Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

TBH BLOOD DOG TRACKING, TRAINING, & RECOVERY Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Me and Mickey, enjoying our week off.

Comment

We had steak the other night. I made a liver smoothie . Poured good trail with pieces of the fatty parts of steak we did not eat along the way. Before we ft to the line she was tugging sniffing the air. Went perfect. The hunt command got her going pawing at the dirt, checking the air. I was proud. Now to extend it and thin it down. This is fun. The find Aubrey game has gotten to be just down right freakeing awesome!!! When I walk down to pick up my daughter from day care she loves it over there she likes to run Nd hide when I get there with one of her friends. The lady likes animals so has no issue with our game extending to her home and yard. When we get there I let Jenna off and tell her find Aubrey and she is off. She has chickens and rabbits so there are plenty of distractions but she loves Aubrey so much she runs right past them hot on Aubrey trail. Then it's giggle time. they roll around for a min with Jenna licking and Aubrey giggling hysterically and throwing in a whine daddy that's not fair. Jenna is a sniffer dog!

Comment

Originally posted by jared_bays View Post
        Me and Mickey, enjoying our week off.

good looking pup

Comment

Comment

Dimmit had a few good tracks last season, and a lot of practice on short tracks. Ready for Oct 1

Comment

Originally posted by BrokenJ View Post

Not really fair. You an clearly see horns 50 yards off. nice buck and dog

Comment

Ok, Jenna is in the blood tracking ring now.3 perfect blood tracks down. Blended up liver juice. It's nasty but she loves the smell. This evening we set out a line and came back after dinner. She recognized me changing her collar and leash made eye contact got a whiff of liver in the air and I seen the light turn on. Aubrey said hunt Jenna hunt and little girl face in the dirt dragging us zig zagging tail alert straight up. You could see her working to find the trail. Little help from me and she was on the run. Had a steak at the end for her. It was raw and she was disappointed. Could not believe she did not gobble it down. It was from a calf we butchered a few years ago and got lost in the freezer. Now she understands the task and command it's time to thin the blood trail and make it longer. This lots fun. Good bonding with the pup and my daughter. She loves how Jenna figures out the tricks. Sorry so long but it's cool when u see the light turn on.

Comment

Well I came up with another way for Bullet to make himself useful today. Bought some quail wings from BassPro today(He flips out he loves these things). And would make him sit, stay while I run into another room in the house to hide the quail wing. Then told him to "FIND IT" and he goes running into the room with his nose in the air to whiff the quail wing!! He found them all and got better as he went.. So I had an idea... While he probably wont retrieve dove, what if I just have him to find the ones I cant see in the grass??? I lose a few every year because of tall grass or crops, and I figure he'll like it too!

Anyone else do this?

Comment

As far as getting blood to train I have heard of people simply mixing hamburger meat and water. Blend it up good and go to work, and it's cheap lol.

Aggiearcher. idk but I think since he is eating what he is finding now then once he finds them in the field he will either eat it or destroy it trying to eat it. Unless you can teach him in the house to signal the find. Much like a drug dog, sitting and looking at you or scratching at what he's found instead of eating it right away.

Comment

Originally posted by AggieArcher View Post
                      Well I came up with another way for Bullet to make himself useful today. Bought some quail wings from BassPro today(He flips out he loves these things). And would make him sit, stay while I run into another room in the house to hide the quail wing. Then told him to "FIND IT" and he goes running into the room with his nose in the air to whiff the quail wing!! He found them all and got better as he went.. So I had an idea... While he probably wont retrieve dove, what if I just have him to find the ones I cant see in the grass??? I lose a few every year because of tall grass or crops, and I figure he'll like it too!

Anyone else do this?
                      I am hoping jenna will not only find it but let me have it and maybe just maybe bring it too me. Never trained a hunting dog before so I have no idea what is instore.

Comment

And we are tracking put red on his first mock trail today and he did superb worked the trail back and forth and found his treat of deer front shoulder waiting for him !!! Made quick work of it. To say I was excited is a understatement !
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by hoyt21; 08-20-2014, 05:19 PM.

Comment

It just real here in the Chapa residence. Red turned 4 months today. This is his gift lol.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Cool deal chapa, looks like your ready..

MannyG

Comment

Anyone in the greater Austin area want to get together and set some lines for the dogs and let them work.

Comment

My daughter and I went out this morning and put down a mock trail and I have to admit, it was an epic fail. We are pretty limited to where we have access, so we found a place east of Libert Hill, on Ronald Reagan Blvd, just north ofHwy 29. Well we got the trail put down and went home to get Mickey, about 15-20 minutes away. This area is very, very popular with road bicycle riders and I didn't realize how distracting that would be. We started the track about 75 yards off the road and couldn't even get going good. The cyclists would ride by and Mickey would bark and growl and lose focus. After 3 or 4 attempts I decided it wasn't going to happen so we loaded up and came home. Boy was I pi$$ed, but it wasn't his fault. He's still a puppy.
                                Last edited by jared_bays; 08-23-2014, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X