Guest Mistake Stories...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DirtyDave View Post
    You can technically call the GW and bust your "friend" for poaching. He shot a deer he didn't have permission to shoot. Permission was only given to shoot a Doe/Spike in this case.

I had a very strict do not shoot list that included pictures and likely locations. I would even send pics to people’s phones if they wanted them. I made the point you mentioned very clear to them. They did not have permission to shoot those deer. I would take it as far as I could if they did. In 9 years I never had a mistake made on a Do Not Shoot deer thank goodness. I can be generous to a fault at times but I will not be taken advantage of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
      I had a very strict do not shoot list that included pictures and likely locations. I would even send pics to people’s phones if they wanted them. I made the point you mentioned very clear to them. They did not have permission to shoot those deer. I would take it as far as I could if they did. In 9 years I never had a mistake made on a Do Not Shoot deer thank goodness. I can be generous to a fault at times but I will not be taken advantage of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like your style [emoji1303]

Comment

Guest Mistake Stories...

Ok, this one is a little different,
        So you’ll have to bear with me a little.

About ten years ago, I was wanting to go on an African safari, and I spent a lot of time doing my research over several years. I usually go to a fundraiser auction where a safari or two are offered, so I knew there might be an opportunity for a decent deal there, but wanted to know what I was doing. Well the fundraiser comes around and I decide I’m ready if things are right, and what do you know, everything breaks my way and I buy a great first trip for up to 4 hunters. My dad was with me at the auction and was all-in and supportive, and wanted to come along; great.

So I get with the outfitter and set the date of the trip, about 9 months out, and invite two other friends to go. They are stoked; and the outfitter has an easy to understand website where you can pick your target species and figure your budget. I even make up a spreadsheet to figure freight and taxidermy work and send it to my dad and other guests to help them figure things out. I was providing the 7 day hunt, and all they needed to do was pay trophy fees and tips.

Well, fast forward a couple months, and I talk with our outfitter, and he’s going to be at the DSC convention. Sweet, I get my dad and another buddy and we hit the show, talk a lot with our outfitter, talk with other outfitters and have a great time. Lots of great info.

Fast forward another 6 months, and we’re a few weeks from leaving on the trip. I’ve done all the leg work for rifle permits, flight planning, packing lists, etc. Last thing is more shooting practice. I’ve been shooting a new 375 Weatherby I bought for this hunt a lot and am very solid with it at this point, but my dad still hasn’t picked up a rifle since pulling the trigger twice last deer season. I finally have to get a little rough with him and tell him that he has to come practice with me or we’re going to have a problem. Anyways, I get him to pull the trigger a half dozen times, results are just ok, not great. There’s not much time to do anything about it at that point anyway. More troubling is, he hasn’t decided what species he wants to hunt. I tell him he needs to figure it out.

Well fast forward to our third day of the safari, he still hasn’t decided what to hunt. I mean, how can you have known about this trip for 9 months and still not have figured out what to do. He hates spending money, which is part of the problem, although he’s got plenty of it.

We hunt a different ranch on the third day that is just gorgeous, animals everywhere, basically paradise. I have an awesome morning and have an impala, zebra, and Blesbok all in the bakkie; and we’re still stalking. We come across another good blesbok and the PH tells my dad, here’s a good one you should take it. So my dad gets his rifle on the sticks and can’t find the animal in the scope. I mean it’s right there, but he’s struggling. He’s tightening up, feeling some pressure, and then the farts hit. Bad. The PH and Rancher are standing right behind him as well as the gas just keeps coming. It’s so bad he has to recompose himself and get off the rifle. The blesbok decides to move about 20 yards away, and the PH and the rancher reset my dad for another shot attempt. Well, here come the farts again. The PH and the rancher have been great during all this, I’ve been trying my hardest not to start cracking up, I’m like biting my lip with tears in my eyes. Finally I hear the PH say, “wait, don’t shoot now”, followed of course by: boom! The blesbok was turning to walk away again and my dad shot it in the right ham. Luckily caught the spine and paralyzed it so they could move up and finish it.

Then, that night we go out for a night hunt where I’m looking for a jackal. We see some eyes and I get my rifle up. The PH and I are glassing trying to identify what we’re looking at and, BOOM! My dad has a negligent discharge of his rifle, thank god pointing up and away, but the muzzle was maybe 2’ from our ears. He didn’t hunt the rest of the trip. He didn’t even want to have his Blesbok shipped back. Also kinda made an *** of himself at camp trying to force the PHs to drink some wine he brought along, when they told him 100 times it’s against their outfitters policy for them to drink with hunters in camp.

