TBH BLOOD DOG TRACKING, TRAINING, & RECOVERY Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by flufster View Post
    Your pup is making sure she don't make a run for it lol. Love it!

Haha. I didn't realize that. Lol

Comment

Good track for dimmit, 151 yards through the thick stuff no visible blood.

Comment

We went on a pretty exciting track this morning. The hunter said the buck took a step when he pulled the trigger and that might have caused him to hit a little far back.They had a decent blood trail for 100 yards that petered out so they decided to give us a call. I typically like to wait a few hours on potential gut shots because I'd always rather find a dead deer than chase a live one but these guys were trying to get loaded up to go home and didn't want to wait.

So we hit the trail by 11 am. Rowdy takes a line and goes several hundred yards. I haven't seen another spot of blood for 300 or 400 yards. We get to a creek bottom and finally find a good bit of blood in the creek bed. The blood trail goes up the bank and over some logs and it looks fresh. The deer is jumping over brush and not sticking to a trail so I'm thinking he saw the dog coming and got up on his feet. I check the Alpha and she's 150 - 170 yards out. Suddenly she starts baying and it sounds like a good bay. I run to the bay, go through a fence, and slow to a sneak. The white brush is very thick and I get about 40 yards from them before I see Rowdy but I have no visual on the buck. He's hemmed up in a persimmon bush. I finally see his legs moving and I'm trying to figure out how to get in to a better position without drawing attention to myself. Finally, Rowdy kicks him out of the brush and he faces me, exposing his neck and chest. I shoot and he folds like a house of cards. The total track was about 700 yards and the dog held him perfect. This deer never would have been found without a dog. Meat saved and the hunters get to be home before dark.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2363.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	24415215

Comment

Congrats to you and your dog, yal are on a roll

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
            We went on a pretty exciting track this morning. The hunter said the buck took a step when he pulled the trigger and that might have caused him to hit a little far back.They had a decent blood trail for 100 yards that petered out so they decided to give us a call. I typically like to wait a few hours on potential gut shots because I'd always rather find a dead deer than chase a live one but these guys were trying to get loaded up to go home and didn't want to wait.

So we hit the trail by 11 am. Rowdy takes a line and goes several hundred yards. I haven't seen another spot of blood for 300 or 400 yards. We get to a creek bottom and finally find a good bit of blood in the creek bed. The blood trail goes up the bank and over some logs and it looks fresh. The deer is jumping over brush and not sticking to a trail so I'm thinking he saw the dog coming and got up on his feet. I check the Alpha and she's 150 - 170 yards out. Suddenly she starts baying and it sounds like a good bay. I run to the bay, go through a fence, and slow to a sneak. The white brush is very thick and I get about 40 yards from them before I see Rowdy but I have no visual on the buck. He's hemmed up in a persimmon bush. I finally see his legs moving and I'm trying to figure out how to get in to a better position without drawing attention to myself. Finally, Rowdy kicks him out of the brush and he faces me, exposing his neck and chest. I shoot and he folds like a house of cards. The total track was about 700 yards and the dog held him perfect. This deer never would have been found without a dog. Meat saved and the hunters get to be home before dark.

[ATTACH]755242[/ATTACH]

Awesome tracking job! Boy that deer took a big step when the guy shot...

Comment

Name:	sansaba1.jpg
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	24415908

Name:	sansaba2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	24415909

This one made for a late night! We decided to go after him last night rather than wait until morning because of the threat of more bad weather. The trail bad already been rained on and noaa was calling for another round of storms. The hunter had an idea where he hit the buck and I felt 6 hours after the shot we'd either find him dead or catch him pretty quick.

I dropped Rowdy on the last and only spot of blood around 10 pm. She took a line and went through some of the thickest brush I've ever encountered. The buck went further than I thought he would and he was still way alive. After a pretty lengthy track, she had him bayed but I was stuck crawling on hands and knees in the mud under a tangle of brush. The bay broke but she only went another 150-200 yards and got him stopped again, this time out in the open, and I was able to put him down.

The total distance was about 4/10ths of a mile but the Garmin said the dog traveled 4 miles. Not sure which is more accurate.

Pretty neat when the hunter gets to be part of the recovery.

Comment

Thats awesome Sika and congrats to you and Rowdy! Sounds like some very difficult tracks and deer that would have never been found without yall.

Comment

Awesome! Congrats sika, rowdys on fire this year.

Comment

Originally posted by popup_menace View Post
                    Awesome tracking job! Boy that deer took a big step when the guy shot...

Comment

Diesel found this one on public land last Tuesday. The hunter shot it with a slug at about 200 yards. He hit it a little far back. He did the right thing by backing out and calling me.

It was only about a 200 yard track and Diesel went right to the deer.

Name:	Buck111215 [640x480].jpg
Views:	2
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	24415924

Name:	Dieselbuck15 [640x480].jpg
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	24415925

Comment

Had a good weekend of hunting and although I did not get a chance to stick something both of my younger brothers did...Between both brothers they killed 3 hogs and 1 coyote, my dog Jax who is in the picture trailed and found all 4 kills and did a great job...He now has 5 successful tracks under his belt at 11months old with hopefully alot more to come before seasons end.
                        Attached Files

Comment

TBH BLOOD DOG TRACKING, TRAINING, & RECOVERY Thread

Nice morning....

Last edited by Atfulldraw; 11-19-2015, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
                            Nice morning....

Thats not FAIR!

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
                              Nice morning....

That looks NICE!!

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                                Thats not FAIR!

This is my face when someone overcrops a picture....

Comment

Working...
                                X