Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Pressured Deer Are EASY To Pattern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by U.S.ArmyRetired View Post
    These are awesome stories. The 2 commonalities I see in almost every story is THICKET & CORN.
    And mosquitoes...dont forget the skeeters.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post

We sure could use a new story around here [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I am convinced that mosquitos and poison ivy are the curses that plagued the earth when Adam sinned!

Comment

Originally posted by Jesus is Coming View Post
          I am convinced that mosquitos and poison ivy are the curses that plagued the earth when Adam sinned!
          But at least God gave us Thermacell.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post

Amen brother, defiantly heaven sent!

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
              Preach

Comment

I figured I would toss my hat in this ring. Like many of you, I grew up in East Texas, hunting with a rifle out of box stands or sitting under a tree. It wasn't until I got out of college and moved back to East Texas that I started paying attention to my deer and really became a student of deer behavior (and other wildlife in general). I too used to be of the opinion that once a deer went "nocturnal", the only opportunity to kill him would be that one slim chance during the rut that he would chase a doe out in to the field where I happened to be sitting. Basically, I was hoping for luck, and not HUNTING.

Everything changed for me 3 years ago when I became a member of the big hunting club that surrounds my family farm on 3 sides. These "sanctuaries" that Steve talks about are all located on the hunting club adjacent to my family land. That's not to say we haven't killed a few really nice deer off the family place, but they have all been as a result of peak rut activity, and luck. last year, I took it upon myself to locate several mature bucks on camera during the summer, and target them specifically for bowseason. I found 4 mature "hit list" bucks traveling within a 300-400 acre between my lease and family land. After doing some on the ground recon late last summer (and after lots of machete swinging), I located a big open over cup and swamp chestnut oak flat right in the middle of a giant cane and briar thicket - this had to be my "sanctuary". Several hundred yards from the nearest club box stand and directly between that stand and my family land (where the bucks all end up during night hours). And to top it off, I can get in there without busting deer out of the thicket (as long as a North wind isn't blowing!).

Opening morning of bow season I was absolutely covered up with animals- several deer, one big boar (that I punched a hole in), squirrels, etc. I even saw one of the shooter bucks I had on camera cruising through, but out of bow range. I had to leave that afternoon to attend a wedding but I knew this was a magic spot because of all the deer activity and the trails cross crossing through this flat. Sure enough, I came back two weeks later, and about an hour after daylight on my 2nd hunt from that climber, I stuck one of the big mature bucks on my hitlist (see pic below). GarGuy and Jooger actually came to help me drag him out of the woods that day. I even came back to this spot post rut and nearly got a shot off on the biggest deer I had on camera last year.

Chalk me up as a firm believer in the fact that pressured deer can be killed, and not just during the rut. If you have the ability (some may not, due to lease restrictions), try to locate areas in between club box stands where other members never venture. Even a couple hundred yards out of sight of a box stand can make a huge difference. It has been my (limited) experience that mature bucks know exactly where box stands and feeders are, and 9 times out of 10 they will skirt around these areas without ever being seen by hunters. Hunt these sets for the proper wind directions, get in and out quietly/quickly and don't over hunt each spot. Have a few different sets, if possible, set up for varying wind directions. I don't care how much scent killer you have on, a deer will wind you if the trail he/she is walking up on is downwind of you!

I'm already pumped up for this season and have another 4-5 mature "hitlist" bucks pounding the protein right now. Good luck to everyone this season and thanks GarGuy for your stories and insight on this thread! let's keep the good hunting discussions alive!
                Attached Files

Comment

And man, some of you guys have some real hate in your hearts. If you don't believe a story someone is telling you, move along to the next thread. No reason to derail a positive, educational thread like this one has become.

Comment

Thx for sharing bud [emoji106]

Comment

Originally posted by jay07ag View Post
                      I figured I would toss my hat in this ring. Like many of you, I grew up in East Texas, hunting with a rifle out of box stands or sitting under a tree. It wasn't until I got out of college and moved back to East Texas that I started paying attention to my deer and really became a student of deer behavior (and other wildlife in general). I too used to be of the opinion that once a deer went "nocturnal", the only opportunity to kill him would be that one slim chance during the rut that he would chase a doe out in to the field where I happened to be sitting. Basically, I was hoping for luck, and not HUNTING.
                      Good story and one heck of a deer!

Like you, I'm beyond pumped about the upcoming season. I think all of the rain and extra vegetation should make for an excellent deer herd in a lot of places.

Comment

Originally posted by offthemap View Post
                        Good story and one heck of a deer!

Like you, I'm beyond pumped about the upcoming season. I think all of the rain and extra vegetation should make for an excellent deer herd in a lot of places.
                        My deer are looking good!

Comment

Cool story thanks, and I agree with you on this.. If you dont like move your Azz on

Comment

My deer are looking good!
                            You're deer always look good..or rather, you have a knack for finding the good looking deer!

If even a few of the bucks I found and watched most of last season stuck around and didn't get washed out of the Neches river bottoms, I'll be in good shape.

Comment

Originally posted by offthemap View Post
                              You're deer always look good..or rather, you have a knack for finding the good looking deer!

If even a few of the bucks I found and watched most of last season stuck around and didn't get washed out of the Neches river bottoms, I'll be in good shape.
                              This will be the best season east Tx has ever experienced if the massive acorn crop doesnt keep folks from killing them.

Comment

This will be the best season east Tx has ever experienced if the massive acorn crop doesnt keep folks from killing them.

Have you guys been seeing lots of small undeveloped acorns falling lately in east Tx? I just noticed a lot of this last weekend. I'm hoping that is going to mean a poor crop this year?

Chootum!

Comment

Working...
                                X