Originally posted by AggieArcher View Post

Bullet is 2 for 2!
        Originally posted by Chew View Post

Daisy got her first deer last night.

Congrats !!

Tyler & Bullet

Bobby & Daisy

Comment

I've been enjoying this thread but couldn't bring myself to post without breaking down, until now. We had been tracking since early 2000 with our jagdterrier Sage. We used her to recover wounded hogs for our clients and she would track well over 100 hogs each year. After an extended illness, we lost Sage a few weeks ago. It was hard losing my best buddy whom I had spent so many nights in the woods with. She was my right hand girl and not only was my best tracker, but constant companion. Here she is with one of her first recoveries- a hog she tracked over a half mile. She was also featured in John Jeanenney's book as a representative of her breed.
          Attached Files

Comment

Sorry to hear

Comment

Originally posted by AggieArcher View Post
              Bullet is 2 for 2!
              That's my boy Bullet!

Comment

And now today, The Lord has blessed us with a little something to help heal our broken hearts. Her name is Kai and she's a six week old jagdterrier puppy. It's too young for any serious work, but here she is working her first scent trail, a whopping six feet long! When training a pup, I like to mix things up a bit, using different kinds of blood, body fluids, and parts so they will learn to track only the object (animal) that we want them to. We often have to track near feeders where there are multiple blood trails from previously shot animals so the pup has to be able to discern which animal we are tracking.
                Last edited by huntresss; 10-05-2014, 02:56 PM. Reason: Mistyped

Comment

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. Posting of objectionable material in text, attachments or embedded links is grounds for immediate suspension.
                  I AGREE, PLAY EMBEDDED VIDEO

I never can remember how to embed a video here. This is the same one as above.

Comment

Good job everyone this thread is real hot right now

Comment

Tracked this gut shot doe yesterday morning at lake georgetown. Pluto found her 60 yards from where the hunter lost the trail.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Nice job by all the dogs.

Comment

Man yall are on a roll! Congrats guys

Comment

1/2 mile high lung.

Comment

Wow, busy weekend for the dogs. Glad to have some real hide to work with on mocks now. Have some to spare if any one needs some hide let me know.

Comment

Back to Daisy's story. I shot the deer around 7 and climbed down. Saw good blood at impact and walked back to my jeep. Drove back to my place and got the dog from my wife. I told her, "Get the Deer" and she got all excited and started sniffing around camp. =) (daisy, not the wife)

She saw me grab her leash and she jumped up in the jeep. I got her excited during the drive by saying Deer over and over. She was squirming around and barking. We got to the road to walk in and I let her pee and sniff around then snapped the leash on and walked her in to my stand. I told her "get the deer" and guided her toward the shot location. This was her first time to smell real deer blood. She had been trailing cow blood only with a few deer hide drags mixed in for the last few months.

She stretched out and sniffed the blood and licked it a few times and then the light switch went off. I told her get the deer and gave her some lead and it WAS ON!

She's only 6 months old but I was very proud of her. Most of the blood was sprayed up on the bushes and she ran with head up most of the time. She got tangled up in some briars and yaupon a few times and I had hell untangling her because she was pulling and whining like crazy. I have to work her on the lead because she's stone deaf on one side.

We were going down hill and she had all 15' of lead out. She went around a big oak tree and my backpack got caught on some briars. I turned around to untangle it and then walked around the tree to find her licking the blood off the deer's exit wound!

I was more excited than her and acted like my kid had just scored the game winning run in the world series. I praised her and loved on her for a while and just soaked in the moment.

Buying my own land, finding a lease with a good buddy right down the road, shooting my first deer of the year with a bow, and tracking it with my new dog. Good stuff. Said a prayer of thanks and started the long uphill drag.

Daisy ate several pieces of heart and liver. She loved it.

I know it was an easy trail because of the shot, but I was still proud. Can't wait to get her on another.
                                Last edited by Chew; 10-05-2014, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X