That's what it's all about bud!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
        WHAT??? No pics...
        Exactly what I was thinking.

Man if a buck can get a true deer slayer like GG excited then you can bet the farm he's a good 'un.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post

Man if a buck can get a true deer slayer like GG excited then you can bet the farm he's a good 'un.
          If that ain't the truth I don't know what is

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post

Yes he is a good one.

Comment

Ruining An East Tx HotSpot

Daybreak on Oct 22nd found me sitting in a home made tent blind nestled behind a big youpon bush in the DCNF. As the darkness gradually turned gray, I could hear the crunch of corn and a half hearted tinkle of antlers directly in front of me. This was my 30th hunt of the year from that blind so far yet I saw mature bucks every sit. The stand was situated behind the remains of an old bulldozer windrow that guided all deer traffic in from the front. I could hunt it on any wind except West and had a quiet and hidden approach route to the stand.

As shapes took form, two nice bucks became identifiable at 20yds. 120 inch 5 year old 8 and a 130s 9pt. They were safe though as only one deer would catch my arrow and I was determined to wait him out. I was working shifts that allowed me to hunt either morning or evening daily and both morning and evening on days off. I watched them scarf corn as I had a dozen times before. Suddenly they both jerked their heads up and looked South before bolting! I eased my bow up as a glimpse of heavy horns moved through the thicket to my right. My heart pounded as he walked directly into the corn pile. GIANT 8pt that was probably 7 or 8 years old.

I slowly sat my bow on my lap. I had watched this deer every day for two weeks. He was a shooter by any standard but paled when compared to the deer I had pictures of there and I wouldnt settle for less. He ate without slowing down for the next hour at 15-20yds. Now I had to be at work at 1030 and was wearing my dress cloths under my hunting cloths. 10am and he wouldnt leave.

I had to get out of the stand so I sneaked out as quietly as possible... BUSTED! I was on hands and knees crawling out the back when he saw me! WHEW, WHEW, WHEW! He snorted just like an old doe! The next morning i was right back in there and had several deer in the corn when he arrived. They gave him room just like normal and he came rolling in on a string. this time though, instead of walking right into the corn from the South, he started making a big circle around me. the wind was perfect and i watched him through a peep hole as he circled through the thicket and got behind the stand. "WHEW,WHEW, WHEW!" he snorted and all the other deer joined him as he left.

These deer were very much acclimated to me walking in and putting out vanilla corn daily from a different trail. Until that morning not one deer had shown any suspicion that they knew I was around. Every hunt there after, the first deer in would circle around me. Sometimes they snorted, and sometimes they just sneaked away quietly. Regardless, the entire spot was ruined by ONE mature deer busting me.

My experience there really highlights how often hunters destroy a fantastic East Tx spot by either hunting it on a wrong wind or recklessly getting out of the stand at dusk. Im continually amazed that people will work months locating a monster, clearing lanes, toting corn, hanging stands, yet are willing to ruin it all in one hunt.

I often see people willing to sneak into the stand like a mouse, yet exit the stand during peak stirring hours at dusk like a bull elephant, all the while shining a flashlight all around.

Plan a discrete entrance and exit to your hunting spot and you will see more longevity from your stands. Good hunting! Steve

Comment

Great story!

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                  Ruining An East Tx HotSpot

Daybreak on Oct 22nd found me sitting in a home made tent blind nestled behind a big youpon bush in the DCNF. As the darkness gradually turned gray, I could hear the crunch of corn and a half hearted tinkle of antlers directly in front of me. This was my 30th hunt of the year from that blind so far yet I saw mature bucks every sit. The stand was situated behind the remains of an old bulldozer windrow that guided all deer traffic in from the front. I could hunt it on any wind except West and had a quiet and hidden approach route to the stand.

As shapes took form, two nice bucks became identifiable at 20yds. 120 inch 5 year old 8 and a 130s 9pt. They were safe though as only one deer would catch my arrow and I was determined to wait him out. I was working shifts that allowed me to hunt either morning or evening daily and both morning and evening on days off. I watched them scarf corn as I had a dozen times before. Suddenly they both jerked their heads up and looked South before bolting! I eased my bow up as a glimpse of heavy horns moved through the thicket to my right. My heart pounded as he walked directly into the corn pile. GIANT 8pt that was probably 7 or 8 years old.

I slowly sat my bow on my lap. I had watched this deer every day for two weeks. He was a shooter by any standard but paled when compared to the deer I had pictures of there and I wouldnt settle for less. He ate without slowing down for the next hour at 15-20yds. Now I had to be at work at 1030 and was wearing my dress cloths under my hunting cloths. 10am and he wouldnt leave.

I had to get out of the stand so I sneaked out as quietly as possible... BUSTED! I was on hands and knees crawling out the back when he saw me! WHEW, WHEW, WHEW! He snorted just like an old doe! The next morning i was right back in there and had several deer in the corn when he arrived. They gave him room just like normal and he came rolling in on a string. this time though, instead of walking right into the corn from the South, he started making a big circle around me. the wind was perfect and i watched him through a peep hole as he circled through the thicket and got behind the stand. "WHEW,WHEW, WHEW!" he snorted and all the other deer joined him as he left.

