Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any biologists or people that know food plots out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any biologists or people that know food plots out there?

I have tried looking online at seed and instructions for food plots for our reagan County ranch, but I just don't think i can get a knack for what they are saying. Is there anyone out there for a decent price that knows how to make plots work in West texas that can be hired? We have a tractor and equipment.

I would take some soil samples first. They have some inexpensive kits you can buy at most nurseries. That will tell you, according to the seed manufacturer, how much lime or fertilizer to use. They are really simple to do if you have the equipment. No different that planting oats for the most part.

Comment

sounds easy

sounds easy...but I am a cop and not a farmer. Wish i was though. I will try the soil sample thing.

Comment

Definately do a soil sample and find out the Ph. That will let you know how much if any lime is needed to be plowed into the ground to balance out the PH. Tecomate lab Lab is very good in Texas, BUT you MUST high fence it or the deer will eat it away before it reaches 1" tall. Another good one is their Outback mix. This one is a perrineal (comes up year after year). Lab Lab Plus works too. If you think you get enough rain try Soybeans but plant some early and some late. Other than that I would try plain ol oats. How big of an area do you plan to plant?

Comment

I planted about 5 acres worth of lablab plus a few years back. It came up great and the deer loved it. I have been playing around with different things and the best horn development I have ever seen was after the year with lablab plus. I am going to plant a good 10 acres this next spring.

Comment

does anything grow in Reagan County.
            seriously, with an annual rainfall of 20" it will be difficult.
            call the county agent and ask what and when.

Comment

I hunted Reagan and Irion county for 11 yrs and as said above, there is really not enough rain. We tried just about everything and if it came up the deer would eat down before it could really take hold and do any good. If the place you want to plant wouldn't work for a regular farming operation then it won't work for a food plot. Good Luck, if you get something to work, Please let us know.

Comment

20 inches of rain annually....ouch.

Unless you can irrigate...save your money and buy some big protein feeders.

Comment

I have hunted in Regan county and nothing worked.... like the others have said save your money.

Comment

The best thing we found was a self mixture of winter wheat and hearty oats. We've tried all of the mixes out there and with the limited amount of rain we get this works the best.

Comment

Thanks guys!!! We already feed 900 lbs of protein feed a week. We have awindmill with tank I guess I could hook an electric pump to and try to irrigate a food plot. Lots of work to it for sure. I will contact the county agent. I guess I can also look at what I can do to increase natural forage. Does just discing up the ground help? How about putting some fertilizer on natural forage?

Comment

Working...
                      X