Darted a few blackbuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DTala View Post
    Sucostrin is the "paralyzing" drug, prob with it is that it has a very narrow working dose. Too little and it dosen't work, too much and you have dead animals. We darted a sika couple of years ago, 10-12 seconds is perfect go down time. This one hit the ground in 4 seconds, uh oh too much drug. CPR for ten minutes and all was good, but ten minutes IS A LOOOONG TIME!!!! You have to have an accurate weight guess.
    With me being a medic, CPR on a Sika sounds interesting. I bet that was scary but unique.

Comment

Originally posted by DTala View Post
      Sucostrin is the "paralyzing" drug, prob with it is that it has a very narrow working dose. Too little and it dosen't work, too much and you have dead animals. We darted a sika couple of years ago, 10-12 seconds is perfect go down time. This one hit the ground in 4 seconds, uh oh too much drug. CPR for ten minutes and all was good, but ten minutes IS A LOOOONG TIME!!!! You have to have an accurate weight guess.
      Ha. I've done CPR in the back of a jeep driving out of off roading trails, in a creek bed, front yards and many houses, but all on people! That's pretty crazy! I'd be interested to see that one done!

Comment

Originally posted by Evans Whitetail View Post
        B.A.M is all i use on my whitetails now. They go down quick and are back up and going quickly without being drowsey for long period of time. I have a buddy that has alot of exotics. He said he uses B.A.M for everything now. He said that it only takes 1/2cc for blackbucks to go down.
        Does it work on children?

Comment

I have used Sucostrin several years back and hated that stuff. Will never use it again.

Comment

hogmess

Very cool

Comment

True Story- My cousin bought some crazy cows... they broke into our place, etc... I caught them all but this one that was worse.... Couldnt get near her at all!

He agreed that my buddy could dart her and we would load her in trailer and straight to auction. Never letting her out of trailer.

Had small trailer hooked to my ranger-

Darted cow with dart gun and the Romplin or whatever I think it was....

She acted like nothing even after 20-30 min. So he darted her again. She went down pretty quick and we pull up to her to tie her off,etc.. She freakin jumps up and runs into woods falling down into creek with water. Was able to back the small trailer into the creek right in front of her. Tied off ropes through trailer,etc. to reverse meds and force her into trialer.
              One of us had been holding her head up out of less than knee deep water. Give her reversal and she starts going nuts. WE are pulling ropes and pushing tail and almost getting her wild butt into trailer and she just falls over stone cold dead. Guess she either had heart attack or stressed etc or reaction to meds.

No one wanted to take a chance on eating her so it was off to the coyotes. Waste of several hundred at the time for him. I already told him we were not responsible for anything that happened. He never tried to get any more cows after that

Comment

Just darted another ram. Will post pics shortly.

Comment

We have Blackbuck on our lease. Curios what they are worth if you don't mind giving me an idea.

Comment

Here is a pic of one of the other rams I darted today. I ended up with three rams for today.

Comment

Cool- What happens if you dart one and then can't find it? Does meds wear off without reversal eventually ?

Comment

We darted a blackbuck a couple days ago but it wasn't a good hit. Hit low in the back leg. He ran about 300 yards and crashed. I went to pick him up and he hauled butt. We watched him for the next 20 minutes and he finally got Into some brush and we lost him. We seen him the next day back with the does. I know he went completely out we just couldn't find him.

Comment

The meds I am using will wear off but it is always better to reverse them.

Comment

That's a gorgeous ram

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Headed back out. I have 4 more sheep in one pasture to dart then move to another ranch with 20 or so. Pics to come

Comment

Working...
                                X