TBH BLOOD DOG TRACKING, TRAINING, & RECOVERY Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by txpanhandle32 View Post

Got a question how late is to late to start training One on blood????

My pup is 6 months old and wondering if ive waited to long to start him. thanks
    No worries Matt, your puppy should do just fine.

With fall fast approaching, it's a great time to start working your pup.

Get him out there in the early morning and late evening hours when it's not too hot.

Good Luck!

Comment

It was hot and dry this weekend.
      Every trail we worked was a slow go with many looses. It has not rained here since June.
      There is not much I enjoy more than watching Bagley sort out a problem.
      She will stop and stand there for a minute just looking around .
      Like she is thinking "where in the hell did that hog go"
      Then double back and pick up the trail.
      She found 3 hogs and a Red deer doe this weekend.
      One track was well over a mile and took 2 hours to sort out
      Click image for larger version

Name:	598099_20150905191605_PICT4270-100-4270.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	24402977

Comment

Originally posted by TUCO View Post
        No worries Matt, your puppy should do just fine.

With fall fast approaching, it's a great time to start working your pup.

Get him out there in the early morning and late evening hours when it's not too hot.

Good Luck!

Thanks!!! Hopin to get to the butcher and get some beef blood before long.

Comment

Bagley sounds like one hell of a dog Buff! Nothing like watching a good dog work our a hard trail.

My pup is picking it back up and going great. I have been making alot more of an effort to show more enthusiasm and get her worked up. It has worked well and she hits the trail and goes right down it. Fixn to step it up and age it 3 hours and see how she does. She's got the 2 hours down pat now so we will see how she does. Have also been running her trail starting from the feeders and feed pens and she does good with all the scent. Shes almost 5 months old and right at 40 pounds.

Comment

Getting Bullet warmed up for the season with a few mock trails around the house. We've had a fat and lazy summer in the AC all summer so the first couple of trails weren't the best we've done by any means. He's finally getting his real drive back again and I've missed it! I love when that little dude gets mean when he finds his animal. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442888822.769858.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	24404984

Comment

Alright fellas ran into an issue with my jrt. The other day I put him in some blood and like always right to the end of the trail n onto that hide. He got real sick after throwing up and I realized that blood had spoiled pretty bad I put him on, not sure how it happened, but it did. Anyways when I tried to put him on blood again several days later(this blood was good, I checked) he just sat there stared at it then ran off in the opposite direction. So I grabbed him back to try it again and same thing. It's like he knows last time he was on blood he got sick and he doesnt wanna do it anymore. I need help as to how I can get him to overcome this and get back on blood immediately. He was progressing so well and I was pumped cuz I felt he was gonna be ready to track his first deer this october. Anything helps. Thanks

Leo

Comment

Not much help Leo but that sucks. May give him a week or so to forget or maybe try soaking some of his favorite treats or toys in blood and see how that goes. Soak his favorite toy in the blood and get him worked up and play around with it. Hopefully somebody with a little more experience with give some better suggestions.

My pup is getting big and still going good on the mock trails. We hve been running 1-2 a week and aging the trail almost 3 hours. While she was working her trail the other day we ran into a covey of quail and they busted out of there. She spooked a bit but didnt trash on them and go after em. Like Bullet she gets aggressive with the hide at the end and doesnt want to let me near it. Cant wait for deer season to start.

Comment

Ok I am sure it has been asked before but I thought I would come straight to the source to get help. My wife has been wanting a GSP puppy but she has agreed it would be smart to find a dog that would both Track and Retrieve for us. Looking for dog to be Smart, Track/Retrieve, and Family Friendly. So I told her I would come here to ask for your opinions on the absolute best dog that will do both even if we do not have a full blood dog. Here is some that we have thought about : GSP, Vizsla, Blue Lacy, GSP/Lab Cross..... What Dog would you recommend and it doesn't have to be any of the ones I listed. Thanks
                  Last edited by bdavid1020; 10-01-2015, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Delta found her first deer this morning and did a great job. Dog really wasnt needed but going to put her on every track I can. Shot the doe at 7:15 and out her on it at 9. She ran about 75 yards before she kicked over. Dog made short work of the trail and was wound up when she found the deer at the end. Great start to the season and hoping to get her on at least 10 trails this year.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodtrailer28 View Post
                      Delta found her first deer this morning and did a great job. Dog really wasnt needed but going to put her on every track I can. Shot the doe at 7:15 and out her on it at 9. She ran about 75 yards before she kicked over. Dog made short work of the trail and was wound up when she found the deer at the end. Great start to the season and hoping to get her on at least 10 trails this year.
                      Great job

Comment

Delta found her first deer this morning and did a great job.
                        All Right!

Congrats!

Comment

Thanks guys!! Thats two pigs an axis and a doe so far. She just turned 5 months old and has impressed me.

Got a question...when she has found her animal she thinks it is hers. She has never once growled at me or showed any sign of aggression towards anyone until she finds her deer or pig. She claims it and will growl when you try and take it from her. I just grab her harness and pull her back after letting her have her time with it. Has anybody dealt with this and any suggestions? Usually not one to let one of my dogs show any sign of aggression towards me but not sure what to do in this situation .

Comment

Thanks guys!! Thats two pigs an axis and a doe so far. She just turned 5 months old and has impressed me.

Got a question...when she has found her animal she thinks it is hers. She has never once growled at me or showed any sign of aggression towards anyone until she finds her deer or pig. She claims it and will growl when you try and take it from her. I just grab her harness and pull her back after letting her have her time with it. Has anybody dealt with this and any suggestions? Usually not one to let one of my dogs show any sign of aggression towards me but not sure what to do in this situation .
                            Yes my dog Belle is that way sometimes. Not with me but others. Especially when we have the deer hanging on the skinning rack. She claims it and gets a little wound up especially with all the blood around.
                            When we recover a deer I let her have her moment and make sure to praise her for the recovery. Who Evers deer it is I let them give her a treat. But once it's hanging she goes to the crate or on a cable. Give her a deer leg and she is happy.

Comment

Dimmit got a good bay to start the season.

Good luck this season everyone

Comment

Originally posted by BrokenJ View Post

Dimmit got a good bay to start the season.

Good luck this season everyone
                                Looking good! Nothing like it!

Comment

Working...
                                X