No announcement yet.

2014 Panhandle Rut/Hunting Report Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We havent been up in a few weeks but it was slow last time we were. We will be heading to childress for the md season and see what happens.

Comment

My buddy is at our place in McLean and is seeing lots of does and small bucks but the mature bucks have disappeared this year to date. Hoping the rut will kick off soon and get them moving.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry View Post
        Not a thing moving this morning for me. BP 29.45 means they shouldn't be moving if you put any stock in the barometer.
        What's the "movement" range?

Comment

Originally posted by kry226 View Post
          What's the "movement" range?

Im no expert im just now starting to read up on it more but i think its 30.20 and rising.

Comment

Originally posted by arrowslinger View Post
            Im no expert im just now starting to read up on it more but i think its 30.20 and rising.
            Thanks!

Comment

Maybe Lary has some better information on it and will chime in.

Comment

Lots of deer moving in this wind. I saw several on the way to work. My son is out and has deer at his feeder. A buck we call steer deer is hogging his corn. I guess ole dad will try to burn his tag on steer deer this week and put a grizz trick through his lungs.

Comment

Saw one small, young 6 point Saturday morning before the rains cut loose and nothing Saturday evening after the rains stopped. Did see one cull buck this morning and put the hammer on him at about 18 yards. He only made it about 40 yards. Will post picks later. Still very slow as all I saw was the 2 deer. Probably had somewhere around 3" of rains in 2 storms Saturday..

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                    Saw one small, young 6 point Saturday morning before the rains cut loose and nothing Saturday evening after the rains stopped. Did see one cull buck this morning and put the hammer on him at about 18 yards. He only made it about 40 yards. Will post picks later. Still very slow as all I saw was the 2 deer. Probably had somewhere around 3" of rains in 2 storms Saturday..
                    How bad are the roads now. I know the winds will help, but I need to get to he back of the ranch this week. I would prefer not to have to rut the roads and use 4 wheel drive

Comment

Nada again this evening. Didn't expect much and was right.

Comment

Same here. Nothing doing.

Comment

Roads will be fine. They were still soupy this morning, but dried out a lot by this afternoon. I left at one and they were rutted, but no problems.

Comment

One of the cull bucks we had targeted made the mistake and came to the feeder I was at and gave me a quartering away shot at about 18 yards at about 7:15 this morning. Put a go good shot on him and he mule kicked, jumped the fence and only made it about 40 yards. I could see my blind and feeder where he fell. Not much blood but when you tuck it behind the shoulder the blood can be sparce when they run. Tracks were easy to follow as it rained like crazy yesterday. His right side is a typical 4 point, but small and a broken brow tine and G2, but his left side is really with a broken brow tine and a fork, but. Way wider from the center of his head than the other side. He is definitely a Whopper Jawed buck and probably at least 3.5 to 4.5 years old. I am now out of buck tags and will concentrate on does and pigs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0377.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	355.4 KB
ID:	24347123

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0378.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	257.5 KB
ID:	24347124

Comment

Good cull.

Comment

2014 Panhandle Rut/Hunting Report Thread

Well I have only been seeing mulies so I went and set up on a whole new section about 10 miles away. Sat on a fence line between crp and wheat field. I saw a big buck (160+) chasing across the road at 1:30 on my way in. During my sit I only saw three young bucks but counted 34 does. It was hard to hold off but I'm up til Wednesday and hope a big boy shows up.

Comment

Working...
                                X