Pressured Deer Are EASY To Pattern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
    GarGuy, I'd appreciatte your thoughts on a situation I'm thinking of. I apologize in advance, this is going to be wordy.

I've gotten lazy in the last couple years and prone to cozy box blinds with windows and coffee thermos', and a couple cool ones in the afternoon. I don't apologize for it , but I'm feelin like takin it to them a little bit late this season.

What are your thoughts on putting your corn spot up wind of the sanctuary and letting the scent blow into it (then coming in a different way and setting up ~150 yds cross wind to hunt), vs corning the very edge of the sanctuary on the down wind side and backing off a ways to hunt? I will be rifle hunting.

More details: I've got a VERY thick hill/mountain top at the lease. It is too thick to attemtp to get in there with them on any but the south side...and I'll have a S SW wind the whole trip. There's probably 18-25 acres up there and only one way to walk across it. I'm the only one who's been up there in the last 20 years and last time I walked across it the trail was overgrown and I bet that's been over 15 years ago. I just prefer to leave it to them. There's a pipe line running W to E to the south of the hill where I could set up at the E end and corn a spot just south of the hill. On the SE edge of the hill there is an old well location they carved out over 20 years ago and never drilled on, the back of it forms a sheer drop about 15' and I've never seen a deer or track on it in 20 years so it protects my downwind somewhat for one potential spot. To the E of the hill is a semi open draw that wraps around to the N of the hill where it opens up. There is a small thicket of brush across the draw to the north of the hill I can get to and look back up at it. I'm about to post a VERY ROUGH drawing, the dark triangles represent possible spots for hand vanilla corn and a camera, the stars possible spots for a tent blind. There's a lot of elevation that I can't draw, this is why I think these are my two best options, and I know this pasture VERY well.

The top of the paper represents our North Fence, and the left side our west fence. To the south and east is all still ours where I've been hunting some this year. The place isn't very heavily pressured gun wise, but we are there a lot, and they know it I think we've fired 3 shots on 1400 acres this season. I don't know how much or how hard the neighbors hunt, but I don't hear more than 2-3 shots a weekend that would likely be very close. We have a lot of mature deer on camera this year, but they are not showing themselves, and we are not seeing the # of does we normally do. We are also coming out of a 5-6 year drought, but it's in very good condition this year.

No one has hunted anything you can see on this map this year. I can get into either blind pretty slick from the east without being seen.
    I have done exactly that many times with good success. Every buck I killed on my Houston Co lease was done essentially the same way. I had them pretty dialed in and knew where they would come from 95% of the time. When things got right I would get aggressive. The deer would approach from due east. A west wind was out. A north west wind was pretty sketchy, but if it was steady I could get away with it. Sort of like hunting the edge of the wind if that makes sense?

What you're talking about doing will absolutely work if you can get in and out without the deer knowing. I'll be in Cooke Co this weekend using the same strategy as soon as the wind gets right.

Comment

Originally posted by jooger17 View Post
      I have done exactly that many times with good success. Every buck I killed on my Houston Co lease was done essentially the same way. I had them pretty dialed in and knew where they would come from 95% of the time. When things got right I would get aggressive. The deer would approach from due east. A west wind was out. A north west wind was pretty sketchy, but if it was steady I could get away with it. Sort of like hunting the edge of the wind if that makes sense?

What you're talking about doing will absolutely work if you can get in and out without the deer knowing. I'll be in Cooke Co this weekend using the same strategy as soon as the wind gets right.
      You mean corning the south side of the hill/sanctuary with a s/sw wind, and setting up east of the corn, right?

If I do that, they will absolutely smell me putting out corn, but I can come in from the S/SW, corn with vanilla, and leave the same way. Then hours later, or the next day sneak in from the east.

My other option is corning a spot on the north edge of the thicket, and back out. I'll have to come back to the blind a similar way, but it won't affect the hill due to wind and cover.....but they may not find the corn as soon.

I'll get there saturday night or sunday morning to corn, and hunt through tuesday. In the past I've seen more bucks on the north side and some come off the place to the north so I'm leaning that way.

Comment

You mean corning the south side of the hill/sanctuary with a s/sw wind, and setting up east of the corn, right?

