No announcement yet.

Pressured Deer Are EASY To Pattern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congratulations to your dad, that's a great buck!

Comment

First off let me preface this story by saying it isnt about numbers, Its about a lifetime of shared hunts and memories with an old man I love.

Most of you know that Dad took me hunting as a baby. I grew up that way and now I really delight in putting him on a big deer. Last year, we saw a 4 year old 8pt almost every time we bowhunted. I knew his entire history and just had a feeling about him. His beams swept way up on the ends and I named him Hi-Beam. We had very few pics of him on feeders but he just loved a pile of hand corn. We put him off limits to the family but noone else saw him as we were the only ones hunting hand corn anyway. He stayed around with a bachelor group untill they shed this spring. In July, I hadnt started feeders but put out a sack of corn and a camera by a feeder that wa grown up in weeds.

The first day I got pics of a bachelor group including a super wide deer I didnt know. A closer look revealed it was Hi-Beam! He had blown to a typical ten yet still retained the upward swoop of the end of his left beam. I filled the feeder and kept the camera up but true to his history, I never got another pic of him there. He continued to come in a hay meadow though and I was able to follow his progress with binoculars.

I showed him to Dad and he got excited since he knew the deer and had passed him many times. I started getting pics of several whoppers but we designated this deer as Dads. When the groups busted up, he just dropped off the map. We had seen him last year in two different sanctuaries about a mile apart and I hoped he would turn up over there. A couple weeks ago , he did. I quickly got a pile of hand corn going and he was pretty regular in the late evenings but we had to have a North wind. We finally had it but Dad wasnt feling well. We went anyway and he was miserable all evening. We saw several deer but not Hi-Beam. The next day the wind was still right but Dad didnt want to hunt. Sure enough, Hi-Beam was there all evening.

The wind changed and we had a full week of South wind and Dad was still sick. I didnt have a camera on the hand corn but I had one a short distance away on the feeder. I only got a couple of pics of him pushing a doe the entire week but the hand corn was being hit regular. Last Sunday, we watched the forecast and saw the strong front headed down late Wed into Thursday. We made a plan for Thursday Eve. Dad was still sick and I took him to the Dr Wed. He was told to get over to his cardiologist but Dad said no, he had a hunt the next day. That night, he told me he just wasnt able to hunt the deer and that I should bring in a client and get him killed. I told Dad that if I had the choice betwen 5 grand and sitting with him when he shot that deer, my choice would be easy to sit with him. He grinned and said we would give it a try.

Thursday, the wind was perfect. We had a nice rain and the temps were dropping. We got set at 345 with Dad feeling really bad. I admit I was scared. By 4pm, a doe ran out into my lane deep in the sanctuary. Tail straight out and looking back. I glimpsed a buck as he charged up running her back into the thick stuff. This happened every time a doe tried to come in all evening but I never got a look at him. Finally, at about 530, three does came down and ate hand corn. They were nervous though and ran after five minutes. I just knew he was coming!

An hour went by with nothing showing. Dad was set with my crossbow on a bench rest and pointing out the East window where the hand corn was. The does had come from North and I knew there was a buck up there so we resituated Dads chair so he could turn back and shoot North if needed. About 645, Dad was sitting with his head down and feeling bad. I thought about getting the truck and leaving. I took another look North and there was still nothing in the lane but a huge set of horns was walking out of the thicket 18yds away. It was him! I poked Dad and got his attention. I had planted oats all the way past the ground stand North and East with the stand at the corner.

He dropped his head and started feeding directly to us. Ground level..18yds, 15yds, 10yds... The crossow is pointed the other way and laying on the bench. Dad picks it up. CLANK, WHACK, BANG! I swear he hit everything in the stand while turning around. In hind sight, it couldnt have been that bad but it sure seemed like it! The deer was point blank and of course he heard that and went full alert facing us. Dad got on him and asked, "Is that him?". He heard that too!

It was clear he was about to go and started to whirl. The crossbow fired and I watched him run right down the middle of my lane through the binoculars. I looked at his right side and no blood. He swung a little left at about 150yds and stopped to look back. No blood on that side either. I told Dad it was a clean miss and the deer looked like he might come back! Dad said that wasnt possible. The buck looked at the stand full alert for a couple of seconds and with zero warning, he just fell over!

I have never been so surprised! He probably only lived 15 seconds after the shot. He was perfectly double lunged. Dad said I about beat him to death whooping and slapping him on the back when the deer fell. The Good Lord let us get it done one more time! I love ya Dad!
      Attached Images
      Attached Files
      Last edited by GarGuy; 10-24-2016, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
        First off let me preface this story by saying it isnt about numbers, Its about a lifetime of shared hunts and memories with an old man I love.

Most of you know that Dad took me hunting as a baby. I grew up that way and now I really delight in putting him on a big deer. Last year, we saw a 4 year old 8pt almost every time we bowhunted. I knew his entire history and just had a feeling about him. His beams swept way up on the ends and I named him Hi-Beam. We had very few pics of him on feeders but he just loved a pile of hand corn. We put him off limits to the family but noone else saw him as we were the only ones hunting hand corn anyway. He stayed around with a bachelor group untill they shed this spring. In July, I hadnt started feeders but put out a sack of corn and a camera by a feeder that wa grown up in weeds.