These deer were very much acclimated to me walking in and putting out vanilla corn daily from a different trail. Until that morning not one deer had shown any suspicion that they knew I was around. Every hunt there after, the first deer in would circle around me. Sometimes they snorted, and sometimes they just sneaked away quietly. Regardless, the entire spot was ruined by ONE mature deer busting me.

My experience there really highlights how often hunters destroy a fantastic East Tx spot by either hunting it on a wrong wind or recklessly getting out of the stand at dusk. Im continually amazed that people will work months locating a monster, clearing lanes, toting corn, hanging stands, yet are willing to ruin it all in one hunt.

I often see people willing to sneak into the stand like a mouse, yet exit the stand during peak stirring hours at dusk like a bull elephant, all the while shining a flashlight all around.

Plan a discrete entrance and exit to your hunting spot and you will see more longevity from your stands. Good hunting! Steve

I learned that same lesson last year.

Comment

Great write up, keep em coming Mr Steve

Comment

What a great reminder right before the season starts!

Chootum!

Comment

Awesome point. It's the small detail that make a huge difference in the end. Love the thread.

Comment

I'm s stoked right now. I was before too but then I read this thread. Feels good having a plan going in. Thanks

Comment

The next year, dad had been recovering from open heart surgery and hadn't even given any thought to hunting. I had been corning for a flat month and the place just reeked of bucks. I talked him into sitting that same ground blind that evening. I walked him in and went on to hunt another spot. When I got home my wife said I needed to call dad. I called and my Grandmother answered. I asked her if dad had killed a deer and she said he told her he had and she asked how many points. He told her 19!

I headed over there and dad said he shot an 8 point and it fell right in the corn pile. He said he shot it right up the butt. Now I was skeptical of that since there was no reason not to wait on a god shot and then there was the story of the 19pt. When we walked in, I shined my light up the lane and there lay a nice 8pt shot right in the butt with an exit in his chest. We drug him out and loaded him. Dad had been so sick I didn't say much about the shot plus I would have figured he would have waited on a better deer.

We got him tagged and I started getting in the truck when he said we better go back out there and look for his hat. We walked back and down in the bottom of that little creek lay a big ol typical ten with a flyer off his g2. It turns out the 8 was there eating and the big ten came in. Dad rolled him at 25yds and the 8pt broke straight away. Since it was a two buck county, dad busted him too! 19 points just like she said.

This one is one of my favorite stories. Going back through them all.

Comment

Ol Freaky

The place I lived at the time bordered National forest and they cut a huge clearcut behind my house and right up to my yard. The next summer there was a crazy bachelor group in that clearcut with 13 mature bucks. In late August, I invited a friend and we went back there to watch for them. They came in and one of them had crazy mass and appeared to be shedding velvet already. there were strips hanging off his massive rack everywhere. I watched him every day for the next couple of weeks and it soon became obvious that it wasn't strips of velvet but velvet covered drop tines! Seven of them! When the group was polished, they split up and he was gone.

I didn't see him again until Nov 29th. I was bowhunting behind a big green field less than a mile away from home. I walked up to an offset in the field and there he was eating wheat at 10am! Now he was on private property that belonged to an elderly fellow that had a terrible reputation for being a hermit and mean. That evening, I got my nerve up, grabbed a few packs of back strap and some of Moms jelly before heading to his house. I nocked on the door and he answered gruffly that he was coming. HUGE MAN! He asked what I wanted in no friendly way. I told him I was his neighbor down the road that had just moved there the year before and he invited me in. I gave him the jelly and asked if he liked deer meat before handing him the sliced backstrap.

Man his eyes lit up! Yes he did but hadn't had any in years because of a badly broken ankle that never healed well. Now that brought me to the subject of hunting his property. I told him he would never run out of deer meat if he let me hunt that green field behind his house. Now he thought a minute and said he didn't think there were any deer coming in there. I assured him they were but were using the lay of the land to stay out of sight. No problem!

I didn't have another day off until four days later on Dec 2nd. I walked in down the bottom of a creek and climbed a big sweetgum that gave me a view of the small pocket. Deer poured in. Three bucks and several does. Then another huge doe. All the other deer gave her room. heck even a nice 8pt gave her space. Biggest doe I have ever seen! She was 40yds and facing me when I took another look. I almost fainted. Two big bloody spots on her head! I stopped by the old mans house on the way out and told him what I saw. He said, Oh yeah, I found a big ol ugly horn out there this morning. It was his right side. 8 inch bases and 17 scoreable points. Ill shorten he rest of the story but a cousin found the other side and had them mounted. Scored 220 without spread.

I never saw him again. If he had kept his antlers one more day.....He was ancient and probably running out of gas. Shed Dec 2nd 1984.

This one too [emoji16]

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
                                Steve's dads East Texas brute...183 4/8's respectively.

Ol Cripple Horn 153 7/8's....big 8's just set me off.

Obviously photoshopped, everyone knows there isn't any deer in east Tx.

Comment

Working...
                                X