My other two guests and I have a great trip and luckily my dad’s shenanigans don’t get too much in the way. The funny part now is my dad wants to come public land DIY elk hunting with me. It’s like, “you almost literally crapped your pants on a hunt that was served up on a platter by pros and now you think you can hunt where you have to work your butt off and figure everything out yourself at high elevation?”

I would pay $1000 to have a video of him uncontrollably farting with the rifle on the sticks. Funniest thing I’ve ever seen hunting.
        Last edited by 686; 11-08-2021, 09:35 PM.

Comment

^^^ that was almost a Crappy hunt! Haha

Comment

Originally posted by 686 View Post

About ten years ago, I was wanting to go on an African safari, and I spent a lot of time doing my research over several years. I usually go to a fundraiser auction where a safari or two are offered, so I knew there might be an opportunity for a decent deal there, but wanted to know what I was doing. Well the fundraiser comes around and I decide I’m ready if things are right, and what do you know, everything breaks my way and I buy a great first trip for up to 4 hunters. My dad was with me at the auction and was all-in and supportive, and wanted to come along; great.

So I get with the outfitter and set the date of the trip, about 9 months out, and invite two other friends to go. They are stoked; and the outfitter has an easy to understand website where you can pick your target species and figure your budget. I even make up a spreadsheet to figure freight and taxidermy work and send it to my dad and other guests to help them figure things out. I was providing the 7 day hunt, and all they needed to do was pay trophy fees and tips.

Well, fast forward a couple months, and I talk with our outfitter, and he’s going to be at the DSC convention. Sweet, I get my dad and another buddy and we hit the show, talk a lot with our outfitter, talk with other outfitters and have a great time. Lots of great info.

Fast forward another 6 months, and we’re a few weeks from leaving on the trip. I’ve done all the leg work for rifle permits, flight planning, packing lists, etc. Last thing is more shooting practice. I’ve been shooting a new 375 Weatherby I bought for this hunt a lot and am very solid with it at this point, but my dad still hasn’t picked up a rifle since pulling the trigger twice last deer season. I finally have to get a little rough with him and tell him that he has to come practice with me or we’re going to have a problem. Anyways, I get him to pull the trigger a half dozen times, results are just ok, not great. There’s not much time to do anything about it at that point anyway. More troubling is, he hasn’t decided what species he wants to hunt. I tell him he needs to figure it out.

Well fast forward to our third day of the safari, he still hasn’t decided what to hunt. I mean, how can you have known about this trip for 9 months and still not have figured out what to do. He hates spending money, which is part of the problem, although he’s got plenty of it.

We hunt a different ranch on the third day that is just gorgeous, animals everywhere, basically paradise. I have an awesome morning and have an impala, zebra, and Blesbok all in the bakkie; and we’re still stalking. We come across another good blesbok and the PH tells my dad, here’s a good one you should take it. So my dad gets his rifle on the sticks and can’t find the animal in the scope. I mean it’s right there, but he’s struggling. He’s tightening up, feeling some pressure, and then the farts hit. Bad. The PH and Rancher are standing right behind him as well as the gas just keeps coming. It’s so bad he has to recompose himself and get off the rifle. The blesbok decides to move about 20 yards away, and the PH and the rancher reset my dad for another shot attempt. Well, here come the farts again. The PH and the rancher have been great during all this, I’ve been trying my hardest not to start cracking up, I’m like biting my lip with tears in my eyes. Finally I hear the PH say, “wait, don’t shoot now”, followed of course by: boom! The blesbok was turning to walk away again and my dad shot it in the right ham. Luckily caught the spine and paralyzed it so they could move up and finish it.

Then, that night we go out for a night hunt where I’m looking for a jackal. We see some eyes and I get my rifle up. The PH and I are glassing trying to identify what we’re looking at and, BOOM! My dad has a negligent discharge of his rifle, thank god pointing up and away, but the muzzle was maybe 2’ from our ears. He didn’t hunt the rest of the trip. He didn’t even want to have his Blesbok shipped back. Also kinda made an *** of himself at camp trying to force the PHs to drink some wine he brought along, when they told him 100 times it’s against their outfitters policy for them to drink with hunters in camp.

My other two guests and I have a great trip and luckily my dad’s shenanigans don’t get too much in the way. The funny part now is my dad wants to come public land DIY elk hunting with me. It’s like, “you almost literally crapped your pants on a hunt that was served up on a platter by pros and now you think you can hunt where you have to work your butt off and figure everything out yourself at high elevation?”

I would pay $1000 to have a video of him uncontrollably farting with the rifle on the sticks. Funniest thing I’ve ever seen hunting.

