No announcement yet.

TBH BLOOD DOG TRACKING, TRAINING, & RECOVERY Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I started another thread but I ended up getting one of the pups I posted about above. His name is Tracker. So far he has been doing well on fairly easy tracks. I need to start making them more difficult and using deer legs, etc instead of just blood. But I'm impressed with how well he has done.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tracker 10.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	24682224
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Tracker 11.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	212.4 KB
ID:	24682225

Comment

That’s a good looking Pup!

Comment

Originally posted by cehorn View Post
        I started another thread but I ended up getting one of the pups I posted about above. His name is Tracker. So far he has been doing well on fairly easy tracks. I need to start making them more difficult and using deer legs, etc instead of just blood. But I'm impressed with how well he has done.

Bloodhound cross?

Comment

Originally posted by txhunter90 View Post
          Bloodhound cross?
          Yes. His mom is full bloodhound and his dad is 1/2 Blue Lacy, 1/2 Cur. I have been doing a track per week with him and he has been doing good. I have increased the difficulty in length of track and reduced frequency of blood drops. I have also done a couple just dragging a deer leg with no blood. He has followed every trail I have thrown at him so far but he still has a ways to go.

Last Saturday was his best yet. I took him out to a place I hunt in Smithville and put a trail almost exactly where my son's deer ran this past year. But the weeds were waist high and he did the track at around 3:00 when it was about 100 degrees. He had also ran quite a bit so he was already tired before even starting the track. Some of the blood I put at the top of the weeds (where an exit hole would be) and some I put on the ground. I also had a deer leg but instead of dragging it I picked it up and put it down randomly. He struggled a little but ended up at the end of the trail.

I have really been impressed with how smart he is and how he works the trail. As I said, he is nowhere close to there yet but he is definitely showing promise and I haven't screwed him up yet.

Comment

Free tracking book. I am in Jarrell and travel north of Abilene quite often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by gtsticker View Post
              Free tracking book. I am in Jarrell and travel north of Abilene quite often.

If i pay for shipping will u ship?

Comment

Not sure if he is a good tracking breed but my son wants to train his shepadoodle to track. What are your thoughts and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat00 View Post
                  If i pay for shipping will u ship?

It is yours. PM me your address

Comment

Anyone know if he may be p$&&@!? In the wind or the breed has potential?

Comment

jack russells available

Jack Russell pups are ready for their new homes. They are on solid feed will have their first set of vaccinations and be wormed upon delivery. Dont miss out on this great set of pups. They are friendly and ready to go. Give me a call at 936-825-1523. Over 20 years breeding these great genetics. Great family pets as well as hunters. From the front porch to the deer blind to your favorite fishing hole they like to go. I have 6 pups ready to go this week. Won't have any more this year so don't miss out on this opportunity. You can contact me at 936-825-1523
                      Attached Files

Comment

Any suggestions on dealing with ants while training?

So far I have put out either a blood trail and/or drag (deer leg or hide) and left treats (deer liver or deer heart) at the end of the trail. Last night i did a longer trail (500 yards) and waited over an hour before putting Tracker on the trail. I left the hide and a few pieces of deer liver for him at the end of the trail. Knowing ants could be a problem (I have had a couple of other tracks where it has been a problem) I try to put the reward off the ground, so I put it on an old piece of farm equipment. But, there were still ants by the time Tracker found his reward and he wasn't too excited about the treats as a result. So, any suggestions on leaving a treat at the end of the trail? It hasn't been an issue when I have put him on fresh trails but I'm trying to let the trails get a little age on them. Thanks in advance.

Comment

So far I have put out either a blood trail and/or drag (deer leg or hide) and left treats (deer liver or deer heart) at the end of the trail. Last night i did a longer trail (500 yards) and waited over an hour before putting Tracker on the trail. I left the hide and a few pieces of deer liver for him at the end of the trail. Knowing ants could be a problem (I have had a couple of other tracks where it has been a problem) I try to put the reward off the ground, so I put it on an old piece of farm equipment. But, there were still ants by the time Tracker found his reward and he wasn't too excited about the treats as a result. So, any suggestions on leaving a treat at the end of the trail? It hasn't been an issue when I have put him on fresh trails but I'm trying to let the trails get a little age on them. Thanks in advance.
                          I had the same problem when I was training my pup as well. I've seen some people use 7 dust or a spray around the treats. I got to where I would lay the trail out let it sit for the amount of time I wanted and when I was ready to let her run the trail I would take the mule and go put the reward out. Made sure I had a back way in to out it so I wouldn't mess up the trail then I would go get her and let her run it.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodtrailer28 View Post
                            I had the same problem when I was training my pup as well. I've seen some people use 7 dust or a spray around the treats. I got to where I would lay the trail out let it sit for the amount of time I wanted and when I was ready to let her run the trail I would take the mule and go put the reward out. Made sure I had a back way in to out it so I wouldn't mess up the trail then I would go get her and let her run it.

They make a bowl with water around it to keep ants out

Comment

You could always tie it off the ground

Comment

Just take treat in ziplock bag and give dog the treat right at moment they find prize, no need to lay it on ground

Comment

Working...
                                X