Pressured Deer Are EASY To Pattern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hoythunter02 View Post
    Sir, I've currently got 2 feeders going at my sets...I hunt off 946 south of Oakhurst in San Jac county. I've hung 2 hangons that are ideal for S to SE winds for Oct and will adjust for the Northers.

There are some good big white oaks at both my sets. I'm thinking of moving both my feeders 100-150 yds away from my stands and just keep dumping vanilla corn(My feed store sells it) at the area's near my tree stands. Both my stands are in tight areas between pine rows and thicket/oaks ideal for bowhunting.

I've got a couple young bucks and few does hitting the feeders but no big boys on camera, couple giant boars frequently hitting feeders....no pens yet.

How's this sound to you sir? Any suggestions for me with the little info I gave you, I'll take them.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Exactly how most of my sets are. I have a bunch of feeders. On each one I have a hand corn pen back off the feeder with a camera. Every year we kill mature deer that have be we been on the feeder camera or just randomly at night yet will just live in that hand corn pen back in the woods.

Put a camera on it and be amazedwhat was checking that feeder from the brush and never coming out to it.

Comment

Thanks for Sharing GarGuy I always enjoy your stories

Comment

Jayb your right close then. I hunt the river down there.. and I agree, garguy can write a story that has you on the edge of your seat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
          Exactly how most of my sets are. I have a bunch of feeders. On each one I have a hand corn pen back off the feeder with a camera. Every year we kill mature deer that have be we been on the feeder camera or just randomly at night yet will just live in that hand corn pen back in the woods.

Put a camera on it and be amazedwhat was checking that feeder from the brush and never coming out to it.
          Great sir, around how far are your feeders from the feed pens with your sets?....I'm already thinking out my setups and where to move the feeders to before I head up there Sunday.

Thank you sir!

Comment

Most are 150yds or so. a couple are 60 yds. I like to sit where I can watch both if the wind is right. All the big deer at the hand corn though. One of my sets right now has two 7 year old bucks super regular. Neither has ever been on camera at a feeder only 60 yds away in daylight.

Comment

Most are 150yds or so. a couple are 60 yds. I like to sit where I can watch both if the wind is right. All the big deer at the hand corn though. One of my sets right now has two 7 year old bucks super regular. Neither has ever been on camera at a feeder only 60 yds away in daylight.
              Excellent sir, thank you. I'll be checking in on this thread regularly.

Comment

Heading to pull the first trail cam card of the year tonight. In the edge of a thicket over vanilla corn. I’ve never used vanilla on this property. It’s been out 8 days.I’ll share if I get somthing good. I don’t know how to post pictures yet, so y’all may have to help a nubbin buck out. I appreciate the stories and the time it took to write them garguy. I look forward to watching this thread and learning new tricks, and joining in good conversation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

11pm is my absolute favorite time to corn bedding areas. Generally the mature deer are out and I have time to corn and get out with less chance of bumping him.
                  Do you also fill the feeders at night that are near these areas or is 60-150 yards far enough to keep from bumping him during the daytime?

Comment

Originally posted by JamesM View Post
                    Do you also fill the feeders at night that are near these areas or is 60-150 yards far enough to keep from bumping him during the daytime?
                    I have 400 lb feeders. Fill one a month mid day.

Comment

I have 400 lb feeders. Fill one a month mid day.
                      Sent you a PM Gar about fed pen questions. Thanks sir.

Comment

ttt...now seems like a good time to reread one of TBH’s most epic threads

Comment

This is one heck of a thread. Started reading it about 4-5 days ago and it’s kept me up most nights just trying to read as much as possible. Thank you for sharing the stories and knowledge. Especially enjoyed the stories of the hints with your dad and nephews. Looking forward to seeing how this season ends up for you in ETX, glad there’s no mature deer there.�� I’ll have to try vanilla hand Corning away from my feeder in the hill country, couple old timers have told me mature deer don’t come to feeders. Now I understand what they were saying.

Comment

Opening evening of rifle season 2019 found me sitting in one of my fiberglass oil tank blinds overlooking two long food plots and a pile of hand corn. I was holding my 457 texan air rifle. I had several deer on the hit list including a nice 5 year old ten I called Long Brow 10. Well because he had long brows.lol

It was a super hunt with a dozen does in the plots as well as three smaller bucks. About 30 minutes before dark , the does scattered and Long Brow ran in with his nose to the ground at about 125yd. He busted dies in every direction and finally left east chasing one. I had been on the fence about this deer but man he looked cool and I knew I would shoot him if he got under 100yds.

Light was fading fast when the doe he was chasing busted our in my lane about 70 yds out. I got ready and he hit the food plot in seconds. Stopped to lip curl as I put the cross hairs tight behind his shoulder. Poof.. .smack! He bucked and dashed into my sanctuary thicket.

My brother in law Sam and Justin were both hunting close so I txt them that I had shot him. We went home to eat supper and give him a little time. I knew where the cross hairs were as I was literally shooting off a bench rest so supper waz enjoyable with full expectation of an easy recovery. Wrong...

We picked up a decent blood trail after a 1.5 hour wait and promptly jumped the deer at 100yds in. We trailed him for two hours with the deer still bleeding good and staying just ahead of us. At midnight I called it. I decided to head back at first light. Either he would be dead close or something had gone wrong with the shot. I was puzzled. Daybreak found me back at last blood and a hard search turned up nothing. I was sick. The next five days found me passing a giant as I was sure this deer was dead. No luck finding him.

14 days later he was back on camera with an absolutely perfect bullet hole in his side. He became regular again but now he was healthy and I decided it was an omen and was going to roll him another year.

The last week of season Sam was sitting a stand half mile away and Long Brow walked out. Sam smoked him. This gave. Me the opportunity to examine the wound. Two ribs were broken on the entry side and mended. His lung lobe on that side had a 4 inch hard black spot on it. No bullet was recovered but Sam had gutted the deer before I saw him leaving lungs intact so its possible the bullet fell out. If I live to be 100 ill never understand how he survived.
                            Attached Files

Comment

They are tough critters!

Comment

Well, I WAS thinking about getting an airgun. Not any more

Comment

Working...
                                X