Hey Oilfield Guys!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Russ View Post
    I don't know much about oil and gas....but I do know they pay a premium for labor...equipment....... and especially land leases and surface damage! Not to mention....entertainment!

The way those guys throw money around its hard for me to feel sorry for them. I don't see other companies throwing money around like oil and gas companies. When gas hit an all time high and oil companies were making a record profit...we were all against them. Now prices drop....and we feel sorry for them. I just don't understand.

I know there is always a happy medium....but that is never in the mind of a big business owner. He will always want to make as much money as possible off of the public no matter who it affects! If you don't agree...ask them to take a pay cut so you can keep your job!!!!!! Will never happen!!!!

There is plenty of jobs out there....closer to home....closer to family...and more consistent! Don't jump on a fast wagon with a broken wheel and refuse to walk when it falls apart! Same with our government...don't depend on them to bail you out once the gravy train ends in the oil fields. Like this thread first started......save your money...invest wisely....and have a back up plan for yourself and family. If you don't...you are the only one to blame!
    Other than the entertainment if you don't pay a premium for the other things listed then you won't have a successful oil & gas business. You won't have good hands, good equipment, or good leases.

I can understand some of you not feeling bad for the companies but its the employees several right here on the GS, that are affected most. The ones I really feel bad for are the new guys who haven't seen it bust and didn't know it could hit so hard.

Me I save knowing it will happen eventually and won't complain about "walking" or sitting my butt at home for several months after working 250+ days a year away from home while its booming.

Comment

Word on the rig is Pioneer is releasing all of the drilling consultants and going to company employees here at the rig. This is the first time I've ever seen that... I've seen them trim the fat and keep some company guys around, but never seen them release all their consultants. We're talking about guys that range from 25 to 72, some with 50 years experience...

Comment

Originally posted by jooger17 View Post
        Word on the rig is Pioneer is releasing all of the drilling consultants and going to company employees here at the rig. This is the first time I've ever seen that... I've seen them trim the fat and keep some company guys around, but never seen them release all their consultants. We're talking about guys that range from 25 to 72, some with 50 years experience...
        Dang... I got several buddies that consult for pioneer. That sucks.

Comment

I "was" a consultant for pioneer, they are keeping all employees but that's only a couple here and there, they are keeping some consultants mainly day hands that have been there a while that are good hands

Comment

There is a great organization out there that might can help if you get in s pinch. They are the OHH. They put on hunts, shoots, and tournaments all the time to help oilfield families in times of need. They are a good Christian based organization.

13 - 14 June 2024 20th Annual Houston Saltwater Splash Fishing Tournament Port O’Connor Community Center3674 W. Adams St., Port O’Connor, TX 77982 30 August 2024 5th Annual Houston Summer Fun Pistol Shoot 12 September 2024 6th Annual Permian Golf Classic Andrews County Golf Course920 Golf Course Rd, Andrews, Texas 79714 20 September 2024 19th ...

Comment

Originally posted by trykonroye View Post
              There is a great organization out there that might can help if you get in s pinch. They are the OHH. They put on hunts, shoots, and tournaments all the time to help oilfield families in times of need. They are a good Christian based organization.

http://www.oilfieldhelpinghands.org
              When I get into a position where I can, I just found the organization I'll be donating to. Thanks for the link.

Comment

My son has been out on a rig rebuilding generators and snapped this on the way in. This is what the coast of Louisiana look like right now. He said he saw about 40+ rigs just sitting in the bay. Probably closer to 70.
                Last edited by Budman68; 02-21-2015, 09:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Budman68 View Post

My son has been out on a rig rebuilding generators and snapped this on the way in. This is what the coast of Louisiana look like right now. He said he saw about 40+ rigs just sitting in the bay. Probably closer to 70.
                  lot of those look like liftboats(could be wrong) but if you go out to west cam or south tim you will see some stacks of jack ups. Sad times.

Comment

I don't know much about oil and gas....but I do know they pay a premium for labor...equipment....... and especially land leases and surface damage! Not to mention....entertainment!

The way those guys throw money around its hard for me to feel sorry for them. I don't see other companies throwing money around like oil and gas companies. When gas hit an all time high and oil companies were making a record profit...we were all against them. Now prices drop....and we feel sorry for them. I just don't understand.

I know there is always a happy medium....but that is never in the mind of a big business owner. He will always want to make as much money as possible off of the public no matter who it affects! If you don't agree...ask them to take a pay cut so you can keep your job!!!!!! Will never happen!!!!

There is plenty of jobs out there....closer to home....closer to family...and more consistent! Don't jump on a fast wagon with a broken wheel and refuse to walk when it falls apart! Same with our government...don't depend on them to bail you out once the gravy train ends in the oil fields. Like this thread first started......save your money...invest wisely....and have a back up plan for yourself and family. If you don't...you are the only one to blame!
                    Before the building bust, I went on trips to cancun, Bahamas, a cruise and went to Vegas and they handed me a envelope with $2500 cash to play with. My wife went with me on every one, all expenses paid. And I quit a job to chase $ and missed out on Europe. There were also golf tournaments and blow out dove hunts put on by our lumber supplier every year. We earned every bit of it by meeting goals set by the particular company. They were making it and gave some back to keep everyone happy.

Comment

Not sure I agree with the conclusion, but interesting nonetheless.

Comment

Very well said! I don't think anyone can argue with this post!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lmartin5 View Post
                          Very well said! I don't think anyone can argue with this post!!!
                          Other than about half of it is incorrect and his opinion...lol

Comment

We had a guy come out and assess us on location today. I passed the exam with 100% and he posted quality remarks calling me a "valuable asset to the company", and this will go to my bosses as well as corporate headquarters in Houston. Word is another round of lay off's are coming as early as tomorrow, maybe that will help keep me floating.

Comment

Why do guys with a problem with oilfield people keep coming to an oilfield thread?? Surely it's to help, offer support, or add something constructive right

Comment

Originally posted by jooger17 View Post
                                We had a guy come out and assess us on location today. I passed the exam with 100% and he posted quality remarks calling me a "valuable asset to the company", and this will go to my bosses as well as corporate headquarters in Houston. Word is another round of lay off's are coming as early as tomorrow, maybe that will help keep me floating.
                                That's always good

Word is we have a BIG pay cut coming. Even though it would still be good money it will likely be low enough it's not worth the time away to me or my wife. She is looking for work and I may just bow out and come back at a later time.

Comment

Working...
                                X