No announcement yet.

Spider!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black and Yellow Argiope. Commonly called garden spider. Grasshopper eating machines!

Comment

I always try and let these alone since they help with the insects. I usually have a couple on my front porch. Harmless unless you are scared of them.

Comment

We grew up calling them cotton spiders

Fed them many grasshoppers

Comment

We have always called them fruit spiders! Not deadly till one makes a web across the trail to the deerstand and you walk into it and kill yourself tryin to get away!

Comment

I always knew them as zipper spiders due to that zig zag in the web. Really prevalent in late summer and early fall. I've walked through a few of their webs in the dark. Feeling one scamper across my head and down my neck usually makes me flail my arms wildly and make girly noises.

Comment

I know they make a heck of a noise when hit by a pinanata bat. They scare the crap outta me!

Comment

Originally posted by Muddy Bud View Post
                Yep, and they keep me spazing for good while after I run into them. Heck I'm freaking out just looking at the picture.
                Yes many of face to face encounters. I have done a million dollar dance in the woods. Glad no one was filming, or maybe they should have been.

Comment

We have several around the outside of the house... they usually stay put and the kids have a blast throwing grasshoppers into their webs... they like to see how much they grow

Comment

Had one on my front porch, grand kids fattened him up so much, it overloaded the web on day, it and it's last grasshopper fell about 8', busted him open and broke a couple of legs. The grand kids just moved up the food chain, fed the spider and grasshopper to the chickens. And I really do hate doing the face insertion into those webs in the dark, ruined a set up or two doing the Heebie-Jeebies dance screaming like the proverbial little girl.

Comment

Just a question....as a kid we were told these would spit....anyone know if that's true or not??

We called them banana spiders as well and they make some large webs across trails....always freaks you out when you see long spider legs coming down from the bill of your hat as you're walking!

Comment

Golden orb weaver , they def love them grasshoppers.. Love feed them , spin them in a hurry..

Comment

We always called them Chinese writing spiders.

Comment

Corn spider

Comment

Writing spider.

Comment

Originally posted by Rustyford View Post
                                Golden orb weaver. Throw a tiny chunk of meat in the web and it will wrap it up in about 2 seconds!
                                Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                                Garden spider
                                Originally posted by jds247 View Post
                                We always called them banana spiders. All spiders are venomous . That's how they kill their food.
                                Originally posted by Evenin'only View Post
                                Garden spider, banana spider, zipper spider.....and as stated above very interesting to throw grasshoppers in the web and watch them wrap up. If you do this enough there will be a pile of discarded grasshopper parts under the web
                                Originally posted by Digitalhunter View Post
                                Black and Yellow Argiope. Commonly called garden spider. Grasshopper eating machines!
                                Originally posted by Dieselman View Post
                                Golden orb weaver , they def love them grasshoppers.. Love feed them , spin them in a hurry..
                                Originally posted by Grizzly1 View Post
                                Just a question....as a kid we were told these would spit....anyone know if that's true or not??

We called them banana spiders as well and they make some large webs across trails....always freaks you out when you see long spider legs coming down from the bill of your hat as you're walking!
                                Originally posted by cumminchevy View Post
                                We always called them Chinese writing spiders.
                                Originally posted by Clark View Post
                                Writing spider.
                                All commonly accepted names.

Comment

Working...
                                X