No announcement yet.

Firing an Employee - Struggle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm in the recruiting and placement business. In situations like this the person has fired themselves, you are just the messenger. Keep it short and sweet. DON'T go into details, you don't have to. "Jim, I'm sorry but this isn't working and we need to let you go. I hate to do this but it has to be done. Let's make today your last day and I'll pay you through XX date." If you start going into reasons you'll be the guy breaking up with a girlfriend and then they'll start crying or bitching or get ****** or whatever. No matter the reasons they will always be offended and argue them to death therefore it is best to not go there. Just keep reiterating that it isn't working for you the company and for them. "It has to be this way." Never fun but rip that band aid off quickly.

Comment

Put him on a 60 day probation/ work improvement program. Let him know your expectations of his work ethics and performance. If he cannot own up to it can him and there will e now surprises. Many times they will do a good job for 6 months and fall back to their old ways. You may decide to can him then or put him on another work program. Sucks to do but you did you due diligence to work it out with them.

Comment

If you have addressed all his shortcomings/deficiencies with him in person and documented it in writing, and he has not improved/complied with the boss's (Your) instructions, time to let him go.

Comment

Second thought:

If he's stealing work/customers then it's time to let him go. Like first thing in the morning. I could handle some BS, late occasionally, etc but stealing is stealing. End of story...

Comment

You have to let him go. Texas is an at-will state so you don't need to go into the reason but it's not fair to either one of you to keep him in this situation. You're losing money and you're not doing him any favors

There's nothing wrong with it being a hard decision; the first time I had to let someone go I talked to a mentor if mine and he told me the day it's not a difficult decision to let someone go is the day you need to stop managing people.

Good luck.

Comment

I own a business and have dealt with this in the past. If you are truly concerned for hos family, which is honorable by the way, terminate him and allow him to draw unemployment. Just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by WCB View Post
                Second thought:

If he's stealing work/customers then it's time to let him go. Like first thing in the morning. I could handle some BS, late occasionally, etc but stealing is stealing. End of story...
                x2

Comment

He is cancer! What does cancer do untreated?

Comment

I have owned ran ran businesses in the past. This is part of being your own boss. I always gave them more chances than I should have but my policy was always to issue written warnings and terminate on the 3rd. That way its done and you have evidence of their awareness of he problem. Good luck.

Comment

what beetleguy said !!!!!!! its hard but if he isnt making it, its time to cut your losses and move forward .

Comment

Originally posted by Avezorak View Post
                        I have owned ran ran businesses in the past. This is part of being your own boss. I always gave them more chances than I should have but my policy was always to issue written warnings and terminate on the 3rd. That way its done and you have evidence of their awareness of he problem. Good luck.
                        Being a union shop we have 4 write-ups to get out the door. Unless it's a real barn burner thing they're doing. Violence, sexual harassment, stealing, etc...
                        Oh wait, you said he's stealing work/customers??? If you have that documented then fire him immediately.

Comment

Backspace!

Comment

Originally posted by WCB View Post
                            Second thought:

Business is business. The fact that he is trying to do side jobs with your customer base is the bottom line. That's no different then him stealing the food right out of your families mouths. IMHO

Comment

Originally posted by brownchristian View Post
                              Guys I need some advice. I started my own business two years ago and we have been successful.

My first employee took a chance on us just as we took a chance with him. After two years and 4 or 5 meetings I just don't think it is going to work out for the long term.

I am having a real personal struggle with this decision. The man in question has a wife and three children. I know he has some financial issues. He drives a company vehicle and doesn't own a personal vehicle (his wife has a vehicle).

Recently I had an opportunity to hire a new employee who I worked with at a past employer with vast experience who I think will prove to be a great asset to my company.

With this being said I have to let my first employee go. He can't seem to show up to work on time, he makes foolish mistakes, he doesn't turn reports in on time, he doesn't answer his company phone during work hours, he texts me he will call me back in 45 minutes when he should be readily available, he asks my clients for side jobs, etc....

When I let him go he will be in a terrible spot. He will no longer have an income, he will no longer have a vehicle.

Any words of advice?
                              Sounds like he thinks he is bulletproof. At the least you need to enlighten him and make it his choice. Document everything for a quarter then FHA if he doesn't step up. He deserves to know he isn't measuring up to expectations.

Comment

honestly? he should be long gone.
                                you suck as a boss for letting him stay on this long.

I don't know if people are just getting lazier, or I'm getting more callous, but I've gone my entire career without throwing anyone under the bus.

But no more.....

Lately, I tell them it's going to happen and then I chunk them under there with a bonus kick to the ribs right before the tire hits them. I get paid to fix their mistakes, but there has to be a limit.

It's bad business to cover for them.

Comment

Working...
                                X