If I do that, they will absolutely smell me putting out corn, but I can come in from the S/SW, corn with vanilla, and leave the same way. Then hours later, or the next day sneak in from the east.

My other option is corning a spot on the north edge of the thicket, and back out. I'll have to come back to the blind a similar way, but it won't affect the hill due to wind and cover.....but they may not find the corn as soon.

I'll get there saturday night or sunday morning to corn, and hunt through tuesday. In the past I've seen more bucks on the north side and some come off the place to the north so I'm leaning that way.

I don't worry too much about being smelled when I put the corn out, but I don't screw around. I go in, put the corn out and bail. If you can get there Sat night to corn you're in the chips. What we do here is a little different. We're setting up in their bed room. They likely could be less than 100 yards away while we're corning.

Any oilfield traffic on your lease?

Comment

I don't worry too much about being smelled when I put the corn out, but I don't screw around. I go in, put the corn out and bail. If you can get there Sat night to corn you're in the chips. What we do here is a little different. We're setting up in their bed room. They likely could be less than 100 yards away while we're corning.

Any oilfield traffic on your lease?
          Zero in that pasture, but tons within 1/2 mile. They are used to it, but not RIGHT THERE. I can get in with the 4runner and be out in less than 5 minutes....it's quiet.

I may corn both sides and put a camera on both....and hunt the safe side 1st. Check cams after 24 hrs and see if I need to move.

Comment

Zero in that pasture, but tons within 1/2 mile. They are used to it, but not RIGHT THERE. I can get in with the 4runner and be out in less than 5 minutes....it's quiet.

I may corn both sides and put a camera on both....and hunt the safe side 1st. Check cams after 24 hrs and see if I need to move.

That's probably not a bad move. I'd 100:1 rather bump them with the truck rather than on foot.

The only problem with corning both sides is giving them an option. I don't think you'll get busted with the original plan.

Comment

I worried about giving them options too. And I really like the north side better because I think I will be able to see better and set up better, plus that corn/vanilla will blow into some good stuff across the fence. And no one has so much as stepped foot back there since August. This pasture sold in Oct and I thought we may lose it anytime so I pulled everything out before bow season. It doesn't look like we'll lose it now.

I think I'll corn/camera/hunt one of those spots to start, and corn/camera another spot a mile south also and adjust accordingly.

I can corn pretty easy with the truck in either spot, I'll pour it out by hand and try the whole vanilla program...but we corn a lot with the 4runner so I don't worry too much about spooking them with it.

Appreciate the thoughts.

Comment

I worried about giving them options too. And I really like the north side better because I think I will be able to see better and set up better, plus that corn/vanilla will blow into some good stuff across the fence. And no one has so much as stepped foot back there since August. This pasture sold in Oct and I thought we may lose it anytime so I pulled everything out before bow season. It doesn't look like we'll lose it now.

I think I'll corn/camera/hunt one of those spots to start, and corn/camera another spot a mile south also and adjust accordingly.

I can corn pretty easy with the truck in either spot, I'll pour it out by hand and try the whole vanilla program...but we corn a lot with the 4runner so I don't worry too much about spooking them with it.

Appreciate the thoughts.

Solid plan. Knock something big down!

Comment

Nothin but doe so far Joog.

Comment

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
                    Nothin but doe so far Joog.

I'm on daddy duty. Steph just left for a Dr appt. I'm gonna try to get out that way after a while.

Comment

I'm on daddy duty. Steph just left for a Dr appt. I'm gonna try to get out that way after a while.

Ten fo! All Oscar has seen so far are doe also. Lol.

Comment

Ten fo! All Oscar has seen so far are doe also. Lol.

Reason #3052383378/2692180 I don't wake up and hunt mornings in December lol

Comment

Reason #3052383378/2692180 I don't wake up and hunt mornings in December lol

Lmao! Nice morning inside the oil tank tho. Ha!

Comment

Lmao! Nice morning inside the oil tank tho. Ha!

You in the L field or the end of the road?

Comment

Pressured Deer Are EASY To Pattern

You in the L field or the end of the road?

L field.
                              Last edited by JW; 12-16-2015, 08:18 AM.

Comment

Can one of y'all explain the vanilla to corn ratio? Pour it straight on the corn or mix vanilla with water then pour on corn. If it's been explained earlier I missed it. Wanting to learn. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X