I don’t think I could’ve kept my composure…LOL

Comment

I’ve gone hunting with a buddy on his place a few times. When I go I’m hunting off his allotment, so it’s generally does and hogs, although he’s told me if I see a buck I can’t pass to go for it. He took another mutual friend out a couple of years ago. This guy is almost 70 and has hunted his whole life, so there wasn’t any concern with leaving him alone to hunt. About 30 minutes later my buddy hears 7-8 shots over the course of a minute or two. Apparently the guy had some does come out to his feeder, but “wanted the challenge” of shooting the doe that was at another lease member’s feeder- 500 yds down the pipeline. He did not hit the doe, and was not invited back.

Comment

I have two stories...

#1: I was probably 13 years old and we hunted on 2200 acres in Rocksprings that my grandfathers best friend owned. He owned his own business and occasionally brought out some clients to hunt, which was not a big deal because he did not charge us for the lease. One weekend we were all there and he had brought clients, First morning hunt he puts one of them in a stand with a huge opening. A little after day break, we hear seven shots from him, turns out he had shot this small buck with the first shot and since he started running he continued to empty his lever action .30-30 into this deer. He gets the deer back to camp and once he tells the owner his shot it seven times, his hunt is over. If I remember correctly the man and his group were made to leave that day.

#2: Working for a company about 10 years ago I was invited to hunt on a vendors personal family ranch the second weekend of the season. This family had the land high fenced, all native deer were removed so they could bring in "Big" genetics, bucks and does many years before I was invited. The evening before the hunt we are told what we were allowed to shoot, I was given the green light on a Trophy and another hunter had brought his son to shoot his first deer, be it a doe or cull buck. The first morning I hear a shot early and then about 30 minutes later the buck in my avatar steps out and I shoot him. I get down go get my buck and the guy with his son pull up. Now remember these are not native texas genetics and the guy lets his son shoot his first buck which was probably 1.5 year old 8 point that had tall tines and a decent spread. You could tell the buck had some great potential. We get back to camp, the owner congratulates me on my buck, we take some pictures and the other guys asks the owner what he thought about the buck his son shot and the turns to him and tells him "I think its too F-ing late" turns around and walks off. Now the guy did not have to pay for anything or leave but they did have a discussion to let him know he was ****** and his son could have shot a doe or cull buck for his fist deer.

Comment

Originally posted by BBRU View Post
                  I don’t think I could’ve kept my composure…LOL

Luckily the PH was a great guy and he and I laughed our butts off about it later. Since my dad didn’t hunt the last few days, I had plenty of time with the PH to apologize and hear some other funny stories from him. He said crazy times usually start when he picks a client up from the airport and the client quickly starts talking about how proficient he is with his rifle, how much game he’s taken with this rifle, and how nothing is going to be a problem; then in the morning when they open up the rifle case to check the zero at the range; the rifle still has a price tag on it.

Comment

Originally posted by 686 View Post

that was the last thing id eveer think would happen to someone. that is funny as hell! thanks for sharing

Comment

Originally posted by black dallas View Post
                      that was the last thing id eveer think would happen to someone. that is funny as hell! thanks for sharing

Even though he was a pain at the time, I probably can call it even as he definitely made things very memorable. When I tell this story around a campfire and mix in some physical comedy it’s the best, I’ve had multiple folks in tears.

Comment

Been a whole month of rifle season for the fuds. Anything new?

Comment

My first year deer hunting we were on a ranch North of Sonora, guess I was 11 or 12. We arrived in camp late one afternoon just as two hunters on the lease were bringing in a deer. It was a pretty nice rack, but what I remembered the most was the huge hole in the rib cage. Well, a few weeks later one of those guys got feed up with sheep or goats at the feeder. He proceeded to shoot them until he ran out of shells. In case you were wondering, the lease was not renewed.

Comment

This is not a deer hunting mistake story but anyway
                            I invited my boss to come dove hunting and bass fishing in cotulla and he is pumped because
                            Every week everyone is talking about the great food, limits of dove , bass fishing,
                            Saturday evening of the trip, everyone has limited out except him and we are having a “ safety meeting “ with cocktails by the trucks except the boss man , when a group of dove fly between the safety meeting and the boss and we can see it in slow motion, him shoot twice , he peppered
                            The whole group with #6 or 7 1/2 , danged that bird shot is burning hot till picked out,
                            Holy smokes he was embarrassed and people were giving him the WTH !
                            He didn’t want to hunt Sunday and stayed in camp and cooked breakfast.
                            It took a couple of invitations to get him back to hunting, kinda felt sorry for him afterwards
                            Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 12-09-2021, 08:31 PM.

Comment

I hope you got a raise after that S-3

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JAGR View Post
                                That's the hardest part about hunting IMO, getting people to follow the rules/management plan.
                                Yep, very difficult. This is why I only hunt with my wife and kids, not to mention all the other crap I have seen on leases, it can get ugly. When it come to horns some hunter lose their mind.

Comment

Working...
                                X