Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any non insulin diabetics out there

Do you take metformin. And how much. What is your diet

I take 500 mg twice a day and have for about the last 5 or 6 years, I started taking Victoza about two years ago because the metformin was keeping it low enough, it's an injectable that boost your pancreas, but it isn't insulin. Diet is the most important thing, It was tough getting off of Dr Peppers, but after a while you get used to it, I cant drink a soda now that's not diet. The carbs are what you have to really be cautious about, rice, pasta, and bread will run your sugar up quick.

Comment

I take 1000mg twice a day and one weekly injection of Bydureon 2mg. I drink nothing but water and black coffee in the AM. No alcohol in a year. Diet is good some weeks and really bad others, but in general ok. This winter I didn't walk much but now that the weather has cleared up I'm back to trying to walk 2.5 miles a day. I walk it hard, almost jog, and it has some elevation change to it.

Comment

I am taking 2500mg of Metformin, have been for about 9 years. Then my body got use to it, now I have to inject insulin and that has brought my numbers down.

Comment

1000 mg a day. I work for Fed Ex so I get plenty of exercise. Go to a Half Price Books and look for the Sugar Busters book, it has some great recipes in it.

Comment

I used to take 1000mg of metformin, but I lost 55 lb and the doctor took me off of all my meds after 3 a1c's of 5.0ish. Told me to keep the weight off, and exercise. I like to ride my mountain bike 5-10 miles a day. My diet was alot of lean proteins and no sodas.

Comment

I take 500mg of Metformin first thing every morning.

I just found out in October that I'm diabetic, it was a bit of a shock. Since then, I have had to radically alter my lifestyle. No more sugar, cut carbs almost completely (except for what comes in veggies, nuts, and other stuff). Mrs fills our fridge and pantry with stuff that is from the DASH diet plan.

No more processed foods. I gave up soda last year, and I don't drink.

I do cheat, 1-2 meals per week. It does throw my blood sugar off, but I can recover it in a little while with some activity.

I do not get enough exercise, this I will admit. I have lost nearly 30 lbs since finding out though. I still have at least 30 more to go, to reach my target weight. I would love to get off of it completely, we'll see how it goes. I have to stay with my program, and start doing more exercise if I really want this to work however.

Comment

I have been on metformin for about 7 years. I took Victoria for a year then got acute pancreatitis from it. Now use gelipizide and metformin. Numbers are good as long as I eat right and exercise daily. Stress is another really big one that will run your numbers up. When I'm gone hunting for 4+ days it drops. I have 70lbs to go and still get 5 to 5.5 on the A1C when exercising regularly. Just like anything else it's what you decide you want out of it and willing to do. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                X