80 pound bow???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

80 pound bow???

I am looking to get a bow with a 80 pound draw so that I can shoot heavier arrows. Anyone have any experience with the heavy draw weight or any suggestions on what type of bow to take a look at?? Any pros or cons, other than the fact that 80 pounds could pull my arm off from my body haha, but I figured since im 19 I can probably pull 80 for a while and the extra kinetic energy on the arrow would be great!!

Mathews monster safari

Comment

I shot a 100# draw bow at Santa Fe Archery. It was tough to get back for more than 10-12 shots. The owner, David, bought it to take hunting in Africa. No idea what it was but I'm thinking Mathews Monster since they were pretty much exclusively Mathews back then.

Comment

The pro is bragging rights.

The cons are 1. You will not be 19 forever, and damage done now will show up about 20 years from now and could be very bad. 2. You really have no actual need to shoot a bow with that draw weight, and the increased KE amounts to nothing really. Kinda like shooting a 7 mag at a yearling doe to make her more deader. 3. You will probably have a very hard time tuning the bow and arrow combination, and you are limiting yourself with regards to availability of equipment.

But if you want to, then by all means go for it.

Comment

I have a carbon Spyder turbo that will be here in the next few weeks that is 80 Pounds.. I cant wait till it gets here

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
            The pro is bragging rights.

The cons are 1. You will not be 19 forever, and damage done now will show up about 20 years from now and could be very bad. 2. You really have no actual need to shoot a bow with that draw weight, and the increased KE amounts to nothing really. Kinda like shooting a 7 mag at a yearling doe to make her more deader. 3. You will probably have a very hard time tuning the bow and arrow combination, and you are limiting yourself with regards to availability of equipment.

But if you want to, then by all means go for it.
            This. I shoot a 70# Monster that flings 450 grain arrows in the 320's. If you need more than that, bring a rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by jason.dickens View Post
              I am looking to get a bow with a 80 pound draw so that I can shoot heavier arrows. Anyone have any experience with the heavy draw weight or any suggestions on what type of bow to take a look at?? Any pros or cons, other than the fact that 80 pounds could pull my arm off from my body haha, but I figured since im 19 I can probably pull 80 for a while and the extra kinetic energy on the arrow would be great!!
              I guess the question is how much heavier an arrow an why?

You don't necessarrily need a heavier draw weight bow to shoot a heavier arrow. Now I'm not one with a lot of expericence with heavier draw weight bows because I have only shot 70# and below. But to be perfectly honest I really don't see any need to shoot anything other than a 50 or 60 or maybe even less. A 60 will give you a clean pass through on a deer with no problem. If your arrow penetrates deep enough to cut an artery, your gold. A bow kills by hemeroage.

Comment

If you condition your body 80lbs will be nothing

Most guys that advocate light draw weights don't excercise/condition theirselves.

Get in the gym, do your back excercises and 80 will be cake

Btw bowtech makes a 80lb bow

I personally shoot 72#'s

That being said, for a whitetail, 80# isn't necessary.

With today's bows you can shoot 60# bows that outperform a 70# bow from 5 years ago

Comment

Indians bows were about 40 lbs. They killed lots of buffalo. Id say pull what you are comfortable and accurate with.

Comment

I shoot 600+ grains out of 55#
                    Not sure why you want to go 80#.
                    Just remember, 80 is much harder than 60-65 and being harder to draw means more movement which means getting busted more often

Comment

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post
                      If you condition your body 80lbs will be nothing

Most guys that advocate light draw weights don't excercise/condition theirselves.

Get in the gym, do your back excercises and 80 will be cake

Btw bowtech makes a 80lb bow

I personally shoot 72#'s

That being said, for a whitetail, 80# isn't necessary.

With today's bows you can shoot 60# bows that outperform a 70# bow from 5 years ago
                      All the conditioning in the world won't let you overcome bad/deteriorating shoulders.

Comment

I have an 80# bow that gets shot very seldom over my 72# destroyer. I shoot 383 grain arrows out of my destroyer at 335fps. The lightest arrow I found that would tune to my liking in my 80# alpha max weighs in at 451 grains. The amount of kinetic energy is pretty much identical. That being said I can shoot the 383 grain arrows out of my 80#er and they scream but they won't tune worth a crap and that puts you below ibo weight which kind of scares me in a factory bow.

With that being said if you just want to shoot 80# I would highly recommend going with the smoothest drawing bow you can find that weight in so you can draw it with the least amount of movement possible.

Comment

I shoot an 80# elite. Currently shooting 501gr arrows @ 301fps on average. I also shoot a 51# lobgbow pushing a 675 gr arrow. There is nothing wrong with shooting any bow that you can comfortably shoot. If you feel good about a 53# tradbow or a 100# Hoyt it really only matters to you.

Comment

Originally posted by elkbowhunter View Post
                            Indians bows were about 40 lbs. They killed lots of buffalo. Id say pull what you are comfortable and accurate with.
                            While I agree... that kinda falls off topic on the OPs thread

Comment

Where and what are you hunting?

Comment

Working...
                              X