No announcement yet.

Personal property when buying a home?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Technically everything in the house and on rhe land is now his personal property. Hard to say what I would do. If they never said they wanted the fridge and I thought it was mine when we signed the papers then I would keep it.

Comment

What does the contract say?

Comment

If it's not connected (besides the power cord ) to the house in some way I could see it being considered personal property. I think that's how the property insurance world works at least. For the record, I am not in real estate, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Comment

Originally posted by Epack View Post
          What does the contract say?
          I didn't see anything about a fridge at all. Maybe I over looked it (I glanced at it pretty quick.) He asked his realtor about it and she said she would get back with him in the morning. He'd prefer if he didn't have to buy a new one, but its not worth fighting over either. He has enough on his plate trying to get unpacked and get a few minor things fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Stuck View Post
            No. Its his fridge. Sounds to me like it was an after thought. He now owns the house and the property. If the a/c goes out tonight did the seller also forget to replace that? No, its in your brothers dime.
            This.Anything that doesn't work after signing is on you. If you were to call them to fix anything they would tell you to pound sand. But it really boils down to what your brother feels is the right thing to do.

Comment

The refrigerator is personal property and not part of the house. However, the seller must remove all personal property prior to closing. He doesn't have to let them remove the refrigerator after the sale has been funded.

Comment

The facts are all here so you decide. The answer however lies in whether you allow them to have the fridge.

In regards to insurance, it is covered under the policy with your Brother as the named insured. It is indeed personal property but that is neither here nor there and has nothing to do with the fact that the oh I forgot something in the house, garage, or attic. Once he took possession......he literally, took possession.

My numbskull grandmother sold the house, a little house elsewhere on property, boat house, boats, trucks, tractors, and everything in a house without letting the family know. We went back to ask if we could grab a couple bird houses that my grandfather built before he died. Guy told us to get the heck off his property.....no...my stuff...not your stuff...and he was correct

Comment

Should be listed in the papers you signed what they are and are not taking. If it is not listed then it is yours.

Comment

I'd offer to let him have it for half price......

It's yours to sell, keep or give away.

Comment

if the appliances were not included in the contract to purchase , he has no right to them,,, if the contract said house and appliances then they are his,,,, I am about to sell my house now and looked at the paperwork just Wednesday ,,, in my house we are including them because when we move we want all new stuff,,

Comment

When I closed on my house we went over after I received my keys. The previous owners were moving stuff out and the guy was in the shower. A bit awkward.

Comment

It's petty.....on the seller's part. If they wanted it, they should've been a little more prompt.

Your fridge.

Comment

Ask him to bring a 12-pack of your favorite beer and you'll help him move it

Comment

Mistakes are made but the realtor/realtors and brokers dropped the ball in this instance. That's what TREC contracts are for, to list "exclusions" that address property like this. As I believe, it is now yours with closing done. If it was NOT in the contract and even NOT verbally agreed to, it's too late I would think.

Comment

Working...
                              X