TBH BLOOD DOG TRACKING, TRAINING, & RECOVERY Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bloodtrailer28 View Post
    Got the pup on another trail the other morning. Buddy made a decent shot on him and got one lung and the liver. Let him sit for about 2 hours then dropped the dog. Blood trail was pretty bad for the first 50 yards or so ( we only saw 3 drops the entire time) then we came across the arrow. After the arrow came out blood trail was awesome and she went straight to it. Probably 100 yard track and would have found it without her but would have taken some time to sort it out. 5th find of the year for her.
    That's awesome. Glad to see she is getting plenty of work.

Comment

Bump

Comment

Pretty happy that my Aussie likes playing with deer hide more than any other toy. She will track it around the house as well

Comment

Guest shot spike low and back. Going to pick him up he said good shot so I put dimmit out for practice. When dimmit started yipping I grabbed the camera and carbine. Dimmit had him bayed at 75 yards, and running to get there the buck broke and ran, dimmit it got him stopped again at 345 yards. Got a few shakey photos before he spotted me and broke I Took the shot and finished the job

Cooling off in the skinning rack drain.

Comment

Nice!! Congrats and what a good looking dog.

Comment

Got cinch on another this morning. A fellow TBH'r called me and we made it happen.

Comment

Got a call tonight and went to track. Deer was hit little back with bow. Small property killed our chances, followed only a few drops and specs of blood over 300 yards to the property line where the last drop was. Dimmit kept going but had to call him off. Hunter didn't know neighboring landowner. Talked to game warden and property owner on other side to get owner information for Permission with no luck. No doubt in my mind we would have recovered the deer, disappointing we couldn't finish the job.

Comment

Rowdy found a good one today. Got the call about 10:30 this morning. The hunter said he suspected a liver / paunch hit so he had backed out last night and resumed the search this morning but couldn't find a blood trail of any sort. Just a bloody arrow and a couple of spots near the feeder. By the time we got there, the trail was almost 18 hours old. Took her a little while to sort it out but once she did, she took a line and went 300 yards to a dead deer. I never did see another drop of blood.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2232.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	225.5 KB
ID:	24411032

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2237.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	227.9 KB
ID:	24411033

Comment

Congrats Sika and Rowdy! Looks like a pretty nice buck and bet the hunter was happy yall found it.

Comment

My pup got another short track in tonight. Buddy shot a doe around 6 and out Delta on it 8. Found good blood where he shot her then just a few drops after that. Doe went about 90 yards and she worked it out pretty quick. One day Im going to have to figure out how to post up some pics.

Comment

Need help!! I have a blue lacy that will work a blood trail good but he will not bark at the animal that is recovered. I tried to let him track on leash but the area we hunt is so thick with bush he gets tangle and we are spending more time untangling the lead than tracking blood. So I have been letting him run loose to track and he finds the animal but we don't know where he is when he finds it. Any suggestions on how to get him to bark when he finds it?

Comment

Bay dogs are bred to bark at moving prey. They won't bay if the prey is dead.
                          You're going to have to use a bell, telemetry, or gps collar.

Comment

TBH BLOOD DOG TRACKING, TRAINING, & RECOVERY Thread

Theoretically, you could train him to sit and bark using positive reinforcement training (train him to bark on command then pair it with the presentation of a dead animal) but it's much easier not to go his nature and just put a locate device on that sucker.

The dog in my profile picture is baying because I'm shaking that dead deer's head so she'd stop eating its arse long enough for a pic.
                            Last edited by Sika; 10-21-2015, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Sika what do you use on your dog's to locate them after they find the dead animal?

Comment

This is Ramadi, 5-months at the time he tracked this buck down in Grimes County. Blue Lacy's are breed to be working dogs. Great animals as long as you're an outdoors person.

I shot this buck from 150 yards away with an M1A iron sights. He fell, got up and went through the brush. I waited, went back to truck to get my dog. We tracked him for 1/2 a mile. As we approached, Ramadi started going crazy. The buck stood up and tried to run off. I dropped the lean and instructed Ramadi to chase - as if I needed to do that. He cornered the buck by a small pond.
                                Last edited by More Liberty; 11-01-2015, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X