No announcement yet.

Pressured Deer Are EASY To Pattern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knock them hogs down then sit a couple hours and knock another one out then the rest will finally move. They tend to come back when one is down especially if its mom but take another and they wont come back for some time.

Comment

Not sure... but we were careful not to walk on any trails. We moved down a ways from the trail when we entered. They probably heard some commotion but once the area settles down it should be business as usual

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by gigem95 View Post
        Ok serious question. When you hacked a 50' trail into the thicket
        does that not blow the deer out?
        ^^^^^

Comment

Originally posted by gigem95 View Post
          Ok serious question. When you hacked a 50' trail into the thicket
          does that not blow the deer out?

Yep, it sure will. Good news is this stuff doesn't get really really good until the 2nd week of Dec anyways.

If it was my spot I'd keep the corn going but outside of that I wouldn't step foot in there again until the bucks get regular on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
            Question of why we make piles..

There are a bunch of different answers but the main reason is that a mature buck is more likely to claim it than spread corn. Another thing is that most of these pressured deer spots are just a small hole cut in some bad crap. Literally just a few square yds of visibility. Last but not least is the camera view. You can get good closeup pics on a pile to make age and score decisions.
            Something I've been curious about. When you put out that much corn at one time, if it doesn't get inhaled right away, does the corn deteriorate & have an effect on the draw of that spot? Rain, ground moisture & that sort of stuff come to mind, especially in situations like Ambush has described, putting out 200 lbs at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by jooger17 View Post
              Yep, it sure will. Good news is this stuff doesn't get really really good until the 2nd week of Dec anyways.

If it was my spot I'd keep the corn going but outside of that I wouldn't step foot in there again until the bucks get regular on it.

Yessir Jooger thats the plan... thus the purpose of the Covert cam and giant corn pile, pics come straight to our phones and that pile should last a few weeks until it needs freshened up. Anticipation is high! [emoji4]

Comment

Originally posted by bwool View Post
                Something I've been curious about. When you put out that much corn at one time, if it doesn't get inhaled right away, does the corn deteriorate & have an effect on the draw of that spot? Rain, ground moisture & that sort of stuff come to mind, especially in situations like Ambush has described, putting out 200 lbs at a time.
                No. A lot of rain will sometimes sprout or sour corn but otherwise, its not a problem. The covert and 200lbs is just the ticket for what he wants to do. I agree that it may be a week or two before that spot gets hot but it will get hot if the hogs dont over run him.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                  No. A lot of rain will sometimes sprout or sour corn but otherwise, its not a problem. The covert and 200lbs is just the ticket for what he wants to do. I agree that it may be a week or two before that spot gets hot but it will get hot if the hogs don't over run him.
                  That's good to hear, as I've always been leary of putting to much in one pile in fear of it getting nasty & ruining a spot. On a side note, I tried mixing vanilla with vegetable oil this last week. Sticks real good to the corn & the bush, even leaves a sweat smelling greasy spot on the ground. Deer were all over it. Don't know if it works any better but it sure didn't hurt & my hands are soft as ever. Just cant mix it to heavy or it clogs up the spray bottle.

Comment

It is nice to find someone who actually plans a hunt based on knowledge of his quarry. Congratulations on your planned success.

Comment

This isn't a giant mature buck, but it certainly falls into the "pressured deer" category.

A little background on my back yard. This is the 3rd deer season I've hunted my little 5ac in Angelina Co. Every year I get some really nice deer on camera and I've yet to connect with one until tonight. Partially because I don't really hunt back there much unless it's just like this evening, a quick sit after work.

I've played cat and mouse with them every year. The property is so thick you literally can't walk through it. 2 years ago right after deer season I was burning some boxes from Christmas and set the woods on fire. That turned out to not be a terrible thing because the forest service brought in a monster dozer and cut the prettiest fire break you've ever seen.

Last year I killed a doe and a pig off of a lock on stand with my bow but I kept getting winded in spite of my scent control efforts. After 2 years of failed hunting attempts I finally threw the dice gambling that the deer were actually coming from the SW rather than the north like I'd thought.

I set up a camera and piled up some corn about 2 weeks ago on a "L" in the break. I stuck my climber on a pine with junk grown up all over and around it. There was only 1 little hole to shoot from but it concealed me pretty decent even though I was only able to get about 16' up. The first hunt a little 3pt snuck in from the SW and I knew I was in the chips. Hunt number 2 was a dud.

I pulled the card and freshened up the corn pile this evening and there was a nice 3 or 4 year old 8pt that had messed up and started coming almost every morning between 9-10:30. This typically wouldn't be a deer that I targeted simply because of his age, but let's get real... it's 5ac and only 2 of that is wooded at all. The more I looked at him, the more I liked him. I texted a buddy of mine and told him that deer wouldn't live to see Sunday.

