Pressured Deer Are EASY To Pattern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
    I wear rubber boots and only corn late morning as a rule. I spray my cloths with vanilla also and I think it helps. A couple years ago, I had a group of big deer that would leave the sanctuary every night and come back just before daybreak to spend the day. I would corn that spot about 10pm for the morning hunt.
    this is exactly what i do^^ after pm'ing steve a few years ago…my deer sightings, especially the bucks and number of them seen on cam and on a sit has gone through the roof. I have not caught up to a mature buck yet but thats mostly due to lack of time able to hunt, Thanks again Steve and keep posting your info and stories

Comment

I wear rubber boots and only corn late morning as a rule. I spray my cloths with vanilla also and I think it helps. A couple years ago, I had a group of big deer that would leave the sanctuary every night and come back just before daybreak to spend the day. I would corn that spot about 10pm for the morning hunt.
      Thanks Sir!

Comment

Love this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by woodsman View Post
          Push on guys. Let's stay on track here.

Steve, thanks for continuing to share your quests with everyone. I hope that big boy gets a tag from a deserving hunter.
          x2...I appreciate GarGuys information that he has shared, because it has proven helpful to my particular areas where I hunt.

Heck, for that matter, I appreciate EVERY hunter on TBH who contribute actual info about their techniques, things that have helped them be successful, ideas on the DIY forum, etc.

Comment

I haven't read all of the posts, but a lot of them. Awesome stuff. Sorry if this has been asked, but have you (GarGuy) covered issues with hogs when hand corning with vanilla. They destroy my hand corn in short order and if I added vanilla they'd find it even sooner I'm sure. I'm guessing there is just no way around those bas#@#ds but any advice is welcome. I do get plenty of deer on the corn too so maybe I should just up the amount of corn to last longer. I used to do 1 bag and it last well over a week before the hogs were bad. Now I'm lucky to get a few days before it looks like a plowed field when they're done with it. (*after season we going hog killin!!)

Comment

Originally posted by mdnabors View Post
              I haven't read all of the posts, but a lot of them. Awesome stuff. Sorry if this has been asked, but have you (GarGuy) covered issues with hogs when hand corning with vanilla. They destroy my hand corn in short order and if I added vanilla they'd find it even sooner I'm sure. I'm guessing there is just no way around those bas#@#ds but any advice is welcome. I do get plenty of deer on the corn too so maybe I should just up the amount of corn to last longer. I used to do 1 bag and it last well over a week before the hogs were bad. Now I'm lucky to get a few days before it looks like a plowed field when they're done with it. (*after season we going hog killin!!)
              I've already declared war on the hogs. One setup, I'm leaving alone. But the other? I've been killing hogs till I'm tired of cleaning them. That's about all I know to do. We have a trapper coming in after season, hopefully he can make a dent in them. I do have them come in and clean up every corn pile, vanilla and non-vanilla...but the deer in my area of east Texas and hill country outskirts, will finish off the vanilla corn before heading to the regular, as long as the hogs haven't gotten to it first

Comment

I have never tried vanilla but put out 4 cameras today with vanilla corn. Can you/have you tried lightly spraying your corn with vanilla that you put in your feeder??
                Thanks and Merry Christmas everybody!

Comment

It is so true that the biggest bucks are not far from where everyone hunts , you just have to know what your doing and use your head.

Comment

Originally posted by sasqy View Post
                    It is so true that the biggest bucks are not far from where everyone hunts , you just have to know what your doing and use your head.
                    Some of the biggest bucks on one of my leases the last few years have been killed 200 yards from where everyone parks and unloads buggies and has a campfire etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Huggybear View Post
                      I have never tried vanilla but put out 4 cameras today with vanilla corn. Can you/have you tried lightly spraying your corn with vanilla that you put in your feeder??
                      Thanks and Merry Christmas everybody!
                      Yes. I actually pour a little extract in my feeder when I fill it, I smell it every time I test throw the feeder.

Vanilla is by NO MEANS magic . I just believe it can cause ma deer that has associated corn with hunting to disassociate it when it smells and tastes like vanilla.

Comment

Garguy, I've never posted on this site. But, your stories on here remind me so much of my grandad. He was of Indian decent and killed more deer in SE Oklahoma than I can remember. He is long gone now, but a couple of months ago my grandmother passed and I received all the pictures of his hunts. I've really enjoyed hunting with him and reading all the stories and picking up a few ideas for my next hunt on here. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Tractorguy View Post
                          Garguy, I've never posted on this site. But, your stories on here remind me so much of my grandad. He was of Indian decent and killed more deer in SE Oklahoma than I can remember. He is long gone now, but a couple of months ago my grandmother passed and I received all the pictures of his hunts. I've really enjoyed hunting with him and reading all the stories and picking up a few ideas for my next hunt on here. Thank you.
                          Thats quite a compliment. Thank you.

Comment

Yesterday, I had a friend on one of my sanctuary stands. There was a really heavy and high 8pt coming in with a decent antlered but old 9pt like clockwork. 30 minutes before dark, the old 9pt rolled in alone. Mark watched him until he saw he was going to have to spook the deer to get down so he did what he should have done....he slung an arrow through his lungs at 20yds.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Nice buck Steve

Comment

Yesterday, I had a friend on one of my sanctuary stands. There was a really heavy and high 8pt coming in with a decent antlered but old 9pt like clockwork. 30 minutes before dark, the old 9pt rolled in alone. Mark watched him until he saw he was going to have to spook the deer to get down so he did what he should have done....he slung an arrow through his lungs at 20yds.

Long nosed old joker!

Good work

Comment

Working...
                                X