Over 50% of our biz is international...it's tight & certainly can't say of any recent uptick.

Good to hear though amigo.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                              By work, I meant type of...not sure what exactly it is you do for ng. We ship / service all over the US, but Over 50% of our biz is international...it's tight & certainly can't say of any recent uptick.

Good to hear though amigo.
                              Cat?

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
                                Cat?
                                Me?? We do some, albeit very little with Cat...mostly Superior White, Ajax & Waukesha.

Comment

Working...
                                X