I had planned on being a little late to work in the morning and seeing if I couldn't connect with him, but there was also a picture of 1 single boar hog showing right at dark. So I took a quick shower, grabbed my bow and headed for the climber. I got settled in at 4:45pm.

The hunt was business as usual back there. 4 Wheeler's from the neighbor's kids were non-stop, someone about 300 yards to the west was sighting in a rifle, the other next door neighbor calling their dog and feeding the horses, people getting home from work and slamming doors etc. There was a pile of squirrels getting after the fresh corn pile and I was thinking of my Paw Paw and his squirrel dumplings and made a promise to myself and him to make at least 1 squirrel hunt this year. All of the sudden they bolted in every direction, ran 1/2 way up the trees and all looked to the west. I was expecting the pig because I didn't have a single picture of a deer in the evenings. I slipped my phone in my pocket just about the time I saw a high horned buck strolling in like he owned the world. He was having to lean his head side to side for all the limbs and vines in his way but his pace was steady. He rolled right into my corn pile like he didn't have a care in the world.

He caught me totally off guard! I was sitting, and my bow was hanging high above my head. He sniffed the new corn and began to sample it. He was facing directly towards me, but theres a pretty fair amount of pin oak leaves in between us so I chanced it. We've all been there, but about 1/2 way into me standing up, his head snapped up and he stared a hole in me. I didn't time it, but it was long enough for my thighs to start burning pretty good. He walked a tight circle and looked back at me, then a squirrel cost that deer his life. Unknown to me a cat squirrel was on the pin oak between us and it limbed out to the next few trees and started barking. The deer relaxed a little but was still scanning the area more than I like. I had to stand up though so I chanced it. Slowly I came to a full stance and just stood there empty handed for a second. He didn't blow out, so I snuck my left hand up and back, never taking my eyes off of him, and found the grip and wrist sling of my bow. I eased it off the hanger and the Bucks head was on a swivel. He was snapping and looking in all directions, trusting his instinct that the squirrel wasn't what he'd originally seen. I knew I had to make this happen pretty quick. When he looked back the direction he came from I came to full draw... he wasn't in my shooting lane. There was a tiny basketball sized hole 10' away from me that exposed his vitals. I'd have to lean out from the tree a little but it looked like there was just enough room to make it work. I anchored, settled my pin, found the trigger on my release, and touched the trigger just as he took a step.

I watched the lighted nock disappear a little further back and higher than I liked. He bolted to the SW and the squirrels lost their mind. I listened hard for about 5min and never heard him crash. When I glanced at my watch it was 5:25. I gave it a few min and quietly climbed down the tree. A quick inspection of the arrow showed good blood on the fletchings but nothing on the immediate trail so I walked the 90 yards back to my house and played with the kiddos while Stephanie cooked supper.

After super I decided it was time. I grabbed the flashlight and machete and went back to the arrow. 5' into the trail the ground was painted. 10 yards into the trail it opened up unknown to me to an old tram road that I could easily walk down. The deer made it about 100yds and I never had to look for blood. While on the trail I found a pin oak that was exploding with acorns and deer sign was everywhere. I've found countless hunting spots by blood trailing wounded deer and I'll bet the farm that this will be a good one!

Once back at the house I hung him up on the swing set and went to work quartering him up. My neighbor across the road pulled up on his ranger to see what I'd shot. As he wakes up he said, "Does he have a broken brow time?" I said that it did and he said, "Me and the boys have been hunting that deer since bow season. We have 3 stands on our 100ac and have pictures on all of them but never in the day time. Something must have spooked him over here because that deer is nocturnal." I hope he didn't see me roll my eyes but I said, "You know what, I bet you're right."

They'd put a ton of pressure on that deer and he went to his safe place, but I was there and his story ended tonight.

Comment

Congrats man, thats a great deer for the backyard! Loved the story too, good job-

Comment

Awesome story and deer!

Comment

Heck of a deer and just a perfect example of hunting pressured deer! A bow kill right here in gun season as well. Congrats!!!

Comment

Nice deer Joog. Missin the squirrel hunting here also. We just dont get after them like we used to

Comment

Originally posted by jooger17 View Post
                                This isn't a giant mature buck, but it certainly falls into the "pressured deer" category.

A little background on my back yard. This is the 3rd deer season I've hunted my little 5ac in Angelina Co. Every year I get some really nice deer on camera and I've yet to connect with one until tonight. Partially because I don't really hunt back there much unless it's just like this evening, a quick sit after work.

I've played cat and mouse with them every year. The property is so thick you literally can't walk through it. 2 years ago right after deer season I was burning some boxes from Christmas and set the woods on fire. That turned out to not be a terrible thing because the forest service brought in a monster dozer and cut the prettiest fire break you've ever seen.

Last year I killed a doe and a pig off of a lock on stand with my bow but I kept getting winded in spite of my scent control efforts. After 2 years of failed hunting attempts I finally threw the dice gambling that the deer were actually coming from the SW rather than the north like I'd thought.

I set up a camera and piled up some corn about 2 weeks ago on a "L" in the break. I stuck my climber on a pine with junk grown up all over and around it. There was only 1 little hole to shoot from but it concealed me pretty decent even though I was only able to get about 16' up. The first hunt a little 3pt snuck in from the SW and I knew I was in the chips. Hunt number 2 was a dud.

I pulled the card and freshened up the corn pile this evening and there was a nice 3 or 4 year old 8pt that had messed up and started coming almost every morning between 9-10:30. This typically wouldn't be a deer that I targeted simply because of his age, but let's get real... it's 5ac and only 2 of that is wooded at all. The more I looked at him, the more I liked him. I texted a buddy of mine and told him that deer wouldn't live to see Sunday.

I had planned on being a little late to work in the morning and seeing if I couldn't connect with him, but there was also a picture of 1 single boar hog showing right at dark. So I took a quick shower, grabbed my bow and headed for the climber. I got settled in at 4:45pm.

The hunt was business as usual back there. 4 Wheeler's from the neighbor's kids were non-stop, someone about 300 yards to the west was sighting in a rifle, the other next door neighbor calling their dog and feeding the horses, people getting home from work and slamming doors etc. There was a pile of squirrels getting after the fresh corn pile and I was thinking of my Paw Paw and his squirrel dumplings and made a promise to myself and him to make at least 1 squirrel hunt this year. All of the sudden they bolted in every direction, ran 1/2 way up the trees and all looked to the west. I was expecting the pig because I didn't have a single picture of a deer in the evenings. I slipped my phone in my pocket just about the time I saw a high horned buck strolling in like he owned the world. He was having to lean his head side to side for all the limbs and vines in his way but his pace was steady. He rolled right into my corn pile like he didn't have a care in the world.

He caught me totally off guard! I was sitting, and my bow was hanging high above my head. He sniffed the new corn and began to sample it. He was facing directly towards me, but theres a pretty fair amount of pin oak leaves in between us so I chanced it. We've all been there, but about 1/2 way into me standing up, his head snapped up and he stared a hole in me. I didn't time it, but it was long enough for my thighs to start burning pretty good. He walked a tight circle and looked back at me, then a squirrel cost that deer his life. Unknown to me a cat squirrel was on the pin oak between us and it limbed out to the next few trees and started barking. The deer relaxed a little but was still scanning the area more than I like. I had to stand up though so I chanced it. Slowly I came to a full stance and just stood there empty handed for a second. He didn't blow out, so I snuck my left hand up and back, never taking my eyes off of him, and found the grip and wrist sling of my bow. I eased it off the hanger and the Bucks head was on a swivel. He was snapping and looking in all directions, trusting his instinct that the squirrel wasn't what he'd originally seen. I knew I had to make this happen pretty quick. When he looked back the direction he came from I came to full draw... he wasn't in my shooting lane. There was a tiny basketball sized hole 10' away from me that exposed his vitals. I'd have to lean out from the tree a little but it looked like there was just enough room to make it work. I anchored, settled my pin, found the trigger on my release, and touched the trigger just as he took a step.

I watched the lighted nock disappear a little further back and higher than I liked. He bolted to the SW and the squirrels lost their mind. I listened hard for about 5min and never heard him crash. When I glanced at my watch it was 5:25. I gave it a few min and quietly climbed down the tree. A quick inspection of the arrow showed good blood on the fletchings but nothing on the immediate trail so I walked the 90 yards back to my house and played with the kiddos while Stephanie cooked supper.

After super I decided it was time. I grabbed the flashlight and machete and went back to the arrow. 5' into the trail the ground was painted. 10 yards into the trail it opened up unknown to me to an old tram road that I could easily walk down. The deer made it about 100yds and I never had to look for blood. While on the trail I found a pin oak that was exploding with acorns and deer sign was everywhere. I've found countless hunting spots by blood trailing wounded deer and I'll bet the farm that this will be a good one!

Once back at the house I hung him up on the swing set and went to work quartering him up. My neighbor across the road pulled up on his ranger to see what I'd shot. As he wakes up he said, "Does he have a broken brow time?" I said that it did and he said, "Me and the boys have been hunting that deer since bow season. We have 3 stands on our 100ac and have pictures on all of them but never in the day time. Something must have spooked him over here because that deer is nocturnal." I hope he didn't see me roll my eyes but I said, "You know what, I bet you're right."

They'd put a ton of pressure on that deer and he went to his safe place, but I was there and his story ended tonight.

Awesome, Steve! Congratulations!

Comment

Working...
                                X