The first day I got pics of a bachelor group including a super wide deer I didnt know. A closer look revealed it was Hi-Beam! He had blown to a typical ten yet still retained the upward swoop of the end of his left beam. I filled the feeder and kept the camera up but true to his history, I never got another pic of him there. He continued to come in a hay meadow though and I was able to follow his progress with binoculars.

I showed him to Dad and he got excited since he knew the deer and had passed him many times. I started getting pics of several whoppers but we designated this deer as Dads. When the groups busted up, he just dropped off the map. We had seen him last year in two different sanctuaries about a mile apart and I hoped he would turn up over there. A couple weeks ago , he did. I quickly got a pile of hand corn going and he was pretty regular in the late evenings but we had to have a North wind. We finally had it but Dad wasnt feling well. We went anyway and he was miserable all evening. We saw several deer but not Hi-Beam. The next day the wind was still right but Dad didnt want to hunt. Sure enough, Hi-Beam was there all evening.

The wind changed and we had a full week of South wind and Dad was still sick. I didnt have a camera on the hand corn but I had one a short distance away on the feeder. I only got a couple of pics of him pushing a doe the entire week but the hand corn was being hit regular. Last Sunday, we watched the forecast and saw the strong front headed down late Wed into Thursday. We made a plan for Thursday Eve. Dad was still sick and I took him to the Dr Wed. He was told to get over to his cardiologist but Dad said no, he had a hunt the next day. That night, he told me he just wasnt able to hunt the deer and that I should bring in a client and get him killed. I told Dad that if I had the choice betwen 5 grand and sitting with him when he shot that deer, my choice would be easy to sit with him. He grinned and said we would give it a try.

Thursday, the wind was perfect. We had a nice rain and the temps were dropping. We got set at 345 with Dad feeling really bad. I admit I was scared. By 4pm, a doe ran out into my lane deep in the sanctuary. Tail straight out and looking back. I glimpsed a buck as he charged up running her back into the thick stuff. This happened every time a doe tried to come in all evening but I never got a look at him. Finally, at about 530, three does came down and ate hand corn. They were nervous though and ran after five minutes. I just knew he was coming!

An hour went by with nothing showing. Dad was set with my crossbow on a bench rest and pointing out the East window where the hand corn was. The does had come from North and I knew there was a buck up there so we resituated Dads chair so he could turn back and shoot North if needed. About 645, Dad was sitting with his head down and feeling bad. I thought about getting the truck and leaving. I took another look North and there was still nothing in the lane but a huge set of horns was walking out of the thicket 18yds away. It was him! I poked Dad and got his attention. I had planted oats all the way past the ground stand North and East with the stand at the corner.

He dropped his head and started feeding directly to us. Ground level..18yds, 15yds, 10yds... The crossow is pointed the other way and laying on the bench. Dad picks it up. CLANK, WHACK, BANG! I swear he hit everything in the stand while turning around. In hind sight, it couldnt have been that bad but it sure seemed like it! The deer was point blank and of course he heard that and went full alert facing us. Dad got on him and asked, "Is that him?". He heard that too!

It was clear he was about to go and started to whirl. The crossbow fired and I watched him run right down the middle of my lane through the binoculars. I looked at his right side and no blood. He swung a little left at about 150yds and stopped to look back. No blood on that side either. I told Dad it was a clean miss and the deer looked like he might come back! Dad said that wasnt possible. The buck looked at the stand full alert for a couple of seconds and with zero warning, he just fell over!

I have never been so surprised! He probably only lived 15 seconds after the shot. He was perfectly double lunged. Dad said I about beat him to death whooping and slapping him on the back when the deer fell. The Good Lord let us get it done one more time! I love ya Dad!
        Attached Images
        Congratulations to y'all. Great deer.

Comment

hell of a buck,awesome story!

Comment

Awesome story and buck Steve. Congrats to you and your pops getting it done once again!

Comment

Story of a Lifetime! Congrats!

Comment

I love that old man dearly just like he was my own family. Listening to him tell the story yesterday will resonate with me forever just like many of the stories I've heard over the few short years that I've gotten to know y'all. If he lives to be 100 and kills as many more bucks, I'll remember this one very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats to your dad Gar Guy!

Comment

Originally posted by jooger17 View Post
                    I love that old man dearly just like he was my own family. Listening to him tell the story yesterday will resonate with me forever just like many of the stories I've heard over the few short years that I've gotten to know y'all. If he lives to be 100 and kills as many more bucks, I'll remember this one very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    He was thrilled you came by! he was a little better yesterday and today. I would appreciate all the prayers yall can spare for him though.

Comment

Awesome story. tell the Cardiologist to get his job done the best he has ever done. We need to have more stories.

Comment

Great story steve. I cherish each and every moment in the woods with my dad. Far more now than those gone by. His older sister has been in the hospital since opening weekend and he's missed a lot of season so far. I know why but it's not the same without him. She'll go live with him when released so I know that will limit him more. It won't be the same but it's ok.

Really like to get yall together to swap old Matagorda airboat stories.

Sending a prayer for your pop

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post

Attached Images

I love it, great story especially knowing your dad was pumped to hunt that deer even before season. That buck is a killer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Well I finally got a chance to read the story. I sure hope your dad feels better soon.

Comment

Gar, tell Mr Gar that I'm praying for him.
                              JD

Comment

Very nice buck Steve! Congrats to yall both! Sending a prayer up for your dad!

Comment

Working...
                                X