Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CFB - Recruiting and Off Season News (not Smack!)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
    Those baby sized hands are supposedly what doomed Shepard.
    Both at QB and receiver. His slight build didn't help either. Lsu tried to find a spot for his playmaking ability. Too many dropped passes and basically being body slammed on tackles hurt his playing time.

http://touch.dailymotion.com/video/x...rom-2009_sport
    I think the point is that Les lied to him about playing QB to get him on campus and then find a spot for him on the field. Anyone who saw him play in HS knew he wasn't going to be a QB at a big time school.

Comment

Originally posted by krisw View Post
      Every game I saw Jamarcus play was terrible. If he holds the LSU records for a qb, it's because they haven't ever thrown the ball. Perriloux was interviewed and he said he wishes he had gone to Texas looking back. He felt like he would have been kept out of trouble better.

you must have amnesia brother ; you're probably thinking about his professional career with the Raiders where he did suck royally

in CFB, JM received the 2007 Manning award (VY won it in 2006) ,and was arguably the best passing QB in the SEC and one of the top 5 QB's in the country for several passing categories in 2005-2006.

He was very accurate and extremely efficient as his size and scrambling ability were like no one else. Dude lit it up in the 2006 Sugar Bowl and embarrassed #11 ranked Notre Dame 41-14

Russell finished his career ranked No. 2 in school history in passing touchdowns with 52 and completion percentage of 61.9%. He also ranks No. 3 in LSU history in completions (493), passing yards (6,625) and total offense (6,704) and he's fourth in attempts (797). He only played 3 yrs and turned pro after his Jr season.

Comment

He certainly was no VY.....or Colt.......or Johnny.....or RG3.....

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
          He certainly was no VY.....or Colt.......or Johnny.....or RG3.....
          Who said he was? We said in Lsu history. He was drafted higher than 3 of those guys and the other we shall see in a few months but he may go número uno. His pro career has faired about as well as 3 of those guys also

Comment

Originally posted by RaginCagin View Post
            Who said he was? We said in Lsu history. He was drafted higher than 3 of those guys and the other we shall see in a few months but he may go número uno. His pro career has faired about as well as 3 of those guys also
            Except for 2 of them were Offensive Rookie of the Year. And pretty sure they made the Pro Bowl. I know at least one did....
            Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
            you must have amnesia brother ; you're probably thinking about his professional career with the Raiders where he did suck royally

in CFB, JM received the 2007 Manning award (VY won it in 2006) ,and was arguably the best passing QB in the SEC and one of the top 5 QB's in the country for several passing categories in 2005-2006.

He was very accurate and extremely efficient as his size and scrambling ability were like no one else. Dude lit it up in the 2006 Sugar Bowl and embarrassed #11 ranked Notre Dame 41-14

Russell finished his career ranked No. 2 in school history in passing touchdowns with 52 and completion percentage of 61.9%. He also ranks No. 3 in LSU history in completions (493), passing yards (6,625) and total offense (6,704) and he's fourth in attempts (797). He only played 3 yrs and turned pro after his Jr season.
            That Sugar Bowl was the only game I saw where he wasn't terrible. I was shocked he was drafted #1. I didn't watch a lot of Lsu games, but I wasn't impressed the ones I saw.

Comment

Originally posted by MassMan View Post
              I think the point is that Les lied to him about playing QB to get him on campus and then find a spot for him on the field. Anyone who saw him play in HS knew he wasn't going to be a QB at a big time school.
              Les may have told him that?
              I also know a lot of times the media and other schools will say those things to deter recruits in the future from signing with other programs.

Never heard Shepard make those statements. And, he seemed to talk well about his time at Lsu.

I seriously doubt it is uncommon. Les like any other coach is a bs'er
              and will do what it takes to win. I see the same thing on the H S level.

Comment

Les may have told him that?
                I also know a lot of times the media and other schools will say those things to deter recruits in the future from signing with other programs.

Never heard Shepard make those statements. And, he seemed to talk well about his time at Lsu.

I seriously doubt it is uncommon. Les like any other coach is a bs'er
                and will do what it takes to win. I see the same thing on the H S level.
                No disrespect to Les, but the bold part just isn't true. Not all coaches BS recruits

Comment

Originally posted by RaginCagin View Post
                  But, but, the others failed because of the team they went to, or the coach was forced to draft them, or they were misused, or the coach didn't like them and purposely watched them struggle and fail, or....

Comment

Originally posted by bdchorn View Post
                    No disrespect to Les, but the bold part just isn't true. Not all coaches BS recruits
                    You are right. Only the ones still living do.

Comment

You are right. Only the ones still living are.
                      Mack Brown is still living. If he was willing to BS recruits I can think of a few that would have played for UT and didn't. I'm sure there are others but I agree that the majority of coaches lie to recruits

Comment

From what I have heard and read during R S's career he was given the chance to play QB and plays were even designed for him to step in at times and run.
                        He just couldn't beat the others out. Is that true?
                        Who know? I do think if it was that bad he wouldn't have talked up Lsu the way he did.
                        He was a fan favorite and people wanted to see him do well.

Comment

Originally posted by bdchorn View Post
                          Mack Brown is still living. If he was willing to BS recruits I can think of a few that would have played for UT and didn't. I'm sure there are others but I agree that the majority of coaches lie to recruits
                          I am glad some of us arent so naive. Do you really think Mack never told recruits what they wanted to hear?

Comment

Originally posted by Pin Oak DXT View Post
                            I am glad some of us arent so naive. Do you really think Mack never told recruits what they wanted to hear?
                            If he did then JFF would be a Longhorn. No, I really don't and I think it hurt him. Mack was proud of his offered/committed ratio. He would often brag that he offered 25 kids and got 23. Trying to lie to a kid doesn't help that average. Do I think shady recruiting happens all the time? Of course, but you can look at kids that Texas either didn't recruit at all or could have easily lied to and didn't and see a LONG list of guys that got away. If Mack was lying, he wasn't doing it enough and he darn sure wasn't doing it to the right guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Pin Oak DXT View Post

One of the things that always was talked about with Mack is how honest and upfront Mack was about how he would use the player. At times he was so honest it hurt him. I truly believe this as I have heard this story told over and over.

Comment

Originally posted by Heath View Post
                                One of the things that always was talked about with Mack is how honest and upfront Mack was about how he would use the player. At times he was so honest it hurt him. I truly believe this as I have heard this story told over and over.
                                This. A prime example of how Mack operated was his departure. It would have been best for the University for Mack to say nothing at all until after the bowl game. Instead, Mack told all the recruits on banquet weekend when they were in town on their official visit. He told them flat out that he still thought Texas was a great place for them but if him not being there would change their decisions then he wanted them to know then so they had time to look at other schools if they wanted. Bear in mind this was all way before CS was hired but Mack thought more about the players than he did the school. Just the way he was.

Comment

Working...
                                X