No announcement yet.

TBH BLOOD DOG TRACKING, TRAINING, & RECOVERY Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a collar about 4" wide that you put on hog dogs to keep them from getting cut in the throat.

Comment

Sika what breed of dog do you use for tracking wounded deer?

Comment

Thanks Dwayne. Should be called a cut-prevention collar.

I don't put my tracker on pigs. Each to his own. Getting cut up aside, I wouldn't want to charge a hunter money to find his deer and spend the night baying pigs, or even treeing coons, or chasing squirrels, whatever. My veteran is experienced enough now that it wouldn't matter, she doesn't care about anything but deer anyway at this point. I know plenty of people with great multi purpose dogs, but commercially speaking, mine just track deer.

I had a great Catahoula once. Fabulous multi dog! Quail (no point), retrieve dove, ducks, track deer, sit with me while calling coyotes.

Comment

Guaranteed there won't be a tip and no second call from that hunter if your dog's trashing.

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but blood is blood correct? Don't care about pigs, but say all the different exotics Sheep and goats, and exotic deer ect. in the hill country. Is it bad too track something different if your dog hasn't been introduced to it? Exotics wise, not pigs.

Comment

Originally posted by BrokenJ View Post
              Correct me if I'm wrong, but blood is blood correct? Don't care about pigs, but say all the different exotics Sheep and goats, and exotic deer ect. in the hill country. Is it bad too track something different if your dog hasn't been introduced to it? Exotics wise, not pigs.
              In my mind, trashing on a live pig is no different from trashing on a live deer. The dog shouldn't be doing either and should only be trailing a wounded animal.
              I don't normally train my dogs on shot / wounded pigs unless I have one I just really want to work or want to show off but a wounded boar sounds very dangerous. I probably would never put a deer dog on a potentially live wounded boar.
              My seasoned dog will not trash on pigs. We've run right in to them. She hardly pays any attention. She will occasionally run the wrong deer but never very far and I think that's more of a case of mistaken identity than just chasing for the heck of it. Live healthy deer don't pay and she knows it. The pups are still figuring that out.

Comment

All I've done on exotics is auodad (not many exotics up here). We've tracked those right through groups of mule deer and the dog never pulled off the blood. Dwayne tracked a freakin oryx?! So, yeah what your saying is generally true.

All I would caution you about is a young or inexperienced dog and what it might be associating with tracking. Once the dog knows the job, you'll see it run a healthy deer a short distance, realize its not the wounded deer, and return to blood trail. When the dog reaches that point, then no worries.

Comment

Top of Texas what breed of dog do you use?

Comment

I use hounds. My veteran is half bluetick/walker. Got a walker pup being trained as upcoming replacement.

About any breed will work given training, exposure, and minimizing elapsed time. I went with hounds for a couple of reasons.

1) Tracking is their first instinct, so don't have to teach them to track, rather, just what to track.

2) Excellent cold nose. With my job, although flexible, I can't always drop what I'm doing. Plus, normal daytime humidity in the Panhandle is extremely low making scent conditions poor. As a result, it's often a day or 2 before I can get on the trail.

3) Extremely persistent. Sometimes obnoxiously so.

4) I love that hound voice.

Disadvantages:
                    1) That hound voice. I live in town.

2) Not a "please the master" kind of dog. Thus their hard-headed reputation. Requires a little special effort in training and consistent obedience handling and eliminating grace or compromise as options.

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
                      In my mind, trashing on a live pig is no different from trashing on a live deer. The dog shouldn't be doing either and should only be trailing a wounded animal.
                      I don't normally train my dogs on shot / wounded pigs unless I have one I just really want to work or want to show off but a wounded boar sounds very dangerous. I probably would never put a deer dog on a potentially live wounded boar.
                      My seasoned dog will not trash on pigs. We've run right in to them. She hardly pays any attention. She will occasionally run the wrong deer but never very far and I think that's more of a case of mistaken identity than just chasing for the heck of it. Live healthy deer don't pay and she knows it. The pups are still figuring that out.
                      Exactly!

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
                        Well, to make a long story short, we bayed one up in a pond the other day...in camp, maybe 70 yards from the skinning rack...and over a mile from where the deer was shot.
                        Funny that's where she ended up.
                        That's awesome. I had a similar deal this year in La Pryor, at night. All the guys at camp were sitting around a campfire drinking beer when I loaded up with the owner and headed to the blind. Dogs jumped him about 300 yards, got him bayed in about another 100; but I couldn't get a shot. The buck was shot thru 1 knee. He busted and ran almost 650 more yards before they stopped him for good. Luckily, they had him down right by the road. I got up close and finished him off. As soon as I shot, I heard "got him" and a big celebration. That deer had run back to within a couple hundred yards of camp. It was all the guys at the campfire. They heard the the whole thing at the end. It was pretty fun! I had the hunter convinced for about 3 minutes that we train our dogs to run them back to camp so it's easier to load and get out of there. That was a fun night!

Comment

Originally posted by dwayne View Post
                          Exactly!

[emoji1360][emoji1360]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

[IMG][/IMG]
                            [IMG][/IMG]

Buck we found last week for a neighbor down the road. Dog went 500+ yards on the GPS straight to him about an hour after the shot. He was hit way back and kinda high but there was decent blood for the first 100 yards or so then went to nothing. She is licking the entrance on the second pic.

I let my pup track pigs mainly because we hunt a ton of pigs and we like eating em so hate to lose them. Mainly just track for friends and family and have passed on several tracks for others referring them to the pros...I would hate to lose a deer for someone when a finished dog could come in there and do the job. Im sure I will have to deal with a little trashing here and there because of it but something we are working on. I wouldn't ever turn her loose on a wounded boar though. Way to much time and money invested in her to have her cut up.... she does a hell of a job hurting herself half the time!
                            Last edited by bloodtrailer28; 01-18-2017, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Nice find blood trailer, dogs looking good.

Comment

Thanks top of Texas. I have recently started training a jack Russel to fine wounded deer. I have never trained a dog before so I am trying all the things that I have read or heard. It has been fun but at times frustrating. She is only a young puppy so I have been learning patience my self. I am hoping to be able to use her next deer season.

Comment

Working...
                                X