No announcement yet.

TBH BLOOD DOG TRACKING, TRAINING, & RECOVERY Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got it figured out finally! Just had to figure out how to resize them...computers are difficult for me

Comment

Man, this thread sure makes me wish I wasn’t sitting in class this season. Wish I was out running trails with my Lacys! Good work everyone, Keep it up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Big buck recovered! 156 1/4"

Rosie and I got a call Saturday night from a gentleman that stated his 13 year old son had shot a nice buck that they could not find. After some discussion, we decided to wait until the next morning to track.

Rosie and I started the track around 7am. This was going to be a tough track. There was little blood at the hit sight, the hunter wasn't sure where the deer was hit and not completely sure which way it ran. Rosie started off hot and heavy and things looked good at first, but as time went on she seemed to be "on again, off again" and after two and a half hours and over a mile of tracking, I felt like this may not have been a fatal wound.

We decided to work the woods back towards the trucks and it became clear Rosie was still on track. After another 30 minutes of tracking, I could see Rosie was closing in on a deer. I could see a flash of antlers through the brush and thought "This must be the deer". She gave chase and ended up nose to nose with this bruiser and kept him at bay until I could catch up. After being trailed for 3 hours and a short stand off, the deer fell from exhaustion and I was able to put it down with my pistol. Upon inspection, the original shot was low and had broken the front leg of this buck.

After a 3 hour track and more than a mile of tracking later, I was able to call my customer, who had already started toward the truck, and let him know the buck his son shot had been recovered. This was a fantastic buck, scoring 156 1/4. I am so glad we were able to put this trophy into this young man's hands!
        Attached Files
        Last edited by jtslush; 11-05-2018, 11:57 AM.

Comment

This is the only picture I have, but my boy Ace tracked her. I shot her Friday night at 24 yards and knew it was a leg - gut shot. I quietly left the area and walked the 150 yards back to my house. I heard coyotes all night and just knew they had her. I had to look for her to get my arrow back. Ace took to the track, got off, but came back and realized then what we were after. We circled the tank and then he kept pacing the bank of the water, like "I know it is here somewhere.... where did it go??" That's when I looked into the water and saw her. It was a cold night and the cold water - the meat still good.

And I found my arrow still in her. The broad head went all of the way through.
          Attached Files

Comment

Congrats on the tracks!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
              This is the only picture I have, but my boy Ace tracked her. I shot her Friday night at 24 yards and knew it was a leg - gut shot. I quietly left the area and walked the 150 yards back to my house. I heard coyotes all night and just knew they had her. I had to look for her to get my arrow back. Ace took to the track, got off, but came back and realized then what we were after. We circled the tank and then he kept pacing the bank of the water, like "I know it is here somewhere.... where did it go??" That's when I looked into the water and saw her. It was a cold night and the cold water - the meat still good.

And I found my arrow still in her. The broad head went all of the way through.
              Fantastic. Glad there was a happy ending. I'm still impressed and in awe at what there dogs can find

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah, Ace won't normally go into the water up to his chest but he was so excited he swam out to her, bumped her with his nose and suddenly realized where he was and scrambled back to shore. Then he just barked at her. I had to throw a rope around her neck.

Comment

7 mag to the leg. Buck circled over the same twice over the same trail trying to throw off the dogs. Sadie finally lined him out and bayed him until i got there to finish him off.

Comment

Congrats Jerry and sounds like that ol buck was pretty smart but Sadie got the best of him.!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181114_205518_resized_1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	24560512

Little brother was in town from the military for a few days so had him out and got a little practice for the pup. Shot with a crossbow and she made it 80-100 yards or so. Easy track but just wanted to get the pup on an easy trail. He did great but we will see how he does when they get a little harder.

Comment

This was a team effort. Shot about 8 am with a bow. I arrived with dogs about 430, small drops in an open area and sandy. Dogs had a very hard time lining him out. Finally got to some brush and they lined him out about 60 yards to a dead deer!

Comment

This Buck was shot high with a bow. Dropped dogs and Sadie lined him up quickly. He doubled back to where we started then headed away from us. Sadie took him about 300 yards and bayed him up. Revenge from the hard track!

Comment

Awesome pics and bucks Jerry! Wish I could get the dogs on that many tracks.

Comment

Does anyone know of a place that sells started/finished blood dogs?
                              I don't see much online like you would for duck dogs or hog dogs. I have trained many duck dogs and just got to watch my first blood dog in action the past week and I'm hooked. I love a good working dog. Thanks!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181123_200236_resized.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	24562459

Let the pup run with her tonight and they knocked out this easy track in no time. She only went around 75-100 yards or so and just trying to get the pup on some easy stuff. We will turn it up and make it a little harder later in the season. He has showed alot more drive now that he is finding real deer and not just some meat and hide.

Jerry sika or anybody have any tips on running 2 dogs together...trying to keep them from getting after each other once they find it. Delta didn't want that pup anywhere near her deer but it wasn't to bad once I put a stop to it.

Comment

Working...
                                X