• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
    Great. Thanks!!

Originally posted by jooger17 View Post
    A picture for the story.
    Oh helluva deal I guess I must've missed that one because I certainly don't remember it.

Comment

Love me a good ole Barclay story, good to see a post from you steve!

Comment

The part about hunting with your dad is what I especially liked. It doesn't get any better than that. The score on the buck is just really an afterthought. Take care of him. Just as he took care of you. Great story.

Comment

Here is an update to post 316. The same day dad shot his deer, Jooger and i took his wife back to the stand where dad killed the big 8. The big 7 plus year old 9 i mentioned in that post came back in but he was actually a ten as he had a short crab claw g4 on both sides. He was an old bruiser with heavy, long beams but not much tine length and almost no brows. Stephanie took a broad side shot at 25yds with a 7mm08 I think and it appeared she hit the deer low but right under the vitals. He managed to get behind the blind where we couldnt see him although he had a gaping wound low in his chest.

The ground was painted with hair where he was standing but only a little meat and blood. When we got out of the stand, we saw a buck run back the way he had come. Hours of looking and no blood trail convinced us she had somehow shanked that shot even though she was confident she was on him. I never had another pic of him the rest of the season.

Fast forward to a couple months ago. i walked up to a friends truckand saw a deer head in the back. I immediately recognized the buck and asked where he killed it. He said he picked it up in March. The antlers were faded but completely undamaged! I told him i knew the deer well and that I was sitting beside the gal that shot him when the gun went off. I then told him EXACTLY where we were when we shot and he finally admitted that was very near where he picked the deer up.

He left with the deer and i was able to contact the fellow through someone else and i offered to buy the old head from him to give to Stephanie. That was months ago and i didnt want to tell Jooger about it unless i got the head. Yesterday, he sent it to me via common party! I called steve and let him know.

Amazingly, she likely made a good shot to start with. The deer just did something stupid that i never considered and the deer that ran the other way was obviously a different buck. No wonder he wasnt bleeding!

Congrats! Im sorry we didnt get him fresh.
          Attached Files

Comment

any trail cam pics of that buck? Big frame on him

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
              Here is an update to post 316. The same day dad shot his deer, Jooger and i took his wife back to the stand where dad killed the big 8. The big 7 plus year old 9 i mentioned in that post came back in but he was actually a ten as he had a short crab claw g4 on both sides. He was an old bruiser with heavy, long beams but not much tine length and almost no brows. Stephanie took a broad side shot at 25yds with a 7mm08 I think and it appeared she hit the deer low but right under the vitals. He managed to get behind the blind where we couldnt see him although he had a gaping wound low in his chest.

The ground was painted with hair where he was standing but only a little meat and blood. When we got out of the stand, we saw a buck run back the way he had come. Hours of looking and no blood trail convinced us she had somehow shanked that shot even though she was confident she was on him. I never had another pic of him the rest of the season.

Fast forward to a couple months ago. i walked up to a friends truckand saw a deer head in the back. I immediately recognized the buck and asked where he killed it. He said he picked it up in March. The antlers were faded but completely undamaged! I told him i knew the deer well and that I was sitting beside the gal that shot him when the gun went off. I then told him EXACTLY where we were when we shot and he finally admitted that was very near where he picked the deer up.

He left with the deer and i was able to contact the fellow through someone else and i offered to buy the old head from him to give to Stephanie. That was months ago and i didnt want to tell Jooger about it unless i got the head. Yesterday, he sent it to me via common party! I called steve and let him know.

Amazingly, she likely made a good shot to start with. The deer just did something stupid that i never considered and the deer that ran the other way was obviously a different buck. No wonder he wasnt bleeding!

Congrats! Im sorry we didnt get him fresh.
              Awesome story and deer Steve. Great ending and glad the guy came around. That was a great thing and I am sure she will love having that skull on the wall.

Comment

Nice buck and story. Glad she's able to get her hands on him.

Comment

So glad GarGuy is back and sharing his stories and knowledge with us all.

Comment

Glad you were able to get her buck back.

Comment

Awesome stuff! New she was a Phillips and was a deadeye

Comment

Marked for later reading.

Comment

That's a much better ending than not knowing what happened to him.

Comment

Pressured Deer Are EASY To Pattern

Everybody knows there isn't any deer in East Texas......LoL.
                            Have y'all put a tape on that bruiser yet? Miss Jooger had a great season!

Comment

Happy ending

Comment

That is a very nice buck! Glad to see it is back in good hands. I'm sure Mrs. Phillips really appreciated that. Man, that spot is a SERIOUS honey hole for both Big East Texas Bucks and Heavy Stringers.

Comment

Working...
                                X