Pressured Deer Are EASY To Pattern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question of why we make piles..

There are a bunch of different answers but the main reason is that a mature buck is more likely to claim it than spread corn. Another thing is that most of these pressured deer spots are just a small hole cut in some bad crap. Literally just a few square yds of visibility. Last but not least is the camera view. You can get good closeup pics on a pile to make age and score decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
      Question of why we make piles..

There are a bunch of different answers but the main reason is that a mature buck is more likely to claim it than spread corn. Another thing is that most of these pressured deer spots are just a small hole cut in some bad crap. Literally just a few square yds of visibility. Last but not least is the camera view. You can get good closeup pics on a pile to make age and score decisions.

Thanks for the response! I snuck into the edge an area I know is a holding area for a lot of deer and put out a massive corn pile with a camera. Looking forward to checking pics in a week!

Comment

Well Johnny and I just recently got permission to hunt a 135 acre tract completely surrounded by NF... It has a few roads cut through it but 90% of it is an impossible mess of yaupon and scrub brush. A BIG buck (160+) was caught on camera last year on the back section of this place. We found a great trail with buck sign in that area so we hacked our way in 50yds or so and dropped 200lbs of vanilla corn in a 15' X 15' natural opening next to the trail. Covert is set and ready, just waiting on some pics to come through now... Textbook thicket for a mature deer and with pressure increasing from the hunters in the adjoining NF, we are confident the Big Boy lives there.. keep y'all posted as it unfolds-

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ..Ambush.. View Post
          Well Johnny and I just recently got permission to hunt a 135 acre tract completely surrounded by NF... It has a few roads cut through it but 90% of it is an impossible mess of yaupon and scrub brush. A BIG buck (160+) was caught on camera last year on the back section of this place. We found a great trail with buck sign in that area so we hacked our way in 50yds or so and dropped 200lbs of vanilla corn in a 15' X 15' natural opening next to the trail. Covert is set and ready, just waiting on some pics to come through now... Textbook thicket for a mature deer and with pressure increasing from the hunters in the adjoining NF, we are confident the Big Boy lives there.. keep y'all posted as it unfolds-

Go get em.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You seem like a very nice guy, but I do kinda hate you right now.

Good luck to y'all.

Comment

Man that sounds great! may be a week or two before it turns on with all these acorns though. May not be too... Looking forward to seeing him.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                Man that sounds great! may be a week or two before it turns on with all these acorns though. May not be too... Looking forward to seeing him.

Heres a sneak peak, keep in mind this was last year... no telling what he looks like this year!

Comment

Yeah, thats a hoss!

Comment

Pressured Deer Are EASY To Pattern

Well I've been getting a lot of help in my East Tx deer challenge from GarGuy, Jooger and others and this past weekend it seems are beginning to pay off.
                    We killed a doe, a buck and a cull. Here's some pics of my son and nephew. Thanks guys! This was both their first bucks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

My problem is I can't keep the dadgum hogs off my corn piles. I stoped putting any out because once they find it they just camp out there for days. I had this buck on camera several nights in a row for a week and a half. once the hogs found it he never came back. The owner asked me not to put up any feeders or feed pens because he doesn't want to attack more hogs to his hay fields. So I just stoped Corning it and plan on just hunting when the wind is right. There are several trails that come together where this pic is and a good scrape that stays pretty active with smaller bucks. Other than that I'm out of ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Madden View Post
                        My problem is I can't keep the dadgum hogs off my corn piles. I stoped putting any out because once they find it they just camp out there for days. I had this buck on camera several nights in a row for a week and a half. once the hogs found it he never came back. The owner asked me not to put up any feeders or feed pens because he doesn't want to attack more hogs to his hay fields. So I just stoped Corning it and plan on just hunting when the wind is right. There are several trails that come together where this pic is and a good scrape that stays pretty active with smaller bucks. Other than that I'm out of ideas.
                        Curious about the hog issue on piles of corn as well

Comment

Sounds like a serious honey hole!

Comment

Hogs are becoming more and more of a problem in East tx. We generally just have to shoot some of them and move them along. Small pens work in some spots as well.

Comment

Atta Boy Cajun!

Comment

Ok serious question. When you hacked a 50' trail into the thicket
                                does that not blow the deer out?

Comment

Working...
                                X