Hey Oilfield Guys!!

Originally posted by gingib View Post
    And this is why the thread originated was for people like this

No job and you go make a big purchase?

Thank you

Originally posted by gingib View Post
    A Dave Ramsey kinda guy

AKA someone with common sense and finances

TO EACH THEIR OWN.....BUT MAN THAT ISNT TOO SMART!
    Thanks for the support.
    I was starting to think maybe I was doing things wrong since people were defending the jobless guy's 15k ranger purchase.
    Last edited by denowt; 02-13-2015, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Hercules Offshore is laying off 30% or roughly 670.

Comment

Originally posted by miket View Post
        I sometimes get financing for things I could pay cash for. Its called liquidity.

I've done the same in the past, especially if the interest rate was very low.
        I've always had income coming in to pay the monthly payment though.
        I wasn't paying the payment out of my savings while I was jobless, with the hopes of obtaining another job before the savings ran out.
        I guess some people are just more comfortable taking risks with their money and ability to support their families than I am.

Comment

Originally posted by denowt View Post
          Thanks for the support.
          I was starting to think maybe I was doing things wrong since people were defending the jobless guy's 15k ranger purchase.
          It doesnt make sense anyway you look at it! Even if she has a job you are down 30-60% of your income I assume. Even at a low interest rate you are tying yourself up for 3-5 years. It is still spending 15k anyway you look at it

Comment

I wasn't paying the payment out of my savings while I was jobless, with the hopes of obtaining another job before the savings ran out.
            I guess some people are just more comfortable taking risks with their money and ability to support their families than I am.
            I was merely responding to that particular comment. I agree with pretty much everything else you have written. Personally I have postponed a large purchase due to low oil prices because of the risk even though I still have a job and really doubt I'll get layed off. ( but who really knows? )

Comment

Originally posted by miket View Post
              I was merely responding to that particular comment. I agree with pretty much everything else you have written. Personally I have postponed a large purchase due to low oil prices because of the risk even though I still have a job and really doubt I'll get layed off. ( but who really knows? )

Cool, thanks for the clarification.

Comment

Comment

sitting at 53.12 right now!!!! Gonna be a good day boys

Comment

It's hitting $60 on London mkt.

Comment

Originally posted by Neck View Post
                      Hercules Offshore is laying off 30% or roughly 670.
                      Link?

Comment

Originally posted by txjustin View Post
                        Link?
                        Hercules Offshore reports a much smaller-than-expected quarterly loss as the company reins in costs to cope with falling demand due to a slump in crude oil prices.

Comment

My company cut our hours down to equal a 26% gross pay cut. Across the board for 550 offshore personnel. Knew it was coming since they don't want to lay anyone off. Also urine & hair testing over 3,000 worldwide employees in the group of companies that our parent organization has control over. Say GOODBYE to the Dopers!! Good riddance!

Been expecting this since oil started the slide. Good luck everyone.

Comment

Thanks!

Wow, not only cut 30% of their workforce, but stopped contributing to their 401ks!

Comment

This is all terrible. This really reminds me I sometimes take my job for granted(operator at a power plant), including my pay and benefits. Good luck to all being affected. Considered leaving for the oil/gas industry To get away from the shift work, but really am blessed I didnt get the jobs i applied for. Hope a happy medium can be found where everyone is happy but probably never will

Comment

You don't realize that some guys who's rigs get stacked have been making over $1500 per day for the last several years.. I know many with 200-300k just sitting in bank accounts. Then it's smart for him to finance to minimize what he pays out of that before his job comes back. Not everyone out there makes $20/hr.

I didn't start this thread to warn all guys just most. I could lose my job tomorrow and not worry about buying a new house but I know many who can lose theirs and be worried about food next week so every situation is different.

Comment

Working...
                                X