No announcement yet.

2014 Panhandle Rut/Hunting Report Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I picked up a new place in Kent County this year. Just 10 or so miles from my other 2 places in Dickens county... got a blind, feeder, and camera running on it now. I have nothing set up for bow season as I feel football season this year will be a long one again.

Comment

Glad to see this one back this year. We are seeing great things in garza county. LOTS of fawns, good horns, and tons of protein feeder activity. Only downside is more rattlers than previous years. Can't wait for opening day.

Comment

I have three of my four feeders running now, but haven't got any camera's out running yet. Maybe this weekend I will get some put up since I don't have much else I can do.

No early bow season for me this year as I am currently on a "don't lift more than 5 pounds for the next 4 weeks" thing due to a combination back/hip injury associated with atv's. I'm already nearly a week into that though, and next week will I see if I can get the doc to bump that up to at least 10-12 lbs so I can carry my little CZ in .223 and go call some coyotes.

Been a pretty fair amount of rain this year, forage and cover looks better than it has for the last 4-5 years. Fawn crop looks good, I'm hoping for a good season. Will post pics up when I start getting some.

Comment

Originally posted by Coach W View Post
          I picked up a new place in Kent County this year. Just 10 or so miles from my other 2 places in Dickens county... got a blind, feeder, and camera running on it now. I have nothing set up for bow season as I feel football season this year will be a long one again.
          Coach, are you not hunting in Hall this year?

Comment

Because of my injury I am not doing the MLD surveys this year, but the I just heard from the guy who is filling in for me. I won't have the numbers in my hand until next week, but he is saying they are seeing LOTS of twins this year in the fawn crop, and overall numbers are looking pretty good. That is usually a good sign as to the nutrition available.

Comment

Originally posted by kry226 View Post
              Coach, are you not hunting in Hall this year?
              No I let those places go two seasons ago. Just too far of a drive with 2 little ones at home. Hall county is awesome and I plan to hunt up there again before I die.

We were outside of Plaska on the river and outside of lakeview on a finger of shelter belt. Some of the most fun hunting I've ever had on some small acreage.. but life gets in the way sometimes.

Now I'm hunting much the same terrain and small places just in dickens and Kent counties. I'm looking forward to the pics from the new place... should be fun. I set up a small blind out there for me and the boy to hunt out of soon. I'll find a pic on my phone. Hopefully its big enough for a 3 year old to be still and find something to do.

Comment

Pics of the "little" blind getting repaired, repainted, and cleaned up..

Has a fold out bed, table, insulated, and a locker to keep stuff, all on skids to drag on and off a trailer. Go big or go home right

Comment

Pics of the "little" blind getting repaired, repainted, and cleaned up..

Has a fold out bed, table, insulated, and a locker to keep stuff, all on skids to drag on and off a trailer. Go big or go home right

I like the bed idea. My in laws have a lease at Bronte and some of them sleep in their blinds instead sleeping in the camp house. The house can get crowded and there are always those who drink or snore all night...not that im guilty of either one of those.

Comment

Coach, can you shot a bow out of any of those windows?

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                      Coach, can you shot a bow out of any of those windows?
                      All windows except the one in the door come out both top and bottom... that was the original plan to be able to do both bow and rifle hunt. Inside its like 7 foot tall... plenty of room to draw and manuever. But with a 3 year old I need them as far away as possible. Lol.

Comment

No I let those places go two seasons ago. Just too far of a drive with 2 little ones at home. Hall county is awesome and I plan to hunt up there again before I die.

We were outside of Plaska on the river and outside of lakeview on a finger of shelter belt. Some of the most fun hunting I've ever had on some small acreage.. but life gets in the way sometimes.

Now I'm hunting much the same terrain and small places just in dickens and Kent counties. I'm looking forward to the pics from the new place... should be fun. I set up a small blind out there for me and the boy to hunt out of soon. I'll find a pic on my phone. Hopefully its big enough for a 3 year old to be still and find something to do.
                        Completely understand, and I know the area you're talking about. I'm fairly close to there myself. Nice blind, by the way.

PSA:

Also, FWIW, the antlerless mule deer permits are going to be drawn in September this year so they can be used during the bow season and not just the general gun season. If you haven't submitted your application but want to, you need to get on the ball pretty quickly.

Last edited by kry226; 09-05-2014, 01:23 PM.

Comment

I'm ready !!!

Comment

Got everything set up and ready to go this weekend. Rained all night friday and most of the day sat. A good soaking rain. The place is grown up like a jungle. No bucks on camera but plenty of doe. Jumped a pretty good mulie Saturday evening. Im ready to go just need those high temps in the afternoon to get out of the 90's!

Comment

Panhandle Doe History

As I was perusing some of my TC pics this week, I saw a doe that seemed to be very mature and had a Roman nose. Then a mark on the left side of her face started to ring a bell. I've seen her before!

Then I went back over my pics from previous years, and yep, there she is! I've got her each year (2011 is questionable) back to 2010 and she looked mature even then. Folks here may not share my enthusiasm as usually we're concerned about growing bucks, but to me this is very cool!

Here she is and you can see the spot just in front of her left eye:

2011 (I think this is her, but not sure)

Comment

Originally posted by arrowslinger View Post
                                Got everything set up and ready to go this weekend. Rained all night friday and most of the day sat. A good soaking rain. The place is grown up like a jungle. No bucks on camera but plenty of doe. Jumped a pretty good mulie Saturday evening. Im ready to go just need those high temps in the afternoon to get out of the 90's!
                                Best of luck. Keep us posted.

Comment

Working